Stuart

CCD vs TV Line Please HelP!

Could someone please answer this tech question for me:

Assuming that both of these cameras are of the same quality, which would give me a better (daytime) viewing image for the same application.

1. Sony 1/3 CCD with 420 TV Lines

2. Sony 1/4 CCD with 480 TV Lines

I would appreciate any assistance I can get, as this is beyond my ability to compare.

Thanks! So, if I require a 6mm lens with the 1/4 ccd with (480 lines) the image will be a bit narrower than with the 1/3 ccd (420) line?

If this is true then, could I possible drop down about 1mm on the lens to 4mm or 5mm (if available) to get the same view as a 1/3 ccd for the above application? Again,thanks for responding!

1/4 480TV Line? It`s so funny. Our factory make 100,000pcs of cctv cameras. but I haven`t saw any 1/4 480tv line. just 1/3 480tv line.

Is this a special one?

I am learning more and more all of the time. I see such advertisements of 1/4 ccd with 480 tv lines all of the time. I know it does not mean that the add is true or correct. You would think that there would be a rule of law aginst such false ads if in fact they are false. Thanks again for professional inputs.

You would think that there would be a rule of law aginst such false ads if in fact they are false.

I think there is. If the false specifications were to cause you damages in some way I am pretty sure you could win a judgement in court.

As far as I can see, according to sony their are ccd's out there in 1/4", even 1/6" that should have enough effective pixels to cope with 480tvl.

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/pro/image_senser/color_video.html

Although, it would depend on the rest of the camera on how many tvls it had, its not just the one part that decides, its lots of them working together.

I do agree though, lots of specs are often inaccurate when it comes to cctv...