CCTV_Suppliers

Slow connection to the forum

Is anyone having problems with connection and navigation in the the forum? Looks like every time I connect, it takes a very long time to switch between pages.. and this was not the case last year..

My up and down Internet speed is very high and I do not see similar problems navigating other websites...

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

It's probably the web server. Most hosting companies use virtual servers, where many web sites are hosted on one physical server. To save money, some hosting companies cram far too many web sites onto one server, and performance drops to practically unusable. I had this problem with AIT, and it just kept getting worse, so I reviewed a web hosting rating service and selected Hostmonster.com. So far, performance has been exceptional.

Best,

Christopher

I’ve also noticed that navigation slowed down quit a lot over the past few weeks. Not being much of a computer guy, I thought it might be something going on with my setup. But, like you CCTV-Suppliers, I don’t have that much trouble with other sites.

I also noticed that things that were centered before are now to the left.

Perhaps the site is simply becoming more popular.

This forum is much too small for that to cause performance problems.

Best,

Christopher

I've noticed, in addition to the slowdown, some various database and server errors. Having run phpBB-based websites and other MySQL-based sites, I'd hazard a guess that the site's phpBB database is corrupted, which would easily account for both issues.

A database scan-and-repair will probably fix it... it's really easy with MySQL, especially if one has command-line access

Yes, I'm seeing big slowdowns and server error messages. Not as bad this morning as it was yesterday. But still slow. No errors yet today.

Cluttered cache isn't the cause of "500 Server Error" messages and various intermittent MySQL errors.

Unfortunately, if it is a damaged/corrupted database, a scan-and-repair is the only real fix... just because it stopped happening doesn't mean it's fixed itself, it just means you're not running into the damaged table(s).

But like I say, it's an easy fix from a command line, if anyone in charge wants to know...

It is still a little slow and still getting some errors.

Hey bud, clear your browser cache...

Do that every day

A little paranoid are we? Actually I can see that being good, but man would I hate having to enter all those user/passwords every day. I must go to 9 or 10 sites a day that require login.

Hey bud, clear your browser cache...

Do that every day

A little paranoid are we? Actually I can see that being good, but man would I hate having to enter all those user/passwords every day. I must go to 9 or 10 sites a day that require login.

Those are stored in cookies, not cache.

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it except do as you have done and continue to report the problem to the forum moderators. As was stated above, this problem is not caused by issues on our computers. The problem is at the server. The most likely cause it too many virtual hosts being hosted on one physical server. Someone needs to contact tech support at 1&1 and request improved bandwidth.

Best,

Christopher

Thanks for the correction Soundy.

I just got another "500 server error" posting to another thread... if anyone is keeping score.

The idea about this problem was not to "keep score"... rather inform the owners of this forum that there are various problems with connection, the speed and error messages.... It is up to them if and when will they completely solve these issues...

It is great that there recommendation on how to fix it, but it is a mute point unless moderators will address them and I am sure they already have done it (as I am seeing major improvements) and will continue working on the errors...

I do not see any errors anymore.. but slowdown is still present. Dependent how many times anyone visits this forum, I am sure you guys can tell how well everything works...

The idea about this problem was not to "keep score"...

It's called levity, Levon.

rather inform the owners of this forum that there are various problems with connection, the speed and error messages....

Isn't that what I did?

The issues with the forums errors and response times have been addressed with the host.

I believe most of the error messages have been fixed and the "slowness" should be handled soon if not corrected already.

Thanks for your patience.

The issues with the forums errors and response times have been addressed with the host.

Performance remains poor. I've read this book before. I know how it ends. Performance will improve when this forum is hosted with a top-rated hosting service. You can talk and talk to the current hosting service, but in the end, it won't help. I know it's not easy picking up sticks and moving to another service. Been there, done that. However, after the move, you'll say wow, why did I wait so long.

Check out some of the Top 10 Web Hosting rating services and read the reviews.

Best,

Christopher