Theodore

Dont see the BNC... need feed back

Okay here it goes this might be a no brainer to most of you but as i said before still getting my feet wet. I had a camera flicker on and off and then just shut off, well the screen is black im pretty sure the DVR still is recording. I checked the settings on the DVR and then went over to the camera itself.

As i took it off the ceiling tile i realized there is not BNC cable it is just 2 wires (red/black) connecting the camera. Now im assuming this connects to the alarm system then to the DVR. Now i have no alarm knowledge but i do have wire knowledge ....SO is what i am saying possible? How would i trouble shoot the alarm system or if i replace it what do i look for to make it compatible to a system like this.

MOST IMPORTANT i would love a link to a DIT or wiring diagrham, anything the contains any info about any of the above. Thanks

The previous installer was probably too cheap to use bnc connections and just spliced together some wires. Was probably held together by black tape. That is why you dont see the BNC.

Two wires, red and black?

Im thinking those sound like the power wires....

Maybe the video cable fell off and is lying nearby in the false ceiling...

What connections are on the back of the camera, what model of camera is it? What are the red and black wires connected to?

Some cameras have in-built baluns, so you could use two wires instead of coax, but its not that common.

The previous installer was probably too cheap to use bnc connections and just spliced together some wires. Was probably held together by black tape. That is why you dont see the BNC.

I was pulling all the old CCTV wires at my store shortly after taking the job and found that the person in my position prior to me had ran 18-2 with RCA connectors for video, but yes, with black tape. Needless to say I was shocked.

I have computer guys around my area that install a system cheap then the customer later calls me because they can't be found I spend a day replacing wires and connectors. The waste of tape they use.....