I have been intstalling dvr's for a company that uses divis dvr cards and sometimes the video freezes on one or two screens or sometimes the whole system. Reset the computer and works fine for a week or two and then freezes again. Is it the cards or some other component of the computer? Also with these cards one screen may not show video for instance port five doesn't show any video but the camera works fine if you hook it up to port 6 so basically any camera that you hook up to port five is just a blank screen. Anyone have any input?

I don't use those cards, but are you using a good amount of ram on this system? What OS? Also, are you using a built in video card on the motherboard, or did you install a separate one? You can sometimes get by with the onboard, but often you will need to by an external card. If using onbard, sometimes the bios gives you an option to increase the ram allocation to the video card. Might want to tweak it.

The operating system is xp. I don't build them but I'm the guy who has to try to fix. The customer may have faulty elec, also but I'm not an electrician. We seem to have the same occuring problems and not isolated to one incendent. I appreciate the comments. I know the vga connection is built in to the motherboard so am I correct to assume that its built in video card?

Also Is their anyone here that builds their own dvr's, if so I would appreciate some input on quality components to use to do so such as power supply's, motherboards, video cards and dvr cards. What kind of dvr card do you use?

I have only been working with surveillance for the past 9 month's so I am relatively new at this but I am hard-headed enough to perceiver(spelling) despite my ignorance.

If a hard drive is not ventilated enough would that cause system to freeze up.

With a built in video graphics card, I would consider looking at an external card... even a cheap one will have lots more ram than the built in one on the mother board. If you are not getting a new one, at least check to see how much memory is allocated to it in the BIOS options. Sometimes they are adjustable, and you can devote more ram to the video processor.

I had a 120A16 Divis card with channel 6 that went bad ( no signal)after 2 months use. It ended up being a tiny shorted capacitor on the input. replaced and it was fine.

I have installed 4 of these cards in systems all with the cheapest ATI video card i could find... and all have been running perfectly, and the longest has been running for 4 years straight now.. only 2 fans on the computer have died.

Try buying a $30 ATI video card and pop it in the boxes see what happens then.. $30 is a small fee to pay to never have to go back out...

Oh yea.. the only issue i've had with one of these cards is when i used the onboard video... it worked but i had to turn on hardware "something" i forget, and i had to bump up the memory from the bios.. like someone else said above.

Also don't forget to check the Error Log that windows has... the Event Viewer... and you have to vent PC's if they are in a hot office under a desk all day.