squale

How to view the cameras while installing them?

Since I will be up on a ladder outside my house installing cameras, how do I see them without running back and forth from outside to inside to see my computer monitor...

I was thinking of maybe using my laptop with remote desktop software into my GV system...

just have to figure out how to hold the laptop while on the ladder, lol

I still have to figure out how to hook my power lead up first...

I got the transformer for the camera with me and and it's 22 awg wire coming out of it, and my Siamese cable has 18 AWG power wire...

I just don't know how I am going to connect the cylinder power plug on the trasformer/camera to the bare leads on the siamese cable

If the splice is in an electrical box, or in the attic then you can just use wirenuts. If it is an exposed splice then you will have to do your best with solder, tape and shrink tubing.

I guess I should have said the legality of a splice in the attic without an electrical box will depend on your “Local Authority Having Jurisdiction“. Around here low voltage splices don't have to be in boxes.

My video camera has video inputs. I adapt the video signal so I can view it right through the display.

Got a Casio EV-570 today. Tried it out on a couple of cameras and it works fine. Small screen; not very good for viewing TV (which it was made for); but you can tell from the dots on the screen when the camera is in focus.

Not a bad solution for $100. Didn't want to pay the $250+ for the mini-monitors from spytown. No doubt the dedicated mini-monitors are better, but the Casio does the job.