EgbertSouses

Quality Standalone versus PC Based

I've been looking around to setup a surveillance system and have come across the following...

I see a IC Real Time DVR Flex system (8 channel) that goes for about $1800. At that price, I can make my own PC-based system that would probably be at the very least, equivalent in terms of hardware specs but with added flexibility.

I always hear standalones are cheaper (I understand that this is a very high quality DVR), but this leads me to believe I probably could save money if I built my own PC based system.

Any comments?

For $1800, you should be able to make a kickass PC-Based system for 8 Channels of video. I wouldn't recommend doing that on a regular basis if you are a dealer and reselling machines all the time. There's alway value in getting machines from distributors/importers. They offer service and support that will come up if you stay in business for a while and you will start to appreciate their work. However, if you need just one machine, and you know how to build a good pc, and enjoy doing it, there's nothing wrong with that. Personally I am not a big fan of IC Realtime machines. But that's just me.

Thanks for the tip! I am a PC enthusiast, so I do enjoy doing these DIY projects. It is a one time thing for my bar.

I actually just ordered the PC parts off newegg for a total of $745.76 (incl. tax/shipping). Includes 3gig core 2 duo, 2gb ram, 640gb + 1.5tb harddrives, 430w psu, 8500 GT 512MB video card.

The DVR card (GV-1240X) is $980 however... $200 more than the computer itself! But still this system is slightly cheaper than the standalone + a lot better performing.

If you have the expertise in system building, there's no reason why you can't do it yourself.

I've built plenty of desktops and servers (including some exotic water-cooled gaming monsters), but recently I've been trending towards smaller-and-quieter PCs. I'm one of those guys with a garage full of orphaned computers.

I'm actually experimenting right now with some of the Lenovo (formerly IBM) small form-factor Thinkcentre desktops. They're a common ex-corporate desktop machine, and you can buy them off-lease on Ebay for a song (usually 200-500$ for a complete 2U-height computer, with anywhere from a P4 to Pentium D to Core-2-duo processors and up to four gigs of ram). They have integrated video, but also have two PCI slots or one PCI slot and one PCI-E slot, so you can add a video card if you need one. They also come with gigabit ethernet.

I've got a couple that I'm experimenting with as NVRs... if they work, I'll post up some pics and specs.

Good. You will like it more than a standalone. For PC-people standalone machines sort of have a "dumb" feeling. Can't do much with them. We manufacture both but I still love PC-Based systems if they are built right.

I see you are doing some back and forth on another thread. Goodluck with getting the rest of your answers. BTW, stick with 24VAC power supply for your cameras. They perform better for longer runs and usually less problem with voltage drops as well as current supplies for IR cameras.

For your application, I'd stay away from IP cameras. So far, you are on track.

BTW, did you get the GV1240X 8 or 16 Channel card for $980?

GEOVISION GV-1240X 8 & 16 CHANNEL 240 FPS PCI EXPRESS DVR CARD http://www.surveillance-video.com/gegv816ch1203.html $980.00 1 $0.00 $0.00 $980.00

Yeah -- just from google search, it seems to be a decent price. What do you think?

Almost all of the security hardware is coming from that website. They seem to have the best prices and their BBB record looks okay.

GEOVISION GV-1240X 8 & 16 CHANNEL 240 FPS PCI EXPRESS DVR CARD http://www.surveillance-video.com/gegv816ch1203.html $980.00 1 $0.00 $0.00 $980.00

Yeah -- just from google search, it seems to be a decent price. What do you think?

Almost all of the security hardware is coming from that website. They seem to have the best prices and their BBB record looks okay.

Funny you should mention that site; I recently ordered something from them, and they canceled the order without telling me, or any explanation. I received an email back in January telling me the item had shipped, but their item tracking didn't work... took me calling after two weeks of the item not arriving to find out that the item hadn't EVER shipped, and in fact had been canceled entirely (but they hadn't yet refunded the money).

They were very nice when I spoke to their customer service people, and they're looking into it. I'll let you know what happens.

Funny you should mention that site; I recently ordered something from them, and they canceled the order without telling me, or any explanation. I received an email back in January telling me the item had shipped, but their item tracking didn't work... took me calling after two weeks of the item not arriving to find out that the item hadn't EVER shipped, and in fact had been canceled entirely (but they hadn't yet refunded the money).

They were very nice when I spoke to their customer service people, and they're looking into it. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the heads up -- let me know how it goes. Maybe I'll have to do a bit more homework.

OK... here's the update:

They never called me back... I had to get back in touch with them.

Turns out the item wasn't in stock, and they were going to order it from Taiwan (item was a Nuuo encoder card). Shipping was going to be $72+, so they simply canceled the order without telling me, and didn't refund the money until I contacted them. It was only after I called that they noted their error.

The customer service person I spoke with stated that she sent me an email two days after I got the "Your item has shipped" email. That email never showed up in my inbox, or spam folder.

I don't know what sort of warehouse space these guys might have... but here's google's map (including street view) of their shop:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=387%20Canal%20Street%2C%20manhattan%2C%20ny&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

They are actual dealers for a number of CCTV/alarm manufacturers (Crow, ExtremeCCTV, etc), but I wonder if they simply drop-ship some of their products, like many dealers on Ebay frequently do.

Not the best shopping experience I've ever had (and certainly not the worst); I'm going to find another vendor for that encoder card.

****************** Edit *********************

They are a couple of companies and websites using the same NY address:

www.canalalarm.com

www.123securityproducts.com

www.surveillance-video.com

A private investigator agency

Abco supply company

OK... here's the update:

They never called me back... I had to get back in touch with them.

Turns out the item wasn't in stock, and they were going to order it from Taiwan (item was a Nuuo encoder card). Shipping was going to be $72+, so they simply canceled the order without telling me, and didn't refund the money until I contacted them. It was only after I called that they noted their error.

The customer service person I spoke with stated that she sent me an email two days after I got the "Your item has shipped" email. That email never showed up in my inbox, or spam folder.

I don't know what sort of warehouse space these guys might have... but here's google's map (including street view) of their shop:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=387%20Canal%20Street%2C%20manhattan%2C%20ny&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

They are actual dealers for a number of CCTV/alarm manufacturers (Crow, ExtremeCCTV, etc), but I wonder if they simply drop-ship some of their products, like many dealers on Ebay frequently do.

Not the best shopping experience I've ever had (and certainly not the worst); I'm going to find another vendor for that encoder card.

****************** Edit *********************

They are a couple of companies and websites using the same NY address:

www.canalalarm.com

www.123securityproducts.com

www.surveillance-video.com

A private investigator agency

Abco supply company

Interesting... I need to order cameras soon, but I'm not sure if I want to use this vendor anymore.

Two huge key indicators of a bait&switch company are 1) based in New York and 2) have multiple websites. At least from my experience...

To their credit, they did refund my money the very same day I called them... and they actually do have a physical storefront, unlike most of the scam operations out there.

But I know what you're talking about... I've likewise been burnt by the NY-Boiler-Room-internet-company thing before, though you usually find those on Ebay (I found one of them via Pricewatch one time). Those places operate out of a basement somewhere, drop ship from a third-party warehouse, offer no tech support, and refunds are incredibly painful to get. I generally avoid buying electronics or computer equipment from any NY-based internet retailer; I made an exception in this case.

As for surveillance-video.com, I just didn't like how my transaction was handled, that's all. If there's a problem, or you can't meet the agreed-upon terms, you should contact somebody... you don't just cancel the order and keep their money until they contact you.

If you screw-up, you should make it right.

I have walked into the physical store here in New York. They are right off the A train and they have a lot of equipment on site. They have like 100 cameras setup on top of the store you can watch from within the store. My only complaint is pricing and the fact that they are on Canal street scam central. Different price for all but if you can haggle you probably can get them to meet your terms.