Theodore

When all else fails ....Go Wireless?

Okay so i finished my first big CCTV install and everything came out perfect, But the previous guy who ran the wires short changed him and only ran 1 wire to the back of the home. The customer has a pool in his back yard and is fairly big space. I tried the widest angle to capture the whole picture but could only get half the pool.

Soooo now he would like another camera in the opposite corner and since there is no wire there, my first thought was wireless. Now i have researched wireless even before and found out that a lot of it is junk unless your in line of site. I am not in this case.

I have to go thew an exterior wall made of brick and then down 1 flight (so threw a ceiling) and i also have a wireless LINKSYS N Router in the same room. I wanted some feed back. I called my wholesale distributor and they priced me at 1200 for the wireless camera and even though price is not an option that is way to much. There is no light in the back so i would prefer with LEDs.

I would like to hear experiences anyone may have had good or bad so i can further my on going study of wireless cameras.

P.S. I also looked into wireless video transmit ion to send the signal from the DVR to 2 TVs in the home and i was recommended against it by my distributor, I would definitely want a 2nd opinion on that as well.

Current System installed.

- Nuvico NV8500

- Nuvico CDS21N-LP x5

wireless works ok but it's hard to find one that "has it all". ie. outdoor with decent day/night. what type of recorder did you install? hybrid?

I'd opt to install a secong camera at the same corner as the first and then use a telphoto lense to get your video.

Okay so i finished my first big CCTV install and everything came out perfect, But the previous guy who ran the wires short changed him and only ran 1 wire to the back of the home. The customer has a pool in his back yard and is fairly big space. I tried the widest angle to capture the whole picture but could only get half the pool.

How wide an angle lens did you try? Computar has 1.8-3.6mm wide angle varifocal lenses that will give you better than 140 degree horizontal field of view on a 1/3" camera. Pelco has 1.6-3.4mm lenses that will go even wider.

Computar/Ganz Part numbers are:

TG2Z1816AFCS - auto iris

T2Z1816CS - manual iris

Pelco Model Numbers are:

13VA1-3 - manual iris

13VD1-3 - auto iris

CD-SD21N-I-L is the camera

specs REPLACE THE "I" WITH A "B" FOR BLACK

HIGH RESOLUTION 550 TVL

2.8-10mm AUTO IRIS

36 IR LEDS

DUAL VOLTAGE

Thats whats in the corner and i didn't specify the pool is straight ahead diagonally it get cut off at the top of the picture, i get a very wide angle picking up everything left and right just straight ahead is the thing.

He was insisting i install one on the other side. This guy basically wants to be inside his home watching his kids play in the pool, something i don't agree with but im not there for parent consultation. So we loose the top part of the screen and figured if i install dedicated camera for the pool we should be able to capture little more.

Now if the answer is no to wireless, then what are my other options?

The thing about the router is what caught my eye. I would not want to complicate things "meaning" I would want the camera to be on its dedicated channel i never heard of the router but if its the same like a computer router then you are saying i can use one cable and split it to support independent cameras.

I'm a little confused. Not to what you guys said just to what option i should go with. I mean is wireless really that bad or that expensive? Is it cheaper to charge this guy to run a new wire? He does have extra wires in his attic standard RG6 Quad Shielded i guess i can see if those can be an option. (i wanted to stay away from that this is a 2 million home he is crazy about making a mess little alone popping holes in his venetian plaster).

2 million home he is crazy about making a mess little alone popping holes in his venetian plaster).

2 millon dollar home and he can shell out a grand or 2 for a good wireless solution, You only have 2 solutions wired and wireless oh unless you can perform magic. Good luck but this is why you have a walk through with the customer to see what his or her needs are.... Also who ran the wires?

The mor emoney they have the less they wanna spend. This is how it is in NY i cant talk about anywhere else. Just so you know he kept comparing my prices to his cousins prices who bought a radio shack cctv in a box system.

The wires were done from a professional company and i must say they really did a horrible job....ex. in the attic the rg59 cables they ran are tied in KNOTS around hooks and then lead to the basement. And there only 5 wires outside the house and 7 in the basement which means 2 are MIA. I tried looking for them. The walk through was done but its kinda hard to figure out were his wires are outside when they are stuck in between siding of a 30 foot home and its 2 degrees outside.

To be honest i was just little confused with wireless because of such a drastic price in indoor and outdoor wireless. So then i ill take your advise offer him wireless at 1200 a pop or just see if its possible to run a wire through his mansion. Unless my magic skills improve and i can penetrate an rg59 cable through the wall by clapping my hands together. AbrCadAbra " title="Applause" />

I bought a wireless ip ptz dome camera from Microseven a couple weeks ago. It took me a couple days to get used to the settings, now I get great results. It's wifi to my Linksys WRT54GX router. I installed it on a antenna mast on my roof for 360 views. With the 26x optical, I can easily read the neighbors license plate at 500 ft. Endless 360 pan, and 180 tilt with auto flip.

H264, 4 settings with D1 the highest, (30 fps).

It has an auto IR cut filter, and gets great night time results until it's completely dark, then you just get car and house lights. I tested the IR sensitivity, with a 54 IR led illuminator, and though it's pitch black outside the monitor is lit up. Very good IR sensitivity, so if you install a IR lamp, you will get good results at night.

The price for this camera was a little less than what you were quoted for a wireless camera. But the 18x optical version of this same camera is $200 less.

About the missing wires. I worked over 30 years at the phone company as a repairman. Often we had missing wires in the house also. If you can get a tone and tone locater, you can try putting the tone on the end in the basement, and go around the house with your tone locater to try and pick up the other end. I assume the wires were pre-wired in during construction. Sometimes the builders would accidently damage or cut the wires during the construction, if so you're usually SOL unless it's in the attic.

1446237479_domecamera2-14-09.jpg.be4034268881214c83926157ff6b957b.jpg

85361281_cameraview2-14-09.jpg.67ed5a372037e4f3cedf8403f0e07f58.jpg

Edited by Guest

Scott,

Thanks.

The power supply, usb for the wireless adapter, and various connectors for the audio, alarm, etc., all had to be enclosed in something.

What you see is a tupper ware bowl on the back of the camera. It was a very economical solution to protect the wiring from the weather. It actually turned out great. I drilled a dozen very small holes in the bottom for ventilation, and secured the lid with a outside tie wrap. It is attached with 4 bolts and washers, to the wall mount of the camera. Cost was $5.

I never tested the range of the camera, my router is maybe 80-90 ft away.

I've never had the signal break up, pixilate, or anything. It has always come in 100% from where it's at.

Dan

I'll second the nice install comment...

Have you experienced a full moon yet with this camera?? It will look like daytime. Truly amazing!

Two images from my PTZ. One with assistance from a cam with IR's and the other with just the light from the full moon. Nope, believe it or not, that is not a spot light, only the IR from the camera installed on the corner looking in that direction.

Although in the business, this stuff never ceases to amaze me at times.

827703515_PTZNIGHT.JPG.7401f59d79248b60f319c5d1b41fcc42.JPG

1993234333_PTZIR.JPG.5aaf9bfbb642002713a8d0bf94e1b3da.JPG

No, I haven't experienced a full moon yet, but I can only hope my image is as good as yours is. I get a similar image about 15 minutes before it's completely dark, then I lose it. That is really a great night time picture.

Edited by Guest

I'll second the nice install comment...

Have you experienced a full moon yet with this camera?? It will look like daytime. Truly amazing!

Two images from my PTZ. One with assistance from a cam with IR's and the other with just the light from the full moon. Nope, believe it or not, that is not a spot light, only the IR from the camera installed on the corner looking in that direction.

Although in the business, this stuff never ceases to amaze me at times.

Is this also the microseven camera?