sphzxcv

Need info:8-pin power supply

Hi all.

Will appreciate assistance from members of the forum.

I have a 9-channel DVR by AVtech. Recently its power supply failed to function. I searched around for a replacement unit but ....

So I decided to custom make a power supply for the DVR.

The power supply I am making consist of 2 separate units, one supplying 12v and the other 5v.

Sounded simple, eh? But the output plug is a 8-pin plug and I need to figure out which pins are 12v and which are 5v.

Fortunately, the output supply comes with a diagram of the pins' output, showing the +12v and +5v pins. However, the -12v and -5v pins are indicated as GND only.

I need to know which of the GND pins are the -12v and which are -5v as the GND is not the common GND of a single supply. The pins concerned are pins 1, 2, 3 and 5 from the attached photo.

Will it make any difference if the -12v and the -5v are swapped?

A photo of the old power supply is attached.

The DVR is a 9-channel (JPEG format) non-network unit from AVtech.

Thanks for the assistance.

PwrSupply.3.JPG.ce2a00769d190aa87806a2f9aafa4b1f.JPG

I need to know which of the GND pins are the -12v and which are -5v as the GND is not the common GND of a single supply.

Why not?

I googled KY-05072 and found one for sale for $29.95. Unless you are looking for a project, it might be better just to buy the proper replacement supply.

When a Power Supply is generating both 12vdc +, 12vdc - , 5vdc +, 5 vdc -, it is usually for powering a hard drive, as well as the Motherboard. You need to do a little searching for your particular PS. You might try to take a look at both Newegg and Tigerdirect, under Power Supplies for PC's. Both of these websites ( and many others I am sure), show the pin voltages of different Power Supply connectors to Motherboards. Yours might look like one of them. That would give you a starting point. Insure Polarity with your voltmeter. I have built CCTV power supplies ( 12 VDC) from PC power supplies, as they are UL Listed. Just add fuses (DIN mount), wiring, DIN rail, Nema enclosure. Don't confuse "ground" with "negative voltage" or "neutral". Good luck

Most power supplies of that type have common grounds, even if they have multiple ground pins. You can confirm that by doing a continuity test between the ground pins with a VOM or continuity tester.