able1

USB Camera - Win XP software search

Hello all,

Here is what I am looking for. I know it available somewhere just need a little help finding the pieces.

I would like to use a USB Camera for a office covert surveillance. It needs to be recorded on motion and stopped recording after say 10 seconds of no motion.

Would like the ability with the software to save the video files to any drive on the network.

Needs also to restrict access by means of passwords for end users.

Picture quality is a low priority at this time.

USB cameras are really cheap but I would consider a IP camera but it needs to be small enough to be easily concealed on a desk.

Soooooo anyone have any suggestion to fill the above.

Software??

USB Camera??

IP Camera??

As for the software I am not opposed to buying the package. But would like to know that it has the features that I need before the purchase. Anyone with direct knowledge would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

We used to carry something like that at our company. What you are looking for is a small DVR that records on a SD memory card. It is about the size of big pack of gum though. Video is CMOS webcam quality. We stop selling it because no one buys it. It is more of a gimmick. It doesnt really work that well and if people buy they would only buy one. Maybe check out http://scorpiontheater.com they have spy stuff there.

Here is a pretty good list of webcam software aimed at motion detected recording:

http://motion-detection.qarchive.org/

This one looks promising: http://cam-wizard.ledset-software.qarchive.org/

I didn't see anything about password protection, but it could be in there. I've seen others listed talking about stealth mode, but not network storage. So the features you are looking for are available, just not sure of any one package to do it all.

I think luxriot supports webcams too.

There are covert wireless network hidden cameras.

Would that be an option?

Not exactly.

Answer is not that easy. I have a lot of issues going against me.

Customer wants to rent not buy.

Customer wants to view in house as well as from home.

Customer wants to not have anyone other than himself and one other involved.

Customer wants the equipment installed after Midnight.

Customer does not want cameras to be easily seen.

Customer wants the impossible because of item #1.

Thoughts???

There are covert wireless network hidden cameras.

Would that be an option?

Not exactly.

Answer is not that easy. I have a lot of issues going against me.

Customer wants to rent not buy.

Customer wants to view in house as well as from home.

Customer wants to not have anyone other than himself and one other involved.

Customer wants the equipment installed after Midnight.

Customer does not want cameras to be easily seen.

Customer wants the impossible because of item #1.

Thoughts???

I do not see any barriers to what you are asking.

Then again I may be missing your point.

Perhaps I can portray a "telephone man", or a "cable guy", or what ever is needed at the time.

My installs are more construction related such as no attic, or two story home.

Getting surveillance inside of a building and making it covert is a piece of cake.

The trick, or the hard part is getting the information outside of the house.

Wireless cameras: You have seen the posts for regular basic installs, and you can multiply that if you are trying to use a 100mWatt transmitter, and you think you are going to sit in a "VAN" somewhere, and watch video.

Video over power. It is only as good on the outside of a building up to the transformer.

You can always drill a hole between the carpet, and an exterior wall, and run wires out the building, but then you still have to figure how to get the info outside of the house.

Antennas in an attic is a dead give away so that may not be an option for covert installs.

I would have to know more of what information your client wants to better design a system for them.

You have seen the show "To Catch A Predator". Can you duplicate that setup, and have it work for you?

Lets bolt a PTZ to a telephone pole, and plug your modem in to the cable tap. (You need the number to PAC, and the mac address).

Is the "customer" "filming" themselves, or are they setting up video for another person, and they are watching them?

If it is illegal, then I would stop advising as I do not want to be an "accessory". (unless there is an obcene amount of cash so that I can pay a lawyer, and pay my bail)!

For a couple of thousand dollars I have a device that you can plug, and play, and it is covert.

Hey! Wait a minute! Now I get it!!!! Is there some cute College Girls involved????

Wow! I want to be a landlord!!!

Let me type it a little differently.

The customer wants to rent the equipment for 2 months and does not want to purchase or buy the equipment.

It is to be installed in a block building that anyone of 75 individuals those in question can show up at any time.

Would need to just plug in a go to make it simple.

BTW installing equipment on telephone poles is illegal to say the least.

Thanks,

Les

Hello all,

I would like to use a USB Camera for a office covert surveillance. It needs to be recorded on motion and stopped recording after say 10 seconds of no motion.

quote]

How about this

1.I have very small IP video server

connect anywhere in customer network

plug any video cameras to it

2. At home install soft enter Cam ID and Password

start viewing and record video

3.Do not need any network setup

plug and play

That it

any ??? send PM

The catch with #1 is that YOU have to buy it, and after the customer is done renting it, you're stuck with it.

The solution is easy: make sure the rental per-month is about half the cost of the camera, so after two months, it's paid off anyway. Better yet, make the monthly rental about 75% of the value of the thing, so you can offer the customer the option of either buying it outright, or paying half again as much to rent it. If he still wants to go for the latter, you end up with a "free" covert camera and a few extra bucks in your pocket.

From the sound of it, if you're lucky, he'll just decide it's not worth the cost.

Let me type it a little differently.

The customer wants to rent the equipment for 2 months and does not want to purchase or buy the equipment.

It is to be installed in a block building that anyone of 75 individuals those in question can show up at any time.

Would need to just plug in a go to make it simple.

BTW installing equipment on telephone poles is illegal to say the least.

Thanks,

Les

So is everything else I describe.

The LE's give me the court order, and I have a prewritten agreement with the power company even though I am using the cable service.

Port sniffing cable is illegal too. I have to CYA in every detail!

The catch with #1 is that YOU have to buy it, and after the customer is done renting it, you're stuck with it.

The solution is easy: make sure the rental per-month is about half the cost of the camera, so after two months, it's paid off anyway. Better yet, make the monthly rental about 75% of the value of the thing, so you can offer the customer the option of either buying it outright, or paying half again as much to rent it. If he still wants to go for the latter, you end up with a "free" covert camera and a few extra bucks in your pocket.

From the sound of it, if you're lucky, he'll just decide it's not worth the cost.

That is my point exactly. For a two month rental to at least cover my cost and not make profit the rental will be so high that he will say no thanks and I am left spending a lot of time and going nowhere.

I may have to get him into a 6 month minimum and a price break if he wants a 1 year.

Thanks for the input.

Ah, but that's MY point - BEFORE you spend a lot of time on it, give him a nice BIG ballpark number that immediately accounts for what it will cost YOU for such a short-term rental... then offer him price breaks over longer terms.

If the camera's going to cost you, say, $400... tell him a two-month rental will be $600... six-month, tell him $800... full year for $1000... or tell him he can buy it outright for $500 (not a big markup, but just as an example - if he's buying it, it does save you the extra hassle of the rental contract, etc.).

Naturally, make the point that any other equipment and installation costs are on top of that...

Of course, if you've already spent a lot of time on it, well... can't help you there This strategy works best to weed out the cheapskates before you invest a lot of time - hit'em right away with a high-scale estimate of what it's going to be and see if they still want to go through with it. If so, then you can make your final quote a little less, and they'll be even more impressed.

My boss was asked to bid on one job (small retail outlet)... the guy told him that we'd come highly recommended by a friend (another customer of ours) and that he wanted a price from us, but noted that he'd be going with the lowest price he got. My boss said straight out that we could give him a GOOD system for a good price, but he could also guarantee we wouldn't be the cheapest... then he thanked the guy for his time and left. Sometimes you just gotta know when to cut and run

Ah, but that's MY point - BEFORE you spend a lot of time on it, give him a nice BIG ballpark number that immediately accounts for what it will cost YOU for such a short-term rental... then offer him price breaks over longer terms.

At this point I have not spent a lot of time but sometime on the initial look at and doing the research to this point. Have not decided on what will work best for a price I can live with.

Thanks for the input.

Les

The other guys summed it up pretty well.

all that work for probably little to no money, I would just stay in bed.