cglaeser

Altronix power supply in attic

Will an Altronix power supply function properly in an attic that gets pretty warm in the summer? Are Altronix supplies routinely installed in the attic, or should they be installed in another location?

Best,

Christopher

power supplies typically run hot and the attic is never used to install them because the added heat will eventually kill it.

Best place to put them is in a closet or behind a door when in the opened position.

Yeah, heat is a killer. But I tried looking for temperature range on the spec sheet of the last altronics I bought and didn't see it listed. If they don't list it on yours it may not be much concern to them. Have you called tech support?

I agree 100 %. Power Supplies generate a lot of heat. You need to remove this generated heat effectively. I would not install a power supply where I know that dust,dirt,debris, etc. will cause problems. I would keep your Power Supply in an area that you, yourself, feel comfortable. That is sort of my own guideline when installing them.

I'm not sure about their power supplies, but their power cords are only rated to 105 degrees Farenheit.:

LC1

6 ft. Two-wire line cord

Features/Specifications

• 6 ft. length.

• 18 AWG gauge.

• Cord type: SPT-2.

• Operating temperature up to 105º.

Similar Altronix Products

LC2 6 ft. Three-wire line cord.

My attic hits 130 deg, and higher in the summer. I would not even think of installing a power supply up there.

I would not even think of installing a power supply up there.

How does one comment on pink elephants without thinking about pink elephants?

Best,

Christopher