Aryana

Network Problems with a DVR

Okay, I'm at my wit's end. I have everything configured correctly as far as I know and yet I cannot connect to the DVR even locally, let alone remotely.

The DVR's configuration is the following:

DVR set to LAN

IP: 192.168.1. 149

Gateway: 192.1.68.1. 1 (Router's IP)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255. 0

DNS: (taken from router)

Port: 80

I have set up my Router to forward port 80 for 192.168.1. 149.

When I try to access my DVR from my computer, it times out. I tried to ping it's IP address and it doesn't work. It is not the network cable because we tried out an IP camera and had no problems connecting to it using the same cable.

I had done this same setup before with another DVR of the same make and it was working fine, both local and WAN connection. So I cannot fathom where to START looking for what's wrong.

The only info I have on model is SA-KC700. It's I believe a 'generic' Chinese DVR.

Take a crossover cable to a pc and connect the other end to the DVR.

Statically assign an address 192.168.1.X to the PC.

Can you ping the DVR then? If not then the DVR either not configured for the right IP or the Ethernet is not working on it.

Some data switches now support 100mb/gigabit but won't work with 10mb. If this DVR only has a 10mb port then you could have a problem. You can work around this issue by running the DVR into an older hub/switch with 10/100 and then feeding it into your network.

The cross-over cable is a pretty good idea as you should see right off the bat if the PC recognizes a valid lan connection.

Do not forward port 80 in your router and also do not use porttriggering. You only need to forward the others port than 80.

When you test DVR in your LAN you don'n need to make some settings in router.

When you access it from WAN and on different port then you must use portforwarding, and also set the router (if applicable) to permit DVR to act as a HTTP server (WAN requests).

Okay, so here's an update on what we've tried.

We got it working on the router intermittently, we could see and access it, then suddenly it would stop working.

When we tried using the crossover it worked flawlessly and continuously, unlike with the router connection.

We do need to port forward because we want WAN access to the DVR, but since we hadn't been able to access it locally (LAN) I needed to concentrate on that first.

What would make a network connection work sometimes and other times not? Apparently sometimes it'd start working then stop, then not work at all for an hour no matter how many times we restarted everything, then suddenly once it'd work again.

It could be duplicate IPs on the network.

Network routing issue. Double check netmask on both devices, IPs.

Any chance that when you're testing on the PC/Laptop there is more than one NIC. Wired or wireless?

It could be duplicate IPs on the network.

Network routing issue. Double check netmask on both devices, IPs.

Any chance that when you're testing on the PC/Laptop there is more than one NIC. Wired or wireless?

Duplicate IP is where I would start as well. Make sure you have assigned an IP that is not in your DHCP scope, or it could be getting assigned at random times to some other equipment.

You can do a Ping -t to run ping continuously and see how intermittent the connection is. Control-C will abort it.

You can also do an ARP -a. It will show you the MAC address assigned to the IP that your PC has in it's Arp table. When it stops working run it again to see if another MAC address taken it's place.

After all that headache, the one problem I first suggested. The cable was to blame.

My boss bought a cable-meter to check the pins, and only 2 of the 4 pairs of cables were actually live.

We changed to a new cable and it worked fine.

Thanks for the help