Helheim

Best place for cameras on front of house

I'm trying to decide where to mount cameras on the front of my house. I was planning on using domes, unless there is a reason not to? This is that I have come up with any comments? Do I need that many, more?

96566_1.jpg

96566_2.jpg

All looks good. I'd put a covert cam at the front door and along with audio from above..........by covert, I'd install a wall plate type camera with a door functional bell button...that way they look right at the camera....

PTZ? maybe better installed on the garage peak. I'd go with a day/night 10x PTZ, surface mount it.......that way it looks like a dome camera and not a PTZ. Placing it there allows you to get down closer to the action.and a 10x PTZ is plenty of optical..............

And, there is a neat inexpensive security awareness gadget availabe that provides sistuational awareness (USMC talk) called Voice Alert 6. I've used and installed it...............works pretty good. Very nice to have for a stay at home "Parent"..........motion sensors are wireless, can be moved as needed, and also can set "dip switched" into a Normally open/closed device, disabling the motion..can be attached to magnetic contacts on gates, doors, ect.

ops, garage does not have a peak...............

I'd use the PTZ at the position closest to the front door...........set it up to scan the area.........or, if your DVr can handle preset motion/event programing, connect the voice alert to the PTZ programming and let it move when tripped. ie. prepositioned motion sensors activate dvr software to move PTZ to a preset position.............capturing video. And, you can connect to the PTZ and play anytime you want.

Locations look good to me also. Just something to think about before you make the final location decision. Make a long coax run, and power one of your cameras up. Mount this "test camera" in different locations, in order to get the best view. The output of this "test camera" will just go into an ordinary TV , resting somewhere ( garage??) you can then go see what the final video will look like. You should also try to see what the "camera view" looks like, from underneath the corner of the garage, looking towards the front door. You need to watch the entire porch if you can. If the front of your home faces South, you are going to get a lot of "backlight" from a camera looking directly outwards. Good luck.!!

Thanks for the feedback.

by covert, I'd install a wall plate type camera with a door functional bell button

Can you give me an example of one? I was thinking about using either WV-NW484S or WV-CW484 Panasonic domes, perhaps a Nuvico at the door.

Make a long coax run, and power one of your cameras up. Mount this "test camera" in different locations

Good idea. The house faces east.