scorpion

Mesh Networking: Intrusion, and Hacking

I have a small area CCTV proposal, and due to multi building / multi locations of the cameras. There are two areas that are fenced in. I may be doing a mesh network for video transmission.

The CCTV can be analog, or IP based. I lean more to analog.

I am interested is speaking with you if you are an "expert" working with mesh networks.

I need to come up to speed on common mistakes that I may make as a first time user.

The level of security is high for the proposal that is before me.

Please forgive me for not posting details of the actual installation.

Security is of the essence.

I have never set up a mesh network, and I am starting to look for PDFs that can provide me the education that I need. I may need to hire someone to build the network, and to make it as redundant as possible, and secure, but I need to have a basic understanding of what someone is telling me, and I need to know how to play "devil's advocate" to any equipment choices, and setups.

I will defer to a local expert.

Time is of the essence as there is money there for the project, but it is a shared pool, and first come, first served.

I would like to get an infrastructure in as fast as possible if I win the proposal.

I will need to do an "intrusion" test to verify security. Would you supply the information needed to due such a test. Please use the PM to keep this information off post.

If you do not have PM rights then make a post, and I will send you my email address.

The system will be a mutli PTZ setup. I will want to use motion detectors to trigger presets to orient a PTZ to respond to all pedestrian gates, and vehicle gates, and equipment.

PM me if you need to know more details.

Thank you in advance!

I do not have experience in this area.

I sound like Beavis, and Butt Head after you asked me that question.

I would be interested in your information if you would be so kind!

Thank you very much!

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2004/01/22/wirelessmesh.html

also, I attended a seminar on wireless mesh networks and was informed that a eastern STATE was completly meshed.the entire State had coverage. They basicaly installed networks everywhere, used gov buildings, yowers, ect. to make it work. Once all was inplace the use and implementation of any wireless device was a snap.

Wireless security is fine as long as the equipment installed is capable to industry standards. Lots of wireless equipment available and there are some decent low cost solutions to a mesh setup. Yes, you can buy more expensive "stuff" but if the cheaper stuff works...why buy high?

I answered your email on Embiquiti equipment, which I use. You can also do googles on the specific models and get good feed back on uses, distances covered, and envionments installed at. Everything I've seen on them seems to be strong info.

Meshing a network is like creating a city sized coffee internet cafe....only you can scale it to your needs/requirement. The above link will also provide technical help in developing your solution(s).

This link that you provided is information overload! I really appreciate the extra effort that you have done to help me out!

I look forward to implementing this project! Although I am new to this kind of technology I am excited to be a part of an emerging technology.

I guess I should give up my TRS 80, and my CB radio now?

funny.I started out with the same when I was 16...............and, my M-inlaw has a older apple under sheets that still works.....

memories.........

and you were somebody if you had a motorized antenna control

and I also remember that neat trick my Father was trying out, the one where you tune that old tv into a "clean" channel where all you can see is white fuzz, then if your really good and your eyes are sharp, you can actually see a toranado on the screen.....if it is close to your house..right?

and it is true, the antenna is back, but, I do recall using the open window technique on a few satellite dish installs.only difference is I had to turn up the volume. now I have a fancy $400 dollar meter that works specially nice!

and don't forget party lines............I never had one but my honey up here in Iadho had one as a id.she in fortyish now so that was not too long ago. and she as had what they called "thunder jugs".......any guess to what that is.no, it's not sexual.............hint: they had no indoor plumbing so....

and now you know the rest of the story. I've actually found these jugs in a shed here.......and my honey confirmed my find.......funny, I needed a pail like object to cover the satellite matrix switch from rain (we were living in our horse trailer while building) so I went into an old shed and found the perfect "cover"...........my honey noticed it and asked me where I had gotten it.......and now you know the end of the story