SaturnR

Neighbor aiming camera directly into my backyard

Have you tried talking to him and asking him to reorient the camera?

I'd use a Flood light..mount as close to the target..aim directly at it. Don't worry about blocking his video............

Have you tried talking to him and asking him to reorient the camera?

We had this exact same problem with him last June. At that time I did tell him to turn it around since I felt it was way too invasive into my yard. He did turn it around but he left the one that goes 20' across the corner. I heard him telling someone "you see this, my neighbor doesn't like it" as he was pointing to the camera. He likes to bring all visitors on a tour of my yard, standing at the fence line and pointing directly at each thing he doesn't like over here. The man is a royal pain in the arse. I mean really, who does crap like that?

Your first problem buddy is you have lousy camera hardware. Drop the no name crap and buy a Bosch, Pelco or some brand name fixed camera with a decent 5 -50 mm varifocal lens.

Knowing your problems you probably want to invest in a Pelco DF5 or SpectraIV mini ptz dome recessed mounted under the eve/overhang of your house. You can zoom in and he'll never know where the camera is pointed plus they have great night time seeing capabilities.

I'm pretty sure a PTZ mounted high enough on your house, somewhere in a attic vent facing out or whatever would catch that guy causing trouble.

Goodluck and let us know how it turns out.

Yes I agree, cameras need upgrading. I don't have an attic vent on that side, I have a hip roof and no overhang back there.

Here's an idea of what a bright laser will do to a picture... found this on candlepower forums. Bear in mind that this isn't even directed into the camera lens; this is just backscatter.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8178/lazor002tt7.jpg

Is that the kind of effect you were looking for?

Yes if it comes down to it, that is the type of effect I am looking for, without damaging his camera of course.

Here's an idea of what a bright laser will do to a picture... found this on candlepower forums. Bear in mind that this isn't even directed into the camera lens; this is just backscatter.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8178/lazor002tt7.jpg

Is that the kind of effect you were looking for?

Yes if it comes down to it, that is the type of effect I am looking for, without damaging his camera of course.

Welcome to the reality of the 21st century – video cameras everywhere.

If his cameras are legally placed, learn to live with it. There are things you can do to create your own privacy. This is the reality of the 21st century – you are responsible for your privacy.

If you haven’t done so already, put a veil over your bathroom window, plant a vine that grows on a trellis in front of it. It’s a simple solution that you can do yourself.

If the cameras are not legally placed, bite the bullet, hire a (gulp) lawyer, and get moving to a legal resolution. Yeah, it’s gonna cost you $$$, but that’s how it works if you want to do this right and get a lasting resolution.

If he is calling the city out on you without reason, you have grounds for a restraining order. Get one! The courts hate neighbor disputes, doesn’t want to hear about them, so use a lawyer ($$$) to advise you on the reality of restraining orders. A restraining order hearing is also where you bring up the issue of a camera looking at your bathroom window. You can ask the court to have HIM pay to install a privacy fence on HIS property. Also get a court order that disallows his use of video camera facing your property.

The police can be very aggressive in enforcing restraining orders. If he violates a restraining order, call the cops, they will probably take him away in cuffs.

We had a very similar problem with a neighbor as you. He was the reason why I got into video cameras in the first place. As soon as the cameras went up, ALL problems went away.

Well, all of those problems went away, we now have new ones – almost 3 years later he is putting up video cameras looking nowhere that has anything to do with him or his security. But they are legally placed. We are planning a bamboo curtain, should take a couple years to grow in, we can wait. In the meantime, we are putting up cheap posts with cloth flags along the property line to block his view where we don’t want him to have one. In other areas, hell, I don’t care. It’s his time, he can spend it looking at my norge while I’m weeding. I kind of like the idea that he is literally wasting his time watching video of nothing that matters to anyone that does.

As I was reading your series of posts I was getting the impression your issues are becoming less about your privacy and more about your dislike for your neighbor. STOP! Ask yourself, this; exactly what is YOUR issue, and why do YOU care?

Put on your seatbelt: You need to grow up – well, kind of. Your nasty neighbor has a right to his cameras. Until he crosses the line and you are willing to pursue him in the proper legal channels, leave him alone. He’s talking about you? – who cares? This is a an issue for children on a playground. It isn’t something that matters to anyone that does matter. Take responsibility for your own privacy and do what you are responsible to do to ensure that privacy. You are a part of your own problem. You can become an even bigger part of your problem by dicking around with your neighbor or his cameras. Don't do it.

If you haven’t done so already, put a veil over your bathroom window, plant a vine that grows on a trellis in front of it. It’s a simple solution that you can do yourself.

As far as bathroom windows are concerned, I say, let'em point a camera my bathroom window! If they like what they see, well, great! If they're horrified and go blind from what they see (more likely in my case), then it serves'em right.

As far as bathroom windows are concerned, I say, let'em point a camera my bathroom window! If they like what they see, well, great! If they're horrified and go blind from what they see (more likely in my case), then it serves'em right.

Hah! " title="Applause" />

Well played, Sir.

As I was reading your series of posts I was getting the impression your issues are becoming less about your privacy and more about your dislike for your neighbor. STOP! Ask yourself, this; exactly what is YOUR issue, and why do YOU care?

Put on your seatbelt: You need to grow up – well, kind of. Your nasty neighbor has a right to his cameras. Until he crosses the line and you are willing to pursue him in the proper legal channels, leave him alone. He’s talking about you? – who cares? This is a an issue for children on a playground. It isn’t something that matters to anyone that does matter. Take responsibility for your own privacy and do what you are responsible to do to ensure that privacy. You are a part of your own problem. You can become an even bigger part of your problem by dicking around with your neighbor or his cameras. Don't do it.

You're right I don't like the guy and I am prepared to do what it takes(legally) to make him leave us alone. I can assure you my issues are very much about privacy.

I don't care that he talks about us, he's an ass and if people choose to believe the lies then that's their problem. He'll be lying about them in the future when they don't bow down and kiss his behind, it goes with the territory.

To date we have never set foot on his property nor dicked around with his cameras in anyway or anything else he owns for that matter. He can't say the same.

You say "legally placed" would you clarify that please? Does that mean I can erect a pole at my fence line and place a camera on it filming into his yard and home when it has nothing to do with my home security? Is that legally placed?

Thanks for your feedback. This is why I posted here, I wanted more than one perspective before we make any final decisions and/or take action.

You're right I don't like the guy and I am prepared to do what it takes(legally) to make him leave us alone. I can assure you my issues are very much about privacy.

I don't care that he talks about us, he's an ass and if people choose to believe the lies then that's their problem. He'll be lying about them in the future when they don't bow down and kiss his behind, it goes with the territory.

To date we have never set foot on his property nor dicked around with his cameras in anyway or anything else he owns for that matter. He can't say the same.

You say "legally placed" would you clarify that please? Does that mean I can erect a pole at my fence line and place a camera on it filming into his yard and home when it has nothing to do with my home security? Is that legally placed?

Thanks for your feedback. This is why I posted here, I wanted more than one perspective before we make any final decisions and/or take action.

From what information i gather about privacy, you have no expectation of privacy outside your house. You asked "can erect a pole at my fence line and place a camera on it filming into his yard" the answer is maybe but it all depends on what its facing legally you cannot have a camera facing into someones wiindow but can point it towards the yard.

Two things i would recommend one is to go to speak with you DA or City Prosecutor and ask him about your issues different laws in every jurdistiction, ask him the same questions you are asking us, Tell them you watch you sisters kids and worry about him filming them, this is a very big HOT spot for law enforcement. Only they can give you the accurate advise. And one more thing get a fence up asap, were he has his garage plant some bamboo like the other gentleman said they are perfect for privacy...

I feel your pain, Have lived next to an a-hole for 12 years now. When he has the head of the repubican party I couldn't even defend myself. Finnaly last year he showed his true colors and got caught lying to the powers that be. We purchased another 1/4 acre of property and put privacy fence around it. Then placed a pole building in the back. It was funny for a month, building commissionor at the house at least twice a week due to his complaints. Really funny. Again he got caught crying wolf and nobody listens to him anymore. He has 2 cameras that point into our yard, but he dosen't have nough height to get much of our yard. I don't care, only issue we have is when the wife ges out and gets in the hot tub naked and in the end we are at fault for that, if he can see it that is. I spent about 35,000 last year fencing building the building and buying the property and he can basicly siss my rear.

I was going to get an IR emmiter and point it over that way just enough to obscure his shot but I started playing with him. insted. I borrowed my nephews truck and parked it in the new lot, it is beat and not pretty. He called said it had been there for a month and was broken down not registered,,,, Course all was a lie and I had the video documentation to prove it,,,, At this point I am probably half as guilty as he is cause insted of getting ticked I played with him. Only bad thing was he had a buddy in the zoning and planning who threatened a lawsuit against us for my gooseneck siting in my drive behind the house. After researching the statute which was poorly written showed them that any vehicle larger than a s10 was illegal to have in your drive... It was funny they looked at each other and then to the guy who requested the letter and advised me that I was not in violation of the ordinance,,, Incorrect,, anyone with a 1/2 ton truck or larger in their drive was in violation, and sent me on my way.

Anyway,, what I am saying is don't let it get the best of you,,, now that I have the privacy fence I can't see him unless I choose to, and I don't...

How to prove he's watching your property without doing anything actionable... Hmmm...

How about a long range IR illuminator aimed directly at his camera? It will blind the camera to anything behind it, but not damage anything. Would really only work on a B/W or day/night camera.

Check his house for illuminators by pointing a cellphone camera (or other camera with LCD screen) at his house - any bright white dots that appear on the picture that cannot be seen by the naked eye are IR illuminators. If there's one built into the camera facing you, then you could counter with your own illuminator to blind his camera. See if he comes out to 'fix' the camera.

If his camera can see your pool then it may be lawyer time - get a cease/desist letter written up.

Don't do anything that will damage his property. Catch anything he does to damage your property on camera.

CCTV Pro legal question: Can you get a restraining order to force a neighbor to adjust his camera so it does not show your property?

Heck, my neighbor asked *me* to aim one of my cameras up to catch his property. Old bullet cam on a spare DVR channel that was watching over my external AC unit back when copper theft was a huge thing. He saw me put it up and asked if I could tilt it up to catch his garage doors in case someone broke it. I was happy to do that, and gave him a still image from the camera so he can see what I can see.

It's all about the relationship you have with your neighbors. Mine are all cool.

Short answer - No unless you have other valid & verified reasons to believe your life is being threatened or he has done things to you in the past,. I.E. police reports, photographic video proof.

The person you are seeking a restraining order in court will be given a chance to quash your motion for a protective order. He can also in turn sue you in civil court for libel, harassment and recover attorneys fees and return the favor by filing a protective order against you if he can make up some merits.

Becareful what you ask for. restraining orders are a double edge sword.

I'm no lawyer, and maybe you couldn't get a restraining order, but should surely be able to get a cease and desist order against a camera pointed at your property.

Obviously it is up to the judge, but I think it comes down to expectation of privacy. If your backyard would be private if it weren't for your neighbors chimney mounted camera pointing down into your yard I would think you have a pretty good case.

It all comes down to the Judge. They can rule pretty much how they see fit.

I'm no lawyer, and maybe you couldn't get a restraining order, but should surely be able to get a cease and desist order against a camera pointed at your property.

Obviously it is up to the judge, but I think it comes down to expectation of privacy. If your backyard would be private if it weren't for your neighbors chimney mounted camera pointing down into your yard I would think you have a pretty good case.

It all comes down to the Judge. They can rule pretty much how they see fit.

This is a good point. Obviously the law will vary depending on the area, and I'm no lawyer either, but I'd think that yes, there would be a reasonable expectation of privacy in your *fenced* yard, and if nothing else, it shouldn't be hard to get a ruling against his camera(s) pointing into that area, especially if they're mounted specifically to allow them to view that area (high vantage point, etc.). It's one thing if he can claim that he just his cameras set up for a wide shot of the neighborhood and your house just happens to be in the field of view, but quite another if he has them placed and aimed such that they ONLY capture your house and yard.

The key in this case, if you want to win the judge's favor, would be to NOT muddle the case with all the other BS the neighbor has pulled, but to stick to the issue at hand: his cameras are invading your privacy, and you want it stopped. Period. The judge likely won't care about all the background between this clown and the rest of the neighborhood, so just keep it simple and stick to the point.

Here's what you do.

Get a cheap laser pointer found at any dollar store. wire it up to the correct power supply instead of batteries, use some epoxy putty to mount it to a cheap adjustable camera mount, aim it directly at the offending camera's lens, and leave it on 24/7.

Periodically check the alignment.

A LASER pointer is the go but he can easily trace where it`s coming from

and will probably do something nasty.

What you need an IR LASER ~850nm and use a IR camera or NVG to aim it.

[pulse it at 2-7hz for added viewing pleasure]

Another option if its really pissing you off is to grab any LASER around 200mW + and burn the CCD out. make sure you wear a cunning disguise

Those cheap and nasty green Ebay LASERs will do the trick

dont stare into the beam !

i think you guys need to consider human psychology in your response.

( although i love scorpions response - that is a gem )

the guy is obviously infatuated / obsessed with you because of problems in his own life , so harness his weakness as your strength.

what would happen if someone gives him a new target for his infatuation by dropping mail in his box from some other " anonymous individual " with a fantasy conflict.

the guy will stop hating you , and might even want friendship instead if he feels threatened by someone else.

for example , if he gets unsigned letters threatening " i know you have been sleeping with my aunty betty ......i am gonna get you if you dont leave her alone "

or...... " we know you stole our swimming pool when you lived next to us in Vegas ...... we gonna git you "

you wouldnt want him to know who put it in his mail of course , but i think you understand what i am saying.

keep in mind though that the best way to get rid of an enemy is to make them your friend.

and the best way to inflame a conflict is by damaging his cameras.

i still think scorpions suggestion is an absolute gem

here in australia , it is illegal to point a camera at someone elses property without their permission , and that also applies to a street or footpath.

in fact if you go to the beach and take a photo of a pretty girl , police can charge you and / or delete the photo.

Hello, I joined here last summer and did a few posts asking about cameras. At that time we were having a problem with the neighbor behind us, he admitted to tresspassing and we told him to stay out. A few days later my son's expensive bike was vandalized so then we installed a few cameras which have so far kept the jerk out of our yard. My yard has a privacy fence down both sides and the gate is kept locked so nobody could have gotten in except from the nieghbor's yard behind me.

He has 2 cheap bullets installed on the back corner of his garage and the one cuts across the back corner of my yard. It sees at least 20 feet into my yard, possibly more. He has it there solely to film my yard as he has told anyone and everyone who would listen that he is getting it all on film, ... What to do? Anyone ever had a situation like this?

Bullies target quiet, mind-your-own-business and keep-to-yourself type people.

Dr Jean B. Healey, an expert on bullying (wwww.bullywatch.com.au) will tell you NEVER to give in to your bully.

Your bully sounds remarkably like ours. To stop him standing on ladders etc watching us over our fence - for hours at a time! - WE have installed security cameras. It stopped him... leering at us but only in the areas where the cameras covered. He responded by screaming lies to the street, to the police, to the Neighborhood Dispute Resolution Center etc. Now him and a 'friend' have targeted the coffee shop where the local (Bundaberg) councilors visit - just so they have a new audience for their lies of woe and injustice.

You just have to get used to people giving in to their lies and saying (to you) "After all you have done to poor [put name of bully here]..."

After a while you look at the people listening to and supporting these bullies - and most are total fronts using these incidents, and respectability, to hide who they really are. Tailbone215 is one of these people. So too are councilors who can hinder your building permit arbitrarily or expedite doubtful projects of your bully neighbour. One of the bully supporters is a grandmother who molested her two boy grandchildren when they were young.

Stand tall and don't give in to bullies.

Please contact Jean the expert!

I'll resurrect this thread with another case of a new neighbor. This is their first house and the guy owns his own business. He must bring a lot of cash home at night because he placed 6 of these cameras around his semi-detached home. One camera can see inside one of my bedrooms which has a door leading to the backyard. When I asked him about the cameras he said that when he moved in someone threw an egg on his wife's car and he needed security. He said that although the camera can see in the bedroom he will not peek in. My daughter and my grandson use that bedroom when they visit from out of town and I am located in Philadelphia, PA.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Guest

You could

1 Close the curtain/shade on the window.

2 Mount a cheap ir light by the window pointing at the camera. This should blind the camera at night. The light can not be seen by the naked eye except for a dull red glow at the lightsource itself.

Here is one. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOBOVISIN-CCTV-Array-IR-illuminator-infrared-lamp-6pcs-ArrayLed-IR-Light-Outdoor-Waterproof-for-CCTV-Camera/32570855226.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.AKduxC

3 Talk to him about moving the camera.

You could

1 Close the curtain/shade on the window.

2 Mount a cheap ir light by the window pointing at the camera. This should blind the camera at night. The light can not be seen by the naked eye except for a dull red glow at the lightsource itself.

Here is one. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOBOVISIN-CCTV-Array-IR-illuminator-infrared-lamp-6pcs-ArrayLed-IR-Light-Outdoor-Waterproof-for-CCTV-Camera/32570855226.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.AKduxC

3 Talk to him about moving the camera.

1. I could board up the window too.

2. Thanks for the idea.

3. Reread my post. I spoke to him and expressed my displeasure with the location and was told that he won't peek in the bedroom.