cronin

$1,000 budget for a system. Being threatened by scum bags.

Hello guys! This is my first post on the site and due to yesterday's incidents that happened between my mom and scum bags that hang out in our neighborhood, I decided that I will need to purchase a surveillance system for our house. My budget is $1,000 and I need 4 cameras, with 3 in front of the house and 1 in the back (I will post pictures of the house later and will go into details of the incident if anyone asks).

I saw Q-See QSC48030 cameras on Amazon for $130 each and I was thinking of getting 4 of those and then either get a good PCI card for the computer or a dedicated DVR box. I have over 5TB of storage on my hard drives and my computer is very good so it will be able to handle any PCI card. Any recommendations or links to other threads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

I would recommend an AverMedia AVerDiGi EB1304 NET DVR. Not sure on cameras, but I would stay away from the lower end Q-See stuff.

That and a nice 12GA just in case.

I do not know what to tell you about your budget.

I would say it would be the same about building a car for $1000.00.

Do you want brakes, or do you want a working transmission?

If you go to the "buy here, pay here" car lot then you get what you get.

If you are a mechanic then that is different. You know what "specs" you are looking for, and you know what the car needs to run. You do not need electric locks, AC, or a working radio.

You need good brakes, tires, tranny, and an engine. A mechanic will have spare batteries, starters, and alternators laying around, and those are the first of any item to go out on a used junker car.

What do you know about camera, and DVR specs? Here is where you need to look up the various links in the forum and look up CCTV magazines. If speed is of the essence then you are better off hiring someone!

Forget the budget. If you buy based on budget then you will crash, and burn. If you buy an auto battery for $5.00 (us) then what do you get?

It will turn your engine over one time, and thats it. If you engine "catches" the first time then you are good, and you got what you need. If your engine takes several starts to get it going then that battery is going to leave you stuck on the side of the road.

Measure from where you are going to mount the camera on the house out to the area where you are going to be watching. Double this distance for your night time IR distance.

Entry level cameras will have 30 feet of IR which means it is effective at 15 feet. This is great for most homes. If you require more distance then you sold yourself short on a cheap camera purchase.

Now based on your distance measured now find the cheapest camera that you can find. Pay more, and do not buy used so that you have a warranty. Do not buy from Craig's list, or EBAY if it is used. There is no warranty, and you may be buying a product that is at the end of it's life cycle. It might die in two months.

Any camera will work during the day. It is at night where the boy cameras, and the men cameras are seperated very fast.

What do you think?

My personal suggestion would be the Avermedia EB1304, as mentioned before. As far as cameras go, my preference for residential/small business ( which is about all I do) , are the Bullets and Mini-domes from USAGINC.Com. Their salesmans' name is Juan G. In my tests of the "under $150" cameras, their bullets beat everything hands down. I can keep most residential projects within your budget, when I use the USAGINC.com's cameras, and the Avermedia 1304. I have this setup on my own home now. I tested over a dozen or more, of the so-called "extended view IR" cameras on my front porch from one location, and recorded all to the same model Avermedia DVR's. I went with the Bullets from USAGINC. Gave the others away. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice guys! I completely understand what you mean when there is a budget involved but I don't need more than 15-20 feet of night time vision as I am only trying to protect my cars and have a camera recording the front door as well as the back door.

As far as the 12ga goes... well... I already have one of those but I'd rather not use it

With $1000.. that's not enough to get a decent system going. Q-See is crap.

Not sure if your intention is detection or deterance?

You'll need a good dvr, power supply, cable, hex crimper and cameras. Pelco and Bosch makes some nice domes for the money and they look good surface mounted. Fixed Camera Domes go anywhere from $50 to $500 depending on the brand, capabilities, lens and etc.

Realistically a well built and installed cctv system for a single family occupancy unit costs start $2000.

OR..... buy one really good day-night IP camera and a IR illuminator that way you get a great picture and can use your PC as the DVR use milestones 1 cam free dvr and its all gravy !

cams [make sure its got an IR cut filter or separate cam for night]

arecont 3130 etc

acti 7411

acti bullet

AXIS IR cut jobbies

IR

Extreme

raymax

axton

microlight

Ebay but watch out most is crapola [Tube type luxeon style aint bad]

and you'll have some spare cash for bullets !

my 2c

Yes... don't neglect the bullets (the projectile kind, not the camera kind).

Early warning via camera only does you good if you have some method to respond to the intruders... and dialing 911 isn't a fast enough option in most places.

You'll need help in seconds, not minutes.

I personally have Rebecca Peters from IANSA on speed dial. She is anti-gun, but she comes to the rescue within seconds with her magic cape when I call her.

I personally have Rebecca Peters from IANSA on speed dial. She is anti-gun, but she comes to the rescue within seconds with her magic cape when I call her.

I had to google her... what a sad, misguided individual (at least by my American standards)

I had to google her... what a sad, misguided individual (at least by my American standards)

me too