I was just wondering what do the pro installers use the most?

Geovision

Avermedia?

nuuo?

hikvision?

or have you been using standalones ?

I'm just getting started but lately i've seen more and more clients with mac's at home.. How have you dealt with that? just have them run a VM? (Virtual Machine with windows?)

i just tried an avermedia card and i'm unable to get remote playback over IE working properly.. i'm going to try again tomorrow but if it's difficult to playback old footage... the card is useless to me as this is the most important feature for most my clients.

I'm installing mostly Vigil systems, but then we deal mostly with higher-end applications. For those on a tighter budget, we put together our own VideoInsight systems; they use essentially the same capture cards as the base-model Vigils.

We generally try to avoid stand-alones unless the client is insistent on a really cheap solution.

I'm installing mostly Vigil systems, but then we deal mostly with higher-end applications. For those on a tighter budget, we put together our own VideoInsight systems; they use essentially the same capture cards as the base-model Vigils.

We generally try to avoid stand-alones unless the client is insistent on a really cheap solution.

Why do u consider Vigil higher-end system versus VideoInsight ?

Thanks

The Vigil software is, IMHO, more "polished" and better-integrated. Search is more powerful, interface is cleaner, analog and IP cameras all work within the same system (last time I set up a hybrid VI system, it needed two separate "server" apps for analog and IP, and you had to run the client app locally if you wanted to view both). Plus our main customers - fuel services - insist on POS integration; Vigil has had it for years, whereas VI has only just recently added it. I've also seen a beta version of Vigil with built-in Analytics.

And frankly, Vigil's tech support has always been better.

VI does have some advantages, including a proper complete web-based client (Vigil gives you some web-dev stuff to roll your own, but that's it), but I generally prefer the Vigil system.

The Vigil software is, IMHO, more "polished" and better-integrated. Search is more powerful, interface is cleaner, analog and IP cameras all work within the same system (last time I set up a hybrid VI system, it needed two separate "server" apps for analog and IP, and you had to run the client app locally if you wanted to view both). Plus our main customers - fuel services - insist on POS integration; Vigil has had it for years, whereas VI has only just recently added it. I've also seen a beta version of Vigil with built-in Analytics.

And frankly, Vigil's tech support has always been better.

VI does have some advantages, including a proper complete web-based client (Vigil gives you some web-dev stuff to roll your own, but that's it), but I generally prefer the Vigil system.

Thanks Soundy

does VI work with only their own cards? or with any card? are they software only?

We are tied to certain capture cards.

I'm demo'ing a VI system right now, and I have to say it's working well.

The Exacqvision demo software was unstable... kept crashing on me.

Luxriot doesn't offer a full demo, and while they claim to support Acti cameras and mexapixel, they don't list a single Acti megapixel camera model under their supported models. Pays to read the fine print.

Anyone have any good places for nuuo cards? What about a full demo of remote software? most of my clients want to be able to view remotely AND view past footage over IE... to see what time employees closed the store..

I'm just getting started building systems and have tested out Divis cards (easiest software yet.. all customers have loved ease of use especially remote playback of old video over IE )

Avermedia cards.. but i have been unable to get the remote playback over IE to work at all.. i can view live just fine.. no remote playback and i have all ports forwarded correctly...

Geovision cards i haven't had a chance to play with yet...

Thanks Soundy. It's always great to hear when our products are out in the field and making a difference. I'll add one thing that seems to always be the deciding factor when i'm talking to my dealer network, it's the recompression of megapixel cameras. That always seems to be the one 'kicker' when somebody specs our NVR or DVR, especially if they are going IP. Having the ability to store megapixel data without having to go to huge storage arrays is paramount in most cases. If anyone on here would ever like a demo of this, call me, I'll show you exactly what I mean in terms of file size for megapixel cameras with my in-house demo here in Colorado.

I am curuious though, other than Soundy who has used our Vigil DVR's and NVR's?

Does anyone know if Nuuo has a demo version available for IP cameras, ala Exacq, and Video Insight?

Sawbones,

I'm sorry, but NUUO don't have a live demo yet.

You can find NUUO demo videos on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=nuuo&aq=f.

I believe the videos can help you understand more of NUUO products.

If you want a trial version, you may check out our FTP site.

ftp://trial:trial99@nuuo.dnsalias.com/

Three trial versions are available: NVR (english only), NVR (multi-lingual), and Central Management System.

NUUO's trial versions is as much featured as the official ones are, except that they expire in 30 days. Please try them out and send your feedback.

I list some distinct features here.

* Integration with 31 brands of cameras (the number is ever-increasing for sure)

* Multi-lingual interface (22 for NVR/DVR/hybrid)

* 6 video analytics (general motion, foreign object, missing objects, camera occlusion, lost signal, lost focus), 10 different actions in response to events

* Complete product lines (NVRmini for SMB + PC-based NVR/DVR/hybrid for general audience + CMS for giant corporations) to satisfy all kinds of customer needs

Please also check out NUUO technical support website for more details.

http://support.nuuo.com/mediawiki/index.php/Software_features

http://support.nuuo.com/mediawiki/index.php/Cms

We are ready to answer any question from you!!!

Yung-chung Lin

Email: service@nuuo.com

I may be seen as out of place in this forum but I would not touch a PC based system

This is based on numerous bad experiences.

Andover Controls - Integral Tech DVx & DVXi

Keep failing

Pacom IDR2016

Keep failing

I have seen plenty and they are just PC's in most cases. Not servers or custom purpose build hardware.

Please correct me but they just dont have the reliability of a hardware DVR.

:twisted: I may be seen as out of place in this forum but I would not touch a PC based system

This is based on numerous bad experiences.

Andover Controls - Integral Tech DVx & DVXi

Keep failing

Pacom IDR2016

Keep failing

I have seen plenty and they are just PC's in most cases. Not servers or custom purpose build hardware.

Please correct me but they just dont have the reliability of a hardware DVR.

A fair number of the "hardware DVRs" I've seen are just embedded PCs using a custom form-factor motherboard and some form of embedded, usually *nix-based operating system.

And I've seen lots and lots of standalone units fail as well, custom hardware or otherwise. I've probably had more drive failures, percentage-wise, on standalone units, than with PCs, usually because they either have poorly-regulated power supplies, or poor cooling.

More than the platform itself, I think what it comes down to is the old truism, "You get what you pay for." Buy a CHEAP system, whether it's in a PC case, or a little tabletop case, and you'll get CHEAP performance and CHEAP reliability.

What Soundy said.

Most embedded systems are simply some variant of an x86 PC on a proprietary motherboard, with a proprietary case, and a proprietary form-factor power supply.

Why not get a generic small-form-factor PC and make a PC-based DVR/NVR? It's not like there are no encoder cards out there, or a lack of PC-based NVR software suites.

I'm partial to the IBM Thinkcentre PCs, and have an NVR based on one of those in my rack right now. I also have a *nix-based caching proxy/firewall/content-filtering PC based off the same form factor on the rack shelf above it. Thinkcentres are dirt-cheap on Ebay (approx $300 for a core2duo with 1-2GB of ram), and they're much quieter than the rack-mounted embedded DVRs I've encountered.

If something breaks in a PC-based NVR, you can easily find the parts online and replace them yourself... or upgrade the hard drive... or upgrade the memory/processore... or add another encoder card... or replace a seized-up fan... or swap out a dead PSU... or... or... or...

It sure beats sending the unit back to the manufacturer, being without it for a week or so, and paying for a tech to replace a simple part. For instance, a hard-drive upgrade. That's a commodity part... even DVR-rated drives are only $100-150, and it takes a tech 30 seconds to swap it out. That should cost 200-300 dollars... but it inevitably costs more... plus the cost of shipping a heavy item like a DVR... plus insurance...

I've done the embedded thing, and I'm moving to PC-based.

Most embedded systems are simply some variant of an x86 PC on a proprietary motherboard, with a proprietary case, and a proprietary form-factor power supply.

Yep... given the state of the technology, there's little benefit to reinventing the proverbial wheel by building something customized from the ground up.

Why not get a generic small-form-factor PC and make a PC-based DVR/NVR? It's not like there are no encoder cards out there, or a lack of PC-based NVR software suites.

That's what we've been doing with the VideoInsight packages for several years, using the little cube-case machines from Shuttle. They work quite well, and drive space is easily expandable with external USB or Firewire drives (or even eSATA on newer machines). And we "borrowed" that idea from Camacc, who has been using similar cube cases for their Vigil DVRs for years.

If something breaks in a PC-based NVR, you can easily find the parts online and replace them yourself... or upgrade the hard drive... or upgrade the memory/processore... or add another encoder card... or replace a seized-up fan... or swap out a dead PSU... or... or... or...

Or pull everything out and put it into a more powerful system... or... or... or...

I've done the embedded thing, and I'm moving to PC-based.

I started with PC-based (well, coming out of VCRs and MUXes). Every time I've had to put in a standalone DVR (usually because a customer wants to go the cheap route), I've ended up cursing it... and usually the customer has too.