captain001

[b]Problem with remote viewing[/b]

I have been trying to view my dvr remotely and nothing seems to work. My setup is simple. I have a WOLFCOM 4ch MPEG 4 DVR with video viewer, same as AVC 760 and many other out there. ( next time I will buy from a company that has support ),windows XP service pk 3, and Millenicom wireless broadband using a pantech UM175 modem. and an account with dyndns. That is it, no router.. I can view the dvr when I type in my local IP address. I have windows ICS hooked up and a crossover cable between dvr and computer. I have been told that I need a router and then told I do not? I have been told that I should be able to use my computer to view the dvr over the net and then told I have to use a remote computer? ( I can't get any straight answers ). What network setup do I use, DHCP,PPPoE or Static, I have PPPoE right now ( my IP changes somtimes hence the dyndns account ). Can anyone shed some light on this. If I can get this working there are a couple of neighbors that would be interested in this also, I'm in the sticks. About everywhere I searched has reference to modems, not a direct connection to computer. I was hoping to find a block diagram where I could just find my type of set up and just input my IP's etc. but can't find anything like that. Thanks for any help

yes, you will need a router that supports Dynamic DNS, which most do these days. Unless the Dynamic DNS is builtin function to the DVR, which is most likely is not.

You will need to do two things with the router:

1. setup a port forward to connect the local IP address to port you will address from the browser (usually it is port 80)

2. setup Dynamic DNS to connect to your Dynamic DNS provider

I agree!

I would have you change the port 80 to port 75. This can be done in the menu under networking.

Here are some links for networking you DVR.

http://scorpiontheater.com/videonetworkingwithavtech.aspx

If you are looking for more information there are some links here:

http://scorpiontheater.com/troubleshooting.aspx

Buy, or borrow a router. If you get a Linksys, or Netgear, then most of us can help you through the menus. If you get some off brand then you are own your own unless you can find a forum for that specific brand to help you.

An internet cable will go from the modem (from you ISP), and it will connect to your router. Your computer will plug in to the back of the router, and the DVR will also plug in to the back of the router.

Get a pen/pencil/crayon, and a piece of paper to write on.

For windows XP click on the start button on the lower left, and look for the run icon. Inside the run icon you will type cmd, and then click OK. This will open a box. Where your prompt is type in ipconfig. Write down all of this info.

IP Address

Subnet Mask

Default Gateway

If it shows your ISP DNS numbers then write that down. If not then do not worry.

Now lets check to see if your computer connects to the internet. If yes continue. If no, and you are unable to resolve this then find a 16 year teenager, and they will have you connected, and downloading free video games in 5 seconds flat!

You will need manually go through your DVR to the network page (from the front panel).

Press the MENU button

Press ENTER 4 times (this equals 0000) This will allow you into the menu.

Click on ADVANCE

Click on NETWORK

set it for DHCP

This will allow your DVR to "see" what your router is giving it for an IP address on the local LAN.

Write down the IP address assigned to your DVR from your router. Change the port number to 75 (or any number you prefer).

Now change your DVR NETWORK to STATIC. It may "remember" the numbers assigned to the DVR, or you may have to manually punch in those numbers.

Once you have your number set up then you can go back to your computer.

Open up your browser, and in the address bar type in ipchicken.com

This will go to a website that will show you your outside address (or, public address). Write this number down.

This is the number that you will give to your friend/relatives to see your DVR from their house, or for you to use when you are a way from home.

Now click on Video Viewer (or for older models Video Server E), and you will see an ICON that looks like a piece of paper with a looking glass over it. Click on it, and it should show you your DVRs local lan IP address. On the bottom right there is an icon that looks like two arrows chasing each other. Click on that to see if it brings up your DVR.

If it does not show up then there may be some issue that you may need to look in to.

You can read more on how to network AVTech DVRs here:

AVTECH NETWORKING GUIDE

Can any of you sugest a modest priced router for the um175, there seems to be compatibility issues and most people recommend cradlepoint routers. I will be using it right at my desk top computer. (somthing easy to set up also). There are no big stores around here so I'll probably end up ordering one.

Am I missing something here?

"Pantech UM175 Wireless USB Modem and a D-LINK DIR-655"?

How did you do that metafizx?

captain,

I didn't realize your connection is direct USB 3G wireless.

Once I looked up the Pantech UM175, I realized what you have.

This won't work with the router I suggested, so hopefully you didnt order that.

Usually you have cable or DSL for this type of setup. But I guess 3G is getting more popular these days.

In your case, the USB modem is normally plugged into your laptop or computer, it isn't shared. So you need a 3G router....

With a quick internet search, there seems to be 3G Routers available.

One from Netgear is MBR624GU, or D-Link DIR-451 or DIR-450

Try NewEgg they seems to have quite a few.

I would check out the cradlepoints again. I too have heard good things about them. Also I see a lot of users online to help out with support.

I just noticed that the DIR-655 D-Link router that I had originally suggested does support 3G adapter in it's USB slot.

Just FYI in case you got it...