nocturnal59

Cat5e for Power, two 24awg does that make the guage lower?

I always use siamese cable for my power 18/2. I took over a job today were the previous installer used r6 cabel for video and cat5 to power each camera. It looks like he doubled up on each one to power, like white-orange, orange twisted together then white-blue, blue twisted together. i think cat5 cable is 24awg per strand. By doubling up two 24awg cables would that in theory make it a lower guage cable capable of running longer distances. Ill stick with my siamese cable but was just curios. Thanks

Hi, Can you please expand on that answer

Do you know what two 24 gauge conductors used together is equal to?

22,20,18??

If CAT5 was used with Baluns for video, can you run either 12VDC or 24AC down the other pairs for power. Any "noise" or interferance?

Thanks a bunch

Here is a link to calculators that can determine the effective wire gauge of multiple strands and conductors:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/awgcalculator.html

In your case, two 24 gauge wires in parallel equals 21 gauge. Three would equal 19 gauge, etc. It would take an entire 4-pair CAT-5 cable to equal one 18/2 power wire.

We often use one CAT-5 for video, power and PTZ control signals and have never experienced interference between functions.

I always use siamese cable for my power 18/2. I took over a job today were the previous installer used r6 cabel for video and cat5 to power each camera. It looks like he doubled up on each one to power, like white-orange, orange twisted together then white-blue, blue twisted together. i think cat5 cable is 24awg per strand. By doubling up two 24awg cables would that in theory make it a lower guage cable capable of running longer distances. Ill stick with my siamese cable but was just curios. Thanks

It sure does. If the runs are short and there are no IR's to power this works fine. The more strands you use the thicker the cable for power gets!