slowforthecones

Wiring Question (inteference or not?)

hey guys. I just spec'd out a new install in a 5 story apartment building. this is the first time I'm using twisted pair and baluns. There is 16 cameras planned as well as a alarm system wiring.

So with a 3/4" conduit already available to me straight from ground floor to top. I will be running (2) 18/4 unshielded wires, (4) cat5 wires, (2) 22/4 alarm wires in the same conduit.

Will the unshielded 18/4 cause interference with the twisted pair running side by side same conduit?

obviously the 18/2 is for power......what kind, ac or dc? voltage?

also, why not power cameras closer to the camera?

obviously the 18/2 is for power......what kind, ac or dc? voltage?

also, why not power cameras closer to the camera?

Yeah the 18/4 is for the power of some of the units housings that have a blower & heater. I wanted to run 18/4 just incase the power from the balun wouldn't be enough. It would be AC power and the client wanted a central power source since it would be hooked up to a large UPS.

So would there be interference having unshielded 18/4 wires running right next to the cat5 in the same conduit?

There shouldn't be. We commonly run UTP video, 24VAC power and PTZ control side-by-side in the same conduit with no problems.

alos, be careful of powering all and the distance of wire.......you may run out of amps when everything is running.

Good idea powering the cameras closer to the source, spoke to the client awhile ago and they approved such. These clients own 3000 residential apartment units so whatever they say..I do. i'm their regular service/install guy.

If you can power closer it would enable you to run a spare cat 5 or six for that eventual expansion. once you make your initial pull through that conduit it will be hared to re-enter it with an additional wire. Also some codes only allow a % of fill. If you could power each floor from a seperate power supply it would make your trouble shooting much easier.

Be careful in running power closer to the camera, if the ground potential of different GPO ciruits differs then you may run into issues, ensure that all GPO's are the same ground potential first