Rio_Grande

Don't quite understand port forwarding and kudos

I just upgraded our software for our DVR wich includes ability to monitor remotely ofcourse can't login because of this port forwarding thing. I have requested from our IT department to enable port forwarding. Is there any reason they would not do this? Is there a big risk to the entire network doing this?

if you have an IT department, they should have been able to get this up in minutes, why didn't you ask them for help? If you have a router and a bridge you may need to set up NAT and port forwarding to get from the outside to the DVR. What type of business is this set up in that the workers don't know it's there? and did you check to see if it is legal? depending on location, it doesn't matter if it is audio or video.

Indiana the only restriction is USC on audio.

The employer placed them for asset protection. No laws against it in this state. But Audio is strictly prohibited unless one party in the conversation is aware. You couldn't place them in say a rental apartment at the behest of the owner...

I am still out on this,, I can view on lan, port forwarded properly but when I dial into the server from the outsde I get time out error. it will not connect. I think I have something wrong but I can't figure out what.

Verizon is no help whatsoever. as to if they are blocking the ports.

I am replacing the router at my cost to get a linksys so I can get a tutorial on port forwarding to be sure it is done right.

Any further suggestions. ?

Just to contribute to the forum. for anyone reading this. The problems I listed above can be caused bt a DSL modem.