scorpion

Feedback requested on my "how to page"

Nice Cell Phone Camera huh?

You would think the amount of money you spend on a phone they would give you a quality lens.

There is not much I can do for the photos.

If I could figure a way to sell the info, and have advertising then maybe I can hire a video crew, and be the next "Bob Villa", or "John Greviskis" from Ship Shape http://www.shipshapetv.com/

Welcome to this Old CCTV! Hi I'm Scorpion, and in this episode we are going to......

It does not cost me anything to take a picture with the cellphone, and it does not cost much to put it on the website so the informations is message.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nice write up!

I'd kill you though if I caught you dremeling out a soffit on a house like that. LOL

Did you put some wood patch on it and then repaint it too?

It might have been just as easy to install a surface mount single gang jbox on the outside before you have to pass over the two 2x4's and then use a gland nut to pass the cable into the jbox.

Nice work otherwise.

Yes, I patched it, but I do not paint.

I had originally installed the camera, and had the camera lead run back to the hole with the wire attached to the soffit.

The owner tells me his wife does not like to see the wiring, and she is "all upset".

I told him that I could pull it through, but he is going to have all of these holes. He did not care about the holes, and I described a more brutal way to pull the wires, and then showed him what I did after the fact, and he was actually relieved to see a low impact solution.

The funny thing was the guy did not remove any of the items above his garage in storage so that I could run my wires. That was real interesting trying to manuever around all of these Christmas display boxes that looked like he was decorating Disney World, or something!

HERE IS A TEST!

This is a 1.5 million dollar home! Did you notice the RJ11 camera connections? The customer bought the "all in one" 4 cam kit, and hired me to only install it.

I tried to talk him out of it, but he refuses to budge!

I wish someone could have taken a photo of my face when he answered the door, and shows me the box that he ordered on line!

I find it ironic how "anal" he was about all of the install points yet he is using this.

I should have mounted the cameras with bubble gum, and then said

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Isn't it funny that the people that theoretically SHOULD have the money and the wherewithal to know that they need to spend money on something like this, are the biggest tightwads?

Scorpion- You should add a 6' flexible drill bit to your kit. You could have gone in one hole, through the studs, and grabbed the bit at the far end.

Available on-line or at Lowes Hardware stores. You can get a right angle device that will let you "aim" the bit from inside the wall as well.

Isn't it funny that the people that theoretically SHOULD have the money and the wherewithal to know that they need to spend money on something like this, are the biggest tightwads?

Thats often how they become rich in the first place, being mean and tight fisted... Cant say I have ever met any generous rich people in my life.

Come to think of it, never met any rich people that struck me as particularily intelligent either. They must exist, just never come across any that I know of yet.

Great advice about the long flexible drill bit!

http://www.lsdinc.com/content/product_details/19

https://www.wirecare.com/land_ls61.asp

http://www.telephoneparts.com/product/Tools/Drill+Bits

I had no way of getting the bit out on the other side. I would have to cut open the soffit to get to the bit.

The hole was far enough away from the stud that it would bend out of the soffit.

The other problem was the electrical wiring that was there. I did not know if the wire was stapled to the stud, or not. I doubt it was, but I wanted others reading this post to think about it.

That would have been a shocking experience!

Edited by Guest

Cut my nails!!!!!!?????

Are you kidding? Those are the best tools I have!

Lets see! Let me pull out this "swiss army knife": scraper, tweezer, staple removal, flat blade screwdriver, prybar, squeegee, and I know there are more!!!

LOL!

I like the how-to's.

On the BNC/power pigtail page you mention 16/2. Is it really 16/2 or the more common 18/2? I'm just thinking even if it is 16/2 it might be better to call it 18/2. Most DIY'ers will be using 18/2 and will be more confident in your instructions if you are too.

How about adding some drywall fishing pictures? I consider myself pretty competent at fishing walls, but really get a twisted enjoyment out of watching others having to fish walls from the attic.

Fishing is a good one!

I'll do a series when I get the chance.

16/2 was a typo! Thanks!

I have thought about doing a webcam "TV show".

If you ever seen "This old house", or "Ship Shape" then what would you think of an online CCTV how to?

I would imagine it would only be of interest to the DIY trying their first install, but I could not imagine the die hard watching unless I used "insider jokes", or it was more based on "American Chopper".

Get to work, or I shove my size 91/2 up your ***.

NO! Sorry! It just does not sound right in my shoe size!

What do you guys think about video how tos, or Web TV show?

Cut my nails!!!!!!?????

Are you kidding? Those are the best tools I have!

Lets see! Let me pull out this "swiss army knife": scraper, tweezer, staple removal, flat blade screwdriver, prybar, squeegee, and I know there are more!!!

LOL!

don't forget wire strippers, I have a permanent groove in my thumb nail from that. All in all good instructions. I would watch your web show, maybe you can do a podcast too. One quick question, with all your tweets, webcasts, tutorials, podcasts, ect ect do you work anymore? jk

I think online tutorials are a great idea... remember the man who was trying to figure out how to mount a camera on his soffit?

Basic stuff like fishing walls, mounting and wiring, camera and lens selection, infrared deployment...

If it saves somebody from buggering up their walls or ceiling, it's worth it.