monostump

Best of: Megapixelcamera day/night

Problems of course!

But is there any megapixel camera on the market that is good even in nightmode?

Today i´m using 8 cameras from Arecont AV2100D/N together with IR Raytec Raymax AI30-50.

Everything is looks good until there is a moving object in picture.

Everything in Low Light Mode has been tested. Quality, Balanced, Speed but there is still problem with the pictures.

Is there any good cameras at all on the market that could handle this.

Ok, we will still stand with the price around the cost of an AV2100D/N.

The customer is not satisfied with the material they got.

Mostly of the cameras is looking on an area like 85 deegrees and from 2 metres and about 30 metres away. So its big areas and we are only using fixed lenses. 4mm, 8mm and 12mm

Do the customer has to high thought about the result or could i give the customer a result och quality with more or less megapixels???

/ A mislead "try to be a CCTV"- installer from Sweden

My opinion is that cameras with CMOS sensors should not be used where its dark. I believe that your problem besides this is the shutter speed and exposure.

That is correct.

There is a lag in the pictures when there is moving objects.

But there is no Megapixels like 2.0 with CCD circuits?

Or its more expensive?

That is correct.

There is a lag in the pictures when there is moving objects.

But there is no Megapixels like 2.0 with CCD circuits?

Or its more expensive?

I Think Lumenera has 2.0 MP CCD cameras

Problems of course!

Today i´m using 8 cameras from Arecont AV2100D/N together with IR Raytec Raymax AI30-50.

Everything in Low Light Mode has been tested. Quality, Balanced, Speed but there is still problem with the pictures.

Mostly of the cameras is looking on an area like 85 deegrees and from 2 metres and about 30 metres away. So its big areas and we are only using fixed lenses. 4mm, 8mm and 12mm

Do the customer has to high thought about the result or could i give the customer a result och quality with more or less megapixels???

Why didn't you quote/use the 3130 day/nite?

Problems of course!

Try not rule out an entire technology (CMOS) because of a few manufacturers that do not implement it well. Should I avoid Canon's entire line of digital SLR cameras because they use CMOS sensors and I might want to take a picture in low light?

Mobotix cameras take great pictures in the dark with a CMOS sensor. They'll do it outside in Canada-cold winters too, without a heater. Mobotix provides the shutter speed specifications needed to take a picture in the dark. I wish other manufacturers would do the same.

I know it's not multi-megapixel, but here is a picture taken by a M12D-IT-DNIGHT. It's VGA only, but it demonstrates that CMOS can be just fine in the dark with the right shutter speed:

m12d_night.jpg

Problems of course!

There may be a number of reasons you are not getting good images in low light and getting motion blur.

From what I know about the Arecont camera the one your using does not have auto iris, is this correct?, so in low light the camera is adjusting the exposure setting to get the most light in, thus causing motion blur on moving objects. Also if you are not using IR corrected lenses the focal point changes alot when changing to monchrome mode and the image may become blury.

It would be best to use a Megapixel D/N camera with auto irs and IR corrected lens for this application, preferably with Auto Focus. Or a High Megapixel Colour CCD Camera with a low f/stop, Auto Iris lens and the Raymax white light unit with a PE cell.

Also with the 2MP camera and 85 degree FOV at 2M your are getting an OK effective "pixels on target" of around 290 pixels per meter with a scene width of about 6.5M, however at 30M your scene width is up around 55M and "pixels on target" of only around 35 pixels per meter which is very poor resolution.

Here is one shot from the camera.

The Rotakin is looking good but not me on the move.....

The material should not use to identify, just to recognize.

test.JPG.dd7f209b770566e92784ebed8c12ecd0.JPG

I am not saying that CMOS is crap, just saying that CCD is a better choice when its dark. The limitation with CCD is ofcourse resolution compared to CMOS as you already know. Can be alittle tricky with megapixel and bad lighting. The 3130 should be a good choice I guess in this case.

megapixel man - "Also with the 2MP camera and 85 degree FOV at 2M your are getting an OK effective "pixels on target" of around 290 pixels per meter with a scene width of about 6.5M, however at 30M your scene width is up around 55M and "pixels on target" of only around 35 pixels per meter which is very poor resolution."

Is there any calculator for this information you give me here???

Should really be intresting to see..

I haven't yet seen a megapixelcamera that can produce good sharp images of moving objects under low-light conditions. Perhaps the best solution is to use several VGA-cameras instead. I saw that "förfrågningsunderlag" and I think it is obvious that the author only studied brochures. That's why I didn't send a quotation. Also the SS-EN 50132-7 isn't really applicable with megapixelcameras. 50% of the image height for recognizing, but at what resolution or zoom level? SS-EN 50132-7 and SSF1060 are already obsolete, they are made for analog cameras and video tapes. But it is all there is to set some form of standard.

Maybe you could get a little better results with manual exposure settings. It is really difficult when you have mixed light sources like this. Perhaps the Raymax 200 would have been a better choice. But camera position 6 is a big area and I think it is much to ask to produce those kind of images under those light conditions with only one camera. Maybe you could black out the lamp-posts with the camera's masking tool.

As Ted said, thats a large scene to expect 1x 2MP camera to cover, especially if you have to comply to a standard of 50% image height for recognition. Do you have to produce that standard at the furthest distance in the scene from the camera?

It sounds like your standard is very similar to our standard here in Australia, and it is old and based on analog CCTV, and has not been revised for IP or megapixel cameras. So the required zoom and resolution level is what ever it needs to be to achieve the standard on the monitor the image is being viewed on, and I think you need to be looking at 250+ pixels per meter at the furthest point in the scene to acheive the standard as a minimum.

To achieve the standard with that scene I would (without having the specific scene measurements) think you would need about 4x 5 MP cameras at a minimum.

There are caculators available to determine the pixels on target for megapixel cameras. I cannot post here.

CCD megapixel cameras do perform better in low light over CMOS. Also CCD megapixel cameras that have an EF mount lens offer further benifits in terms of lens optics, and the ammout of light available to the sensor. For example to cover that scene (if the budget allowed) I would be looking at the required mutiples of Colour CCD in either 2MP or 4.2MP Cameras with Cannon L series lenses 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4 or even the 50mm f/1.2, , as I said if the required outcome out weighed the budget. These coupled with the Raymax White Light units may achieve the best results. I have a project comming up with these cameras and Raymax white light units, so I will report on their performance.

Also as said in another post you will need to manually set your exposure setting on the existing cameras to limit the ammount of motion blur you are getting at night, you will need to find a balance between the day and night time performance.

I've had similar problems with a 2mp CMOS camera, image posted in megapixel image thread. The only way I can achieve limited motion blur is to flood the area with IR light, This image is from a 5mp CMOS using a Raytec Fusion 100 120degree angle. Still not brilliant when your 5+ meters from the camera.

I'll post again using the Raymax Fusion 100 50 degree angle once it arrives

5mpnightcompressed.jpg.11d0f048a9057085695118bd80ba3f1c.jpg

was talking about avigilons software not areconts being free

No, not free with camera purchase. available in different software channel license configs of 1, 4, 8, 16 and 24 and includes software, Software channel lics and 1 viewing client lic.

Each Avigilon Camera takes one software channel, and each analog encoder takes one software channel regardless of the number of cameras connected to it ie: 1-4.

I think the issue can be fixed by making the shutter speed faster. That can get rid of the blurriness but the image might get darker at night.

Give it a try!

Rainman - oki, what happens in the picture then?

Are u standing still or are you on the move?

Its not so far away and there is no big angle from the camera?

Nice to see...

Now i´ve got lots of information about this case from here and around.

Lots of info to give to the consultant for the customer.

In my image i'm opening and closing the van door quickly with no motion blur. The camera is a 5mp Avigilon the area is completely dark without the IR. I think there a fair level of lighting in Megapixel man's picture.

Very interesting image, megapixelman. Do you know what shutterspeed was used? Lens? Is it a mechanical IR-filter?

In my image i'm opening and closing the van door quickly with no motion blur. The camera is a 5mp Avigilon the area is completely dark without the IR. I think there a fair level of lighting in Megapixel man's picture.

I agree. The picture is taken almost right underneath that streetlamp.