jets

Can't view avi files transferred to another PC.

Hi. I had transferred all the recorded cam video files from a dedicated PC with Geovision 250 card. I transferred the files to a 500gb portable HDD. When I access the transferred files on a separate PC, I can see thumbnails of a video frame for each file. However when I try to play any of them, all I get is black on WMP. I tried DiVX player also, and a pop up note says the file doesn't contain video. How can I see the files? Did I do something wrong? I need to burn pertinent files onto disk. Help please. Thx.

For playback, it is best to manage the .AVI files using the GeoVision recording software. The Geovision playback software offers faster/slower playback, forward or reverse play, zoom-in, brightness/contrast etc. A time frame can be extracted from the original recording for playback using the GeoVision software for Windows media player.

The playback computer will need to have the GeoVision codec installed. The GeoVision playback program will load the codec (sometimes administrator rights may be necessary)

The monitor’s resolution should be 1024x768 or greater.

Pressing the “ k â€

Hi Mattb: Thanks for reply. However, I need to present a client with captured video images from the Geovision- carded DVR. I have copied just the AVI cam image files from the HD on the Geovision-carded PC, to a portable HD. The client will not have Geovision software on their computer. I deleted the cam video image folders from the DVR PC. All I have now are avi files on a portable storage drive. It sounds like the procedure you graciously outlined depends on there being some of the original cam image video files on the HD. (?) Basically whenever I capture video, I need to put it on a disk, or post it to a website, for a client to see/ download. No clients will have Geovision software on their PC. I appreciate you assistance. Please advise. Thx

I can't say that I've come across this yet but....sounds like you may need to "transcode" the AVI files. Something like WinAVI, SUPER or similar program.

Programs like this will re-encode the file as AVI, MPEG, etc. I'll give it a try, too.

Hi- Finally getting a chance to reply. Re: Mattb- is the a particular Geovision software for playing back in Win Media player? For future, how should I handle the scenarios where I only have 1 PC/ DVR and after I install it for a week or 2, I need to save the video that was recorded, and re-deploy the PC/ DVR to another site for more video capture the next day? Should I be dealing with removable hard drives? What is typically done here?

Hi – The best way to display recordings from the GeoVision recorder on a different computer is to use the playback software included on a video backup created by the GeoVision recorder. The playback program will allow much better control. The playback program will also allow exporting the video in a single .AVI file that can be viewed on any computer that has had the GeoVision codecs installed (but sacrificing the ability to reverse, slow, step-by-frame, etc)

You will have a lot of difficulty using any other playback software on the time-lapse AVI files, particularly if some cameras were set to record on motion only.

A video backup is created by pressing the F10 key (or the backup button), selecting the time and cameras. Be sure the 'include playback software' box is checked. Older Geovision versions default to saving on the C:\ drive - the newer versions allow navigating to a different drive.

Since your video has been copied to the external drive, I would suggest these steps to play back the video with the GeoVision software: -

First create a backup with the same number of cameras from any GeoVision recorder to a different portable hard drive. Study the directory structure; you may need to change some folders to reflect the actual date of the recording.

Delete the .AVI files on the new backup, and replace them with the files you saved initially.

Next, run the ‘repair database utility’. The name is something like EZRepair (I don’t have a disk with me). When you run the repair utility, you will need to click the square icon to search the desired location. Then run the executable for the backup - EZViewlog500.exe. Use the pull-down on the upper left to select a camera, or select ’multiview’ and all cameras will be on-screen.

If you are having difficulty, one other option would be to just copy the original files to the folder where you have created a new backup and run the repair utility with the box checked to ‘search entire drive’. The repair utility seems to do a good job locating and identifying video files. After the repair, again run the executable for the backup - EZViewlog500.exe.

I have seen video submitted successfully on DVD. The original was exported as an AVI using the GeoVision playback program, then rendered into DVD with NERO or Roxio DVD creating software. Again, the GeoVision software was necessary to create the exported AVI file.

The Geovision playback codec is necessary to replay a Geovision exported video. A user with administrator rights can install the codecs. An instillation program is available on this forum under the topic “Free Software for GeoVision DVRs >> Install Geo Codecsâ€