kaysadeya

12V distribution

I currently have 4 cameras in various locations connected to a central 9-output 12v power supply. I need to power an additional 4 cameras about 50' away, but they will all be in the same general location.

Due to constraints with my conduit size (hopefuly that wasn't another joke for you Brits.. ), I'd rather not have to run a separate wire for each of the new cameras, so am considering the following two options:

* Run a single 18awg wire to the power supply to feel all four cameras.

* The power supply has the transformer in the plug, so the output is 24v (I think) which then gets converted to 12v in the box. Would it be reasonable to use 18awg to extend the length of the power cord between the transformer/plug and the box about 50'? I'd then get another, dual-voltage power supply for the central location.

Are either of these options reasonable, or should I just bite the bullet and run separate power lines for each camera?

18 g may not cut it. I'd lay out the wire and camera's in one spot before you install and turn it all on to see how it works out. You need to add up the total amps of the 4 camera's, add that to your current (no pun intended) amp draw. If you have enough power supply amps you can run one wire out to a seperate terminal/fuse block where you can split it out to the 4 camera's. Make sure you place fuses inline to protect the circuits.

The power supply is fed by one (8 output or smaller) or two transformers that feed a terminal block with fuses. If you have a 6 amp box you can pull 2 amps on one feed and the remaining 4 on the others. In other words, amp add up. Fuses are a whole different subject, but, if you don't use fuses you are taking a chance I would not.

I currently have one of these Elk-PD9 power distribution modules:

http://www.eyespyvideo.com/powersupplies/pwr-9dc.htm

Contrary to what I said earlier, the transformer/plug outputs 12v 1.5amps. Each output is individually current protected.

A couple of questions:

* Could I extend the line between the transformer/plug and the distribution module 50' using 18awg?

* Is this unit sufficient to power four cameras with DC-powered auto iris lenses (let's just say four Sanyo VCB-3384s)?

I'll be installing some high-quality Bosch cameras in another location and don't want to take any chances with the quality of the power supply, so I'll be upgrading the central box to a dual-voltage unit. I'm currently looking at the following two units:

http://www.spytown.com/dualvol12vol.html

Anyone with an opinion on which is better? Are there other alternatives I should be considering?

I have used the ALTRONIX in a couple of installations, and they are Great, works perfectly, but I just only think that they are a little overpriced.

Currently I'm using a P3 power supply, and they are much cheaper, and they work PERFECT.

www.pthree.com

check them out

Currently I'm using a P3 power supply, and they are much cheaper, and they work PERFECT.

check them out

They don't appear to have a dual-voltage power supply. Also, I can only find one supplier and their prices for P3 units are similar to ALTRONIX units:

http://www.eyetechdigital.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=30

Pthree Power Supplies are available through the following distributors as well as direct.

ADI, VSS, Windy City Wire, Northern Video, North American Video, Anixter, Esentia, Crest Electronics, Electronics Line, Target Distributing,

If you have any questions please email or contact me in regards to Pthree Power Supplies

I just bought a new 12vdc power distribution box which I am thinking about returning. The reason is because it uses the soldered type of fuses rather than standard in-line fuse. Plus there is no potentiometer to adjust the voltage.

The thought of having to replace a fuse by soldering it on a circuit board is not a pleasant thought. I can do it but it's a pain in the neck not to mention you have to turn off the whole power supply in order to service the circuit board.

I am wondering if I should send this unit back and perhaps buy another power distribution box that uses standard fuses and allows for voltage adjustments.

Below is a photo of what the power supply looks like.

At the 12 volt setting it outputs 13.55 volts and on the 13 1/2 volt setting it outputs 15.11 volts. It is rated at four amps.

It is half the price of the name brand units, but not if I have to do a service call the first time a fuse(s) blows.

What type of power distribution units are you using?

32157_1.jpg

I don't see the fuses? I see the capacitors, resistors, diodes, switch, but no fuses? are you talking about the tan round (capacitor looking) slotted 1 thru 9? If so, those are most likely fuses that reset on thier own and you don't have to solder anything unless they go completely bad.

the 13.55 vdc is not good for your camera's. 12vdc camera's have a +/- tolerance and it usually does not push into the teens. you want a solid 12vdc at the end of the camera's.

You might consider one of these as I have used them without any problems. It's a PIDB-1224-ACDC box with a 2.1mm female input plug.

you can then input from any 12vdc 3 amp type power supply that has a 2.1 male end. this box will distribute 12vdc or 24vac via 9 fused outputs....fuses reset when triped. i use this for 2 or 3 camera installs that are remoted from the main buildings and indoors. neat little box. ie. running 3 IR bullets via a 3amp 12vdc plugin, plugged into a small APC for bpower backup. works pretty good.

http://www.pimfg.com/CAT/Fall2003W/PDF/101.pdf

and i get my cheap power supplies from eclipse. they work great and i have not had any issues with them to date.

The sticker inside the box does indicate the main fuse is 3.3 amps (It’s rated a 4 amp box?) and the resetable fuses are 1.1 amps each. I didn't realize that these fuses could be tripped and then reset. I'm used to working with normal fuses. After measuring the voltage output I was concerned also. My line of thinking is like yours except that after reading the specifications for an Altronix ALT1224C stating the voltage should be turned up to 13.75vdc when a battery is connected I am still somewhat confused.

Do these power boxes put out a little bit more power than what they're rated at? The cameras I am using one this job will run between 12 and 15 V DC or 24 V AC. I guess this box will work for this job but I'm still curious to know if other boxes run at similar voltages.

Thank you for the information. That other product you're talking about looks pretty good. You gave a better explanation of what that thing does than what that PDF file did. Is there a PDF or a link you can give me that will give more detailed information and perhaps a better picture of that power distribution box? Never know I might want to try one of them.

as long as you have all your camera's rated to the power supply output your fine, but I know most cams are 12vdc +/- a small percentage and do not go beyond 12.5 vdc..................I would not use it myself. other than to power the camera that specifically states it van handle it. powersupplies do not exceed the 12vdc margin and most are not adjustable.

I don't have any other link for the distro box. I know it works............

Sounds like I need to send this box back. I want to be able to put any 12 volt camera on it and not have to worry about it.

Yes, it just doesn't make sense to output 13 1/2 volts when it is on a 12 V setting or 15.11 V when it's on a 13 1/2 volts setting. So it's screwed up. Thanks for the input I thought that was the situation.

So I'm back shop in for a power supply. Do you have a link or model number of the eclipse power supply that you recommend?

I got less than what I paid for

I have that exact 12v box pictuered above in my house and have not had any problems. I was also wondering about the fuses and did not relize they reset.

Are they better,worrse or the same as the replaceable fuses? In the future should I just stick with the boxes you can replace the fuses with? On my installs I always use the Atronix.

Stick to something like Altronix with normal fuses. Power is their business. Pthree are also great. The way I understand it those type of fuses are used in things like basic surge protectors ... (i could be wrong though im no power pro)

--------------------------------

"Under normal operating conditions, strings of carbon particles conduct current while exhibiting a very low internal resistance."

"When the fuse's trip or fault current is exceeded, the particle strings break up and disburse randomly followed by a rise in internal resistance of several orders of magnitude."

"This rapid increase in resistance limits current flow to nearly zero, effectively protecting the downstream circuitry."

"When the fault subsides or the power is removed, the Polyfuse cools and resets, returning to its pretripped state."

---------------------------

Doesnt seem like much protection to me.

Edited by Guest

Thanks. I just got the other one real cheap and I use it for some of my home camers. All my other cameras at home are 24v and I use Altronix for them.

yep, for real, ive had my cheap eclipse bullet camera up there a while now, and before that was a provideo, all on the same old cable and that cable is spliced with no tape and no BNC on it .. i kept taking it down or up or what not, last time i didnt have any tape, been exposed on the beach side for ever .. still works ..!! I dont even use BNCs at home anymore ... save them for the clients ..

I have 13 cameras at home and there all differt brands, some box some bullet and some small board type cameras.

Rory, your "no connector" story reminds me of a job I did where the previous "professional" actually installed camera's with no connectors and the ones he did came apart when the camera case was opened.

and there is another story when I first started I often followed a recent install by a competetor and I asked if I could look. Another well known installer actually placed a 14" "box" monitor and the DVR on the floor under the owners desk where his feet went because there was no where else to put them. when i looked at it the dvr already (2 days old) had several buttons kicked off. i told the owner what to do and he got it all corrected but I was amazed at how tacky it can get out there, and how gullable some are.