ver2go

IP Camera Installation Tester

Is there such a tool for doing IP Cam installs? Basically a screen with Ethernet and PoE so you can plug into the camera and focus and adjust without having to plug in network some were or have the wiring in place already?

Just curious. Seems like a good product to build if one does not exist. Or at least a dongle that will have PoE / Ethernet that will DHCP to the cam to view on a small laptop.

Is there such a tool for doing IP Cam installs? Basically a screen with Ethernet and PoE so you can plug into the camera and focus and adjust without having to plug in network some were or have the wiring in place already?

Just curious. Seems like a good product to build if one does not exist. Or at least a dongle that will have PoE / Ethernet that will DHCP to the cam to view on a small laptop.

May be...

Router will be your (DHCP) +

(POE) DC Power Injector/Splitter +

Laptop

put all of them in small brief case and u done

There are devices that will allow you to set the view, angle and lens at the install point so you know in advance what you will be looking at on the back end. These devices have small camcorder-like lcd displays that work off the wires out of the camera. Good ones are not inexpensive--a reason why you'd want to use a pro installer unless you have $200+ in your project budget.

Good luck.

jl

99346_1.jpg

AXIS Installation Monitor

"Pocket PC user interface control

AXIS Installation Monitor automatically discovers Axis network video products on the network. The installer can view the live camera images by using a Pocket PC while adjusting the focus, viewing angle and direction, and even the field of view for pan/tilt cameras. The built-in focus indicator makes the installation quick and efficient."

Runs on a Pocket PC but you would still need to power the camera.

that bogus...who focus`s a IP camera with a 3 inch screen !

I have tried that program on a 800x500res HTC HD and its no good

just too small. [ok for aiming only]

What you need is a Laptop, POE injector and 12v gel cell .

-sometimes if you have access you can do it via WIFI to your lappy

my 2c

I use A Samsung Q1 tablet PC with a wrist strap, and a 3com # 3CNJ100 Switch, which is a single-gang sized wall mount four port switch with PoE pass-through on one port for the camera. Unfortunately, the switch is discontinued, and the replacement only works with the high power 802.11at standard, which isn't common yet.... you can still find a few if you Google around. I know it is a throwback to the stone age, but an analog output on more models would be really convenient, as not all of our installers are IP savvy, or equipped with all of the gear to setup network cameras yet.

either that ceiling is very low or that guy is 8' tall to access that camera without a ladder

and that just looks ugly on that drop ceiling, get a dome at least

He is standing on the arm rests of a rolling desk chair just like the rest of us installers use!!

LOL!

I did that once and darned near killed myself. The chair went one way and I went the other.

either that ceiling is very low or that guy is 8' tall to access that camera without a ladder

No, he's on stilts.

99395_1.jpg

And Axis cameras are infamous for their ugliness - the Yugo of CCTV!

One more reason I've switched almost entirely to domes... Aside from the other obvious advantages over bullets, aethetics are quite important to my spousal unit.

May be...

Laptop

That's what I do... although you can do one better and eliminate the PoE injector if you can find a wireless router with built-in PoE supply.

May be...

Laptop

That's what I do... although you can do one better and eliminate the PoE injector if you can find a wireless router with built-in PoE supply.

Soundy have ? for u

the way I understand u have your laptop with you when you are on the top of the ladder

right ?

or one person on the ladder and second just walking around and guide first ?

May be...

Laptop

Soundy have ? for u

the way I understand u have your laptop with you when you are on the top of the ladder

right ?

Depends on the site... my laptop is a 15" widescreen so I can sometimes leave it below on a counter or table. For lower heights I use a painter's stepladder with a tool shelf, so the laptop can sit on that. For slightly higher installs, I'll usually balance it (carefully!) on top of the stepladder.

Anything beyond that, we generally use a man-lift (we own a 20' scissor-lift), and I'll set it across a corner of the railing on a non-skid matting (I'm working on a clamp-on holding table).

For a while I was using an 11" Sony VAIO laptop that was a lot nicer for working at heights

And as I've mentioned elsewhere, my co-worker has an Archos 5, which has a built-in browser and WiFi, so he just uses that.

May be...

Laptop

Soundy have ? for u

right ?

Depends on the site... my laptop is a 15" widescreen so I can sometimes leave it below on a counter or table. For lower heights I use a painter's stepladder with a tool shelf, so the laptop can sit on that. For slightly higher installs, I'll usually balance it (carefully!) on top of the stepladder.

Anything beyond that, we generally use a man-lift (we own a 20' scissor-lift), and I'll set it across a corner of the railing on a non-skid matting (I'm working on a clamp-on holding table).

For a while I was using an 11" Sony VAIO laptop that was a lot nicer for working at heights

And as I've mentioned elsewhere, my co-worker has an Archos 5, which has a built-in browser and WiFi, so he just uses that.

well kinda was doing the same

now always 2 guys and 2 radio

few min done...next

Yeah, we've done the one-guy-watching, one-guy-focusing stunt too (except we just use our cel phones with Bluetooth headsets - much more convenient!). It works, but it's kinda a hassle... "Little more, little more, no stop! K, go back the other way, back, back, little more... okay, stop... now back JUUUUUUST a bit... okay, right there, lock it down... nope, nope, it moved, tweak it back a little, NO, other way, other way..."

LOL!

That describes CCTV perfectly!

I also had a flash back from my childhood when my dad would reorient the TV antenna!

Yeah, we've done the one-guy-watching, one-guy-focusing stunt too (except we just use our cel phones with Bluetooth headsets - much more convenient!). It works, but it's kinda a hassle... "Little more, little more, no stop! K, go back the other way, back, back, little more... okay, stop... now back JUUUUUUST a bit... okay, right there, lock it down... nope, nope, it moved, tweak it back a little, NO, other way, other way..."

That's how we aim and focus all fixed cameras.

LOL!

That describes CCTV perfectly!

I also had a flash back from my childhood when my dad would reorient the TV antenna!

Hah! I had a flashback to the last time I had to install curtains.

Up a bit... no... left... no... right there! Wait... you moved it...

*5 hours Later*

I'm not sure that color goes with the carpet... can we take them down?

Well, yes, its like that. But anyway it takes few minutes. Just call each other on mobile phone and focus lense Dont even need to buy radios