Gentelmen.

I had a potental ask me about wireless IP cameras. I looked around a bit at the supplier I use and cannot find anything like that. Can you guys shed some light on them for me?

He mentioned they worked with a wireless router to feed video through the system....

Jeff

Looking for small indoor cameras. I have found a few IP cameras since posting this on the net. I am used to toe old Mhz and ghs transmitters and recievers that are seperate. I do not know anything about the camears that can be run off of a router direct.

Thanks for any and all info

Kinda, I could find uses for the second one, what I would really prefer is something like a adapter that would take vid input from say a board camera then transmit that out to the server???

I noticed the old style transmitable stuff has come down in price

What your potential is talking about is basically an IP network camera with built-in WiFi support. It's not like a regular unidirectional system where the camera transmits video and there's a box at the other end that receives it and spits out video. It connects to a WiFi router like any other WiFi device (laptop, game console, printer), and the DVR or NVR communicates with it through that network connection. At that point, any other computer attached to the network is able to communicate with the camera as well.

scorpion's suggestion will work to adapt standard (existing?) analog cameras for wireless network connections.

Keep in mind that WiFi is somewhat limited in distance, especially indoors. 802.11b/g is 30m line-of-sight, and considerably less if there are walls and floors between the devices. Going to an .11n router will get you about twice the range, even if the devices are only .11b or g. Any more than that, and you may have to look at adding repeaters or high-gain antennas.

Well most of this is fairly positive,,, The adapter to transmit is pretty good size, makes concealment a problem.... I am going to have to continue learning on this,,, might be an outlet in some situations.

I had gotten away from wireless because of interfearance inside buildings and just went mostly wired years ago and then just didn't keep up with the tech..

Do these transmit any better than 1.2ghz?

Interference won't be a problem as such, at least not in the same way as you're used to, because the signal is error-corrected, streamed digital video. EMI might cause brief signal drops if it's REALLY bad, but it doesn't put noise in the picture like with analog.

As noted above, WiFi range is mostly affected by distance, which can be improved on with a better antenna and/or repeaters. Indoors, wall construction will be more of an issue than just distance - concrete or steel-stud walls will limit you moreso than woodframe, for example.

If size is an issue, you may want to consider an IP camera, rather than an IP adapter for a standard camera. That way, the functions of the camera and the transmitter are all in one (relatively small) package.

It also allows you to bypass one of analog cameras' main limitations: resolution. Analog video capture is generally limited to 740x480 or less, and using that adapter with an analog camera will impose that limitation. Because an IP camera doesn't go through that analog stage, resolutions of 1.3MP (1280x1024) and up are common.

Gentelmen.

I had a potental ask me about wireless IP cameras. I looked around a bit at the supplier I use and cannot find anything like that. Can you guys shed some light on them for me?

He mentioned they worked with a wireless router to feed video through the system....

Jeff

Axis have many wireless IP cameras, even megapixel.

http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/index.htm

See models with W at the end.

yep Axis is your best bet.

If you want to go further do it at the WAP end with an external directional antenna.

I wound not use 900/1200/2400/5800 Mhz Analog cameras as they are insecure >everyone in a 100 foot radius can watch !

And the interference potential is huge

It seems most WIFi links fail because people don't know what there doing !

Please Axis for Xmas can I have a SMA connector on all new cameras .....

Gentelmen.

Jeff

Axis have many wireless IP cameras, even megapixel.

See models with W at the end.

Just don't expect great frame rates over wireless. I now use my 207MW wired as it gives 10fps (at full res.) as opposed to wireless of 1fps wirelss (802.11G) if I recall correctly.

I also have a vivotek wireless and it's not much better even though it's a lower res. and dual antenna. So it's been wired up now too.