jclick

Lenel - Wireless between reader board and access controller

Does anyone have a solution for the following? What we have is a Lenel system with a 500 access board and a 1320 reader board. The 1320 will be installed remotely and will need to be a wireless connection. Supposedly the data link between the 1320 and the port on the 500 is RS485. We've tried using a VideoComm wireless transmitter (http://videotransmitters.com/) but it will not transmitt the data for some reason. We've spoke to Lenel and VideoComm tech support and haven't gotten anywhere. If we put a cable between the 500 and 1320 (on a test bench), it communicates fine so I know that the boards are good. We've tried different baud rates but still no connection. There are no other settings for the data (ie parity, stop bits, etc) according to VideoComm tech support. The distance between the 500 and 1320 once installed will be about a 1/4 mile. That rules out the Schlage wireless. Has anyone tried doing this or have another solution? Thanks!

There are several wireless reader extenders available from Cypress Computer Systems. You might consider putting the readers, and a cypress transmitter, remotely on a power supply, and hardwire the two Lenel products together at the receiving end. Instead of trying to link the two lenel boards, you just link the reader board with the reader. I have used some of Cypress stuff on a few manufacturers systems, with great success. Or, if you're hell bent on remoting the 1320 board, you might have to look into a 485 to LAN, THEN a wireless LAN setup. It's an extra step, but it might be an easier option. Setup the 485 to LAN on a test bench, then add the wireless to that. Hope those ideas help

Trango Systems on the web. I would have put thier link in the reply but they will not allow newbies like me to post them. I have used thier video setups with PTZ's and they actually work.

we went ahead and used the Cypress equipment. It worked really well.

Does the Trango equip work with 485 Comm for card readers? I've used it for video in the past.