sekular

Pelco 6800 + Wavereader, Direct Access

Hi

I have just taken on a new contract and they have quite an extensive cctv system that has been installed by a 3rd party security company.

From i can gather by looking at the setup they have 2x pelco 6800 and another pelco box. There are 5, 16x dvdr. Using wavereader i can connect to the dvdr via ip address. What i have figured out is that i can save the camera footage by using the diskmap feature in wave reader.

My question is:

What operating system does the pelco boxes run, how do you access the device directly, is that even possible ?

Say i wanted to manually grab all the 20d files and put them onto another server for backup, or even install an automated backup of the files. (how to do automated backup is not the question i am asking)

What i am asking is if it is possible to gain access to the hard drive directly?

Is it possible to gain access to the saved video files without using wavereader ?

Thank you for your time.

I do not believe the video files are accessable from anything other than wavereader, nor can you access the drives directly through any networking of the unit.

don't you think this sort of setup is quite unsecure though, all you need to do is dl wavereader and plug into the network. as the password is an application password only and not a network password.

is there a way to make a network password or secure this system better ?

Yes, you can go into the DVR setup and create a network password. You would then need to put this password in the address book entry for each DVR. If you go to the address book, and edit one of the entries, you should see a box for network password. That would be the password stored on the unit, and it would not allow a connection if the passwords did not match

could you give me a short explanation on how to access the DVR setup.

if you could send me down the right route i can do the research and work it out from there.

I am concerned about the company that installed our setup still has access to our system, is there anyway to check connection logs on the dvr setup?

thanks

Ok, you have to do this from the front of the DVR, it can't be done from the Wavereader software. And, you will need a monitor plugged into the main monitor output of that DVR. To get into setup, there is a button in the upper right corner of the DVR, that looks like three computers networked together. Press it and the password prompt will appear. Use the camera number buttons to enter the password (the default for a 16 channel unit is 3477), followed by the enter button (te button on the lower right, under the first button. If you get in, you'll see the "main" menu at the top left of the monitor screen. Press enter. and the rest of the menu will appear. Use the inside ring of the jog/shuttle dial to move up and down, use the enter key to go into a menu selection, use the "network" button to go back, use the inner ring to select a field, and use the outer ring to change most fields, some will let you use the number buttons, like the passwords. Anyway, the "Passwords" field should be at the bottom of the main menu. Go to it, press enter, you'll have several options, including network. Te rest should be easy, after you're done, press the network button to back out. And, make sure to set the same network password in the wavereader software