newmom

home surveillance system question

Hello - I came across this site on a Google search

I am a new mommy and am wanting to install a home surveillance system to monitor our nanny/babysitters. We currently have a covert wireless clock cam connected to a vcr that I'd like to replace.

Question: Is there a dvr card / software system that anyone would recommend?

I would like to purchase 2 more cameras (any suggestions?) - one with audio. It would only run for about 20 hours /week. I have a pentium4, 3GB, 800MHz HT.

How does installing a Geovision dvr card ($300) compare to something like the CCTVWholesaler's PC-Witness USB Plus ($550) ? Is there $250 difference in function, ease of use...???

Any input would be appreciated. (Sorry if this is too much of a novice question.)

The Geovision card would be better, but remember, you have to devote the computer entirely to being a DVR. You won't be able to run it for your other applications. If you can't devote the computer 100% then you might want to consider a simple standalone system. It won't have most of the features of the Geovision but it would be simple to operate and would be devoted completely to recording. There are some good examples of standalone DVRs and also covert cameras on these sites.

http://www.at-fairfax.com/CCTV.htm

http://www.supercircuits.com/store/home.asp

Thank you for responding - I really appreciate your advise. I will go with the Geovision card. Do you have a recommendation for any particular company/distributor to purchase from - (one with good software & tech support)?

When you say the computer has to be dedicated 100% to being a DVR, am I correct to assume that you mean for the 20 hr/wk that it functions as a dvr? Is there any reason for not using this same computer for all the other "regular" functions (email, games, photo/video...) during the time we are not using it as a dvr? Are there any issues about "wear" on the drive, or resource incompatibilities... ?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what you mean by 100%

-Susan

Thank you for responding - I really appreciate your advise. I will go with the Geovision card. Do you have a recommendation for any particular company/distributor to purchase from - (one with good software & tech support)?

When you say the computer has to be dedicated 100% to being a DVR, am I correct to assume that you mean for the 20 hr/wk that it functions as a dvr? Is there any reason for not using this same computer for all the other "regular" functions (email, games, photo/video...) during the time we are not using it as a dvr? Are there any issues about "wear" on the drive, or resource incompatibilities... ?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what you mean by 100%

-Susan

Hello

The problem is that when you rund the software, the computer devotes 100% to the dvr card, and even opening solitare would take around 5 minutes to open. your best bet is to get a cheap computer to run the DVR.

or go with a stand alone unit, expecially if you want audio

on the other hand, the problem with geo's is to find a person that sells them and that gives good tech support, most don't

DVR expert, when he reads this, he'll be able to tell you who to get it from, he's known to have good connections with geovision.

Hello - I came across this site on a Google search

I am a new mommy and am wanting to install a home surveillance system to monitor our nanny/babysitters. We currently have a covert wireless clock cam connected to a vcr that I'd like to replace.

Question: Is there a dvr card / software system that anyone would recommend?

I would like to purchase 2 more cameras (any suggestions?) - one with audio. It would only run for about 20 hours /week. I have a pentium4, 3GB, 800MHz HT.

How does installing a Geovision dvr card ($300) compare to something like the CCTVWholesaler's PC-Witness USB Plus ($550) ? Is there $250 difference in function, ease of use...???

Any input would be appreciated. (Sorry if this is too much of a novice question.)

if you keep the camera, you can buy something like a Kalatel VDR which is like a VCR but is digital so it is great quality, no tapes.

http://www.spytown.com/vdr-40.html

No PC connection though, but stable as it gets.

Add a ATV Mux, 4 channel or 8/9 channel, color or BW depends what you need, and its good to go, they come with IR Remote controls.

If you cant devote your PC 100% to the card then you need something like this, or even a stand alone all in one DVR, but they cost more than this and give you PC Connection to view playback.

Ease of use, a stand alone machine, VDR & a mux, or all in one DVR/mux, will be simpler to use and more stable, but cost mroe than $300!

As for cameras, do you still want hidden? If so check these out:

http://www.spytown.com/search--by-part-number-speco-technologies--covert-cameras.html

Question, do you want color or B/W? Do you need to view playback on your PC?

And like herminsh said, support is a must, any well known brand like Kalatel you can get support for anywhere in the US very easy, and even by email direct to their enginneers. If on of these Asian DVR cards go bad, you may be on your own, unless you mail them back to the manufacturer direct or a rep in the US, if you can find one.

Rory

The more I read/learn - the more confused I'm becoming. DVR cards, DVR stand-alones, and now VDRs!!! Is it true that VDRs have pop-up ads that you can't get rid of and less "flexible" ?

Clarification: During the hours of baby/nanny surveillance, this computer would not be used for anything else. So, this computer could be devoted 100% for those 20 hours /week. Then, the rest of the times, I would like to use it for "regular" computer functions.

Rory, The wireless camera I have now is color, but under low light, it converts to balck and white. I thought I would purchase the next two cameras as black and white b/c I read it has better resolution than color.

And there is no reason that I have to view playback on a PC.

I do want motion detection and several faster view speeds to "screen" through the day quickly. Do you still think a VDR is better for my needs?

Enirely discombobulated, Susan

A VDR is just another name for a single channel DVR. It probably wouldn't suit your purpose. You really shouldn't use a computer for dual purpose because video recording takes up huge amounts of hard drive space and it gets messed up when you start trying to use it for other things. I would suggest something much simpler and less expensive for what you seem to want.

http://www.supercircuits.com/STORE/prodinfo.asp?number=DVQ1-120&variation=&aitem=14&mitem=26

This will record 4 cameras, b/w or color. You won't need a computer. It won't network but you said that wasn't a problem. You will need a color monitor or a color TV with video input to watch it. It is very easy to use and has a built in scheduler to turn it off during certain periods of the day when you wouldn't need to record. It can also record audio.

For your other cameras, if you have enough light I suggest color. Color cameras these days have plenty of resolution so you will get as good a picture as b/w. B/W main advantage is low light ability. Price isn't much different.

Alan do you know who makes that one listed in thie link you posted? Is it Appro? My distributor in florida said they have a 4 camera Appro DVR for abou that same price, and same fucntions, but havent been able to get any specs on it yet.

Thanks

A VDR is just another name for a single channel DVR. It probably wouldn't suit your purpose. You really shouldn't use a computer for dual purpose because video recording takes up huge amounts of hard drive space and it gets messed up when you start trying to use it for other things. I would suggest something much simpler and less expensive for what you seem to want.

http://www.supercircuits.com/STORE/prodinfo.asp?number=DVQ1-120&variation=&aitem=14&mitem=26

This will record 4 cameras, b/w or color. You won't need a computer. It won't network but you said that wasn't a problem. You will need a color monitor or a color TV with video input to watch it. It is very easy to use and has a built in scheduler to turn it off during certain periods of the day when you wouldn't need to record. It can also record audio.

For your other cameras, if you have enough light I suggest color. Color cameras these days have plenty of resolution so you will get as good a picture as b/w. B/W main advantage is low light ability. Price isn't much different.

Thank you for the very helpful information! I'm so glad I stumbled across this CCTV guru / thinktank site

60 fps, 120 GB Harddrive, 4 camera input w/audio... for $570 sounds hard to beat

One thing I'm wondering about is that this doesn't seem to have motion detection recording options for each camera. It says it records up to 80 "alarm events" - I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds different from motion detection. I was hoping to be able to have the cameras record only when there is activity - so that there would be less to review on 3 cameras. Do you know what alarm event recording involves?

Even if this doesn't have motion detection recording, I'm wondering if this may still be my best option...

Here's one other thought: I could add a second hard drive (80+GB) for under $200 to a $300 Geovision card... Good or Bad idea

Persistently inquisitive, Susan

Sorry, I think I got a little carried away with these emoticons...

No, it won't have motion detection. Alarm event would be a hardwired alarm input from a PIR or some type of switch. For motion detection you would use the DVR card. Computers are dirt cheap these days. Just get a local computer shop to build something for you to the GeoVision specifications. A friend of mine just got a full computer with 14" LCD flat screen monitor for $600 and that was with a built in CD player and DVD player/recorder. You are just better off buying a dedicated computer for your DVR card. You could probably have the shop install and setup the card for you for a small fee. Or you can get a standalone with motion detection built in and two channel audio recording. Here is an example below. Look at the VT-DVR04 at the bottom of the page.

http://www.at-fairfax.com/DVR/VitekDvr.htm#vtdvr04

Just to confuse you a little more...

You can get an "all software" DVR that will run in the background on your PC, and still let you use your PC for other purposes--Solitaire, etc.

Price is a little higher than the other options you have here, but if you factor in the cost of a new PC, maybe its not so bad.

It will do motion detection with any camera (motion detection is video-based) also let you view your cameras remotely on PocketPC or cell phone (i.e. "nannycam") should you choose to do that in the future. Click on the link in my signature for more info.

Unless you buy USB grabbers a DVr system will try to use all the resouces it has... Geoviison says you can share the DVr with home use as long as it is not at the same time.. I strongly disagree, like AVCONSULTING said, get a cheap puter and slam a Geo card in it... I hate it he is ALWAYS right!!!

No wonder he is retired!