7kMI

Wooju Time Lapse VCR not responding

I'm running out of people to contact regarding this machine. The e-mail address on the corporate site bounces back and I've gotten no response filling in the form they provide on the site for product info.

My family and I recently acquired an existing retail store, and inherited an at-the-time-functioning CCTV system.

The system has 8 cameras, multiplexer, Wooju 24H or 960H Time Lapse Recorder (not sure on the model yet) & a couple of monitors.

Up until recently, we hadn't had time to get familiar with this setup. I presumed it was set to record until the tape ended, and then start over, so it was left this way until we had time to figure it out. Every day I noticed it was recording, so I felt it was ok for the short-term.

A few days ago I had to unplug the setup to relocate some surge protection bars, but after I turned things back on, the "PANIC" & "REM LOCK" LEDs were lit up on the VCR.....After referring to the not so informative user's guide, I tried everything it mentioned and then some to release these modes without luck. I've tried all switches/buttons & combinations thereof I can think of, but nothing works. Even the reset button does nothing, other than cause a light clicking sound inside the unit, but that's it.

There are no wires connected to the terminals on the back of the unit (alarm in/out, warning, series, com), only BNC style plugs for video and audio.

So, basically, it was recording and counting away the minutes before I unplugged it. Now the display is blank, the panic and rem lock lights are on, and it is completely unresponsive. There is a tape in the unit, which will not eject.

I'm beginning to think that somehow it was damaged when plugging it back in, can anyone give me any insight?

Thanks for any help.

Derek

Herm,

You are right - they are out of business....

Derek, you can get another cost effective VCR that can give you 960 hours recording capability or even more. There are many out there, but we have a great success with Mitsubishi VCR. It is HS-1280U that gives you up to 1,280 hours of recording... Here is a URL that can give you all the details for this product:

http://www.securitysupplyhouse.com/miretivcr.html

Levon

If I were you, I'd keep the mux and buy a single-channel (or more) DVR. For not much more $$$, you get a much a better, more reliable, and low-maintenance recording solution. Been there with the VCR and will never go back.

Mitsubishi I have used, good unit. If you are interested in a DVR, then look at a single channel like the Kalatel VDR (no LAN) or the DSR-1000. Depends how many cameras you have, might be worth just upgrading to a simple 4 channel DVR if you only have 4 cameras. All in one DVRs are much easier to use than a mux with a single channel. I must have 3 Muxes with Single Channels still in the field ... prefer the all in ones ..

Rory

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.

We currently have 2 retail stores, both of them with surveillance systems that aren't working properly (obviously the one spoken of here is completely down).

If possible, I'd really just like to get things working again for now. I'm not too impressed with the whole setup, so at some point I'd like to pitch the VCR and multiplexer for a PC-Based DVR, even if it means I need new cameras. The plan is to replace the CCTV system at our other store first, as I was planning to do that before the lastest store came into the picture.

I've briefly skimmed over the setups being sold on ebay a couple of times. There are some pretty nice systems being offered for about $2-3k, and now I know where to turn for advice when I'm in the market. I don't necessarily plan to purchase from and ebay seller, but it's a good place to get some ideas. Most of the systems include a pretty decent PC w/capture card, several color cameras & full-featured DVR software package.

The PC-based units interest me more than the stand alone units, and certainly more than anything tape-based. I like the ability to control it w/a computer. We also have broadband at our stores, so I'd like to be able to log in and keep tabs on the cameras remotely on occasion.

So, does anyone have hope for my wooju? Think a local tv repair shop could help?

It looks like they're still around, but maybe they don't sell in the US now. Not that I'd want anything from them other than tech help.

http://www.woojucom.com/eng/wooju/index.htm.

Thanks again for any advice.

Looks like they dropped the VCR out of the line. Most likely on your VCR in order to get out of the lockup situation you need to press a combination of buttons at the same time, or find a small reset button that has to be accessed with a paper clip. Look carefully on the front and back of the unit for any small hole about the size of a paper clip. There should be mention of a master reset in the manual so you might want to look through the manual once more to see if there is any mention of a key sequence or reset switch. Failing that, new time lapse VCRs are so low cost now that you could easily buy one for the interim until you upgrade to a DVR.

7kMI,

You don't need new cameras to use a DVR. The cheapest option is to just drop a single channel DVR in place of the old VCR and you're in business. You can then expand at your own pace after that. However, before running out and buying a single-channel DVR, I'd encourage you to budget and research a DVR with 8 or more input channels. There's too many details to go into here; but trust me, you'll be happy with such a setup in the long run.

originally quoted by AVCONSULTING:-

Look carefully on the front and back of the unit for any small hole about the size of a paper clip.

I agree the master reset should clear down the 'LOCK' function, but I would certainly think twice about sticking a metal paperclip into any hole, unless I knew for sure it was the right one

It may clear the problem, or it may just blow 7kMI's socks off!

Best to stick to using something insulated

Thanks for all of the replies.

The reset button is on the front panel (under a flip-down door with the rest of the buttons). I've tried it several times, without any change. The button is plastic, set back in the panel ~1/8" & requires a pen to push it.

It is referred to in the user's guide as a way to reset the VCR...but when pressed, regardless of whether it is briefly or for 5 seconds, it makes the two LEDs (panic & rem lock) dim slightly and there is a light clicking sound inside...however that's it.

Rory:

You mention you have a couple of units similar to the one in the link not being used?? Any chance these are functional and possibly available at a reasonable price?

Like I mentioned, I'd ultimatly like to replace the entire setup at both of our stores with PC-based DVRs. I'd really like to have 6-8 color cameras, some with pan/zoom and audio, and have them available over the web. Quite nice, indeed.

The multiplexor at the 1st store is built into the monitor, not-so-good, and the one at our 2nd one is old and cheap. The cameras at the latter are all just crimped to the wall-plug transformers, and a couple are pretty fuzzy from bad AV connections...

All of the responses have really been great, I'm definitely printing out this thread for future reference.

Thanks again.

Considering how low the price has gone on DVRs it might just be the time to get one. You can use it with your existing cameras since the DVR uses the same type of inputs as does your multiplexer. Go over to the digital forum and read up on the numerous low cost DVRs that we have been discussing to see what is available. Buying a VCR now even under $200 would be a waste of your money. Perhaps the VCR failure is a sign from the electronic gnomes that it is time for you to upgrade.

I suggest you open your local Michigan yellow pages, and look under security section. Call two or three local delaers and heve them give you recommendations. They can also provide you with local service in the future.

These VCRs were sold by (distributed in the US) a company out of California. Their name is ABL and their customer service number is 714-562-0777. Thei equipment is also retailed by Coastal Video Security, Inc. out of FL. Hope this help.

I would replace the vcr with either a dvr or go pc based.

Tape based recording is so much hassle compared to the newer methods.

I would keep the old timelapse though, hide the new machine away, but put the old timelapse on display somewhere (with some fake cables going into it) so if you are robbed, the thieves will take the timelapse vcr thinking the have the evidence......

I do that exact thing most of the time! I encourage my customers to spend around $10 to buy an old POS VCR at the Goodwill or the local Flea Market, where I can find dozens of them. I then take my label-maker and write a label that reads " CCTV VIDEO CAPTURE" on the front of it. Even got one in my own living room in the Entertainment center. Local burglars are mostly, but not always, teenagers, who wouldn't even know a DVR if one fell on them during a burglary. By the way, I do have an old Sanyo Time Lapse VCR that a customer left for me. It was working when I pulled it out a couple of years ago. I will let anyone have it, for the cost of shipping it to you, but you must understand there are no guarantees, as you are only going to pay for the shipping to you!. With the price of Avermedia DVR's, I can't see putting this junkie thing out there. If anyone wants it, just PM me, and we can work out what it would cost for me to send it USPS Priority Mail, or UPS.