Sorry gang I was MIA for the last month or so 1 off on sicktime with wife 1 off sicktime with bad leg 1 big IP job and 2 Thunderstorms. No rest for me. The big job was 50 Axis IP cameras 1 20 TB server onSSI NETDVMS software 3 work stations with 52 inch monitors and 1 backup 6 TB server. This was our 1st IP system and am very happy the system. We built the cat 6 backbone built the 2 servers inhouse the 3 work stations inhouse 2 24 POE 1 gig switches 1 6 port 1 gig router 2 videoalarm wireless receivers 9 videoalarm wireless transmitters. Now that everybody is back and I have help and my free time is picking up.

I was wondering about that when I saw your post on another thread. It seams like Jan since I last saw you!

50 cams? I wish I was your dealer! Wow! I project like that a month, and you could kick back, and relax!

Glad to see you back!

Take care!

welcome home........

IP systems are fun to install eh?

Your 20TB Server is running RAID6? 50 IP cams? Megapixel or standard? 50 IP cams on 20TB is on the small side for 30 days?

I'm doing a 16 megapixel system with Scorp in June.....we teamed up and the overall system is "hot". (16) Acti ACM-7411's, (2) Video Insight IP servers, and a 3TB RAID5. the (2) POE switchs are Netgear with a Gig network connection...ports are 10/100. I already have these same systems running in multiple Gov. locations and they are all very stable and crisp. The storage is small but they wanted 3TB......

funny thing about Gov. jobs is they write a rfp with little or no knowledge of the complete system and then when I submit a bid I have to stick to that rfp as written OR I will put my bid on a seperate level than requested. Once I win the bid I then make some changes only if I can get the client to rethink my change. Most times they listen and authorize the change............sometimes the buidget won't allow any change.

I also ALWAYS upgrade the equipment when I can at NO expense to my clients. ie. I'll spec out what they want at and then quote it. The bid selection usually takes 2 - 3 months follwoed by another month or 2 of scheduling things. When I order the "parts" for the system I can usually get a better CPU, camera, or ect. for the same money I quoted so I just upgrade as necessary.

My only issues with IP Megapixel systems is the amount of storage required.......it's very expensive. So, the camera installers have to have a very GOOD background in camera placement to reduce false motion possibilities and the software has to handle motion issues via multiple software tools like masking, blocking, sensitivity, ect. Otherwise you'll end up with 30Gig of motion per day from a single camera which is full of windy, rainy, vehicle lights, and all other sorts of false motion.

Motion software is a wide open area where the developers need to focus on improving motion recognition/orientation of objects. This will reduce storage and improve all.

Another area that needs to be improved is in the archiving of the original video. Old techniques work great but now that megapixel cameras are here I can't find a archive program that will go beyone copying the original video.....I need it to take a megapixel video file and reduce it by frames...not just copy it.

Other than.I'm a happy man.

These are standard IP's and the target was 30 to 45 days have 12 outside cameras with 5 being PTZ's and we are getting more than our max target storage. Like I said this job was alot of fun to work on and it has some growth in it also.

Man I use video-insight and run mainly acti 7411's with 2 tb's of storage and I can get 5 months of storage. Only 9 cameras but still.

This is a place that has 24 hours a day 7 days a week movement that has to be recorded 15 to 20 frames per second hi rez on all 50 cameras no exceptions. We have some places that have 500 gig harddrives with 16 cameras and store video for 6 months but it is not mission critical. Plus we have been visited by ONSSI and AXIS company reps that were very impressed with the quality of video and the number of stored days with this system and We have no problems. AND I BUILD MY OWN DVR's (PC BASED) , NVR SERVERS AND DESKTOPS FOR CONTROL ROOMS. Each system I build is custom built for the site it is to be used not some out of the box designed system for all customers and the cameras for each site are chosen for the needs of the customer (day/night, hirez, dome, ptz).