kt00

Small city surveillance - with Motorola Canopy

Hello,

we installed a lot of cctv systems but never used wireless before. I mean i know 802.11 but this is a different story. (:

I have found motorola canopy (sorry but cant link yet) and it seems a fairly good solution, 'only' problem is found the correct devices we should use for this project. (I attached a small draft of the system.)

I should take access points per camera (which ones?), a cluster management module (how many etc?) if im right, but what other devices are necessary for this distances? Whats if there is no direct line of sight? As You see the most far distance is about 3.5km (2.18 miles). It should be a 5Ghz system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated![/b]

Edited by Guest

I think Canopy would be a great choice. I've designed a few CCTV systems using it.

If you want a reliable, robust network that has near zero downtime then I would use Canopy. If you can tolerate some outages and are willing to troubleshoot issues, then use lower cost 802.11 gear.

What kind of non-line of sight do you have? Trees, buildings, hills?

Canopy 5.4GHz OFDM would be the best option for PTMP NLOS and nLOS systems, depending on your required throughput and the environmental issues you are battling.. The most recent CCTV system I planned uses 5.4GHz OFDM stuff, but the furthest SM is around a few hundred yards.

For a multi-access point canopy system to work properly you will need to sync them together, or use a CMM. No ifs ands or buts about it. No sync, and you're going to be battling yourself due to self interference.

overkill for four cameras, but being MP you will need a strong G signal if you use WIFI.

I would use 5 WAPS, 4x directional antennas and 1x high gain omni in the middle. [Cisco gear maybe]

you'll need a wireless guru to set this up to work as it

sounds like the sales guys are over selling to you big time.

have they tried to sell you -your own satellite yet ?

I would recommend against using Motorola Canopy for IP CCTV. We installed a Canopy system to send IP from a remote location to a guard shack and the signal kept dropping; causing the encoders and decoders to lock up and requiring frequent rebooting. This was with PelcoNet servers. Also, unless they changed it recently, the Canopy system is only capable of 14Mb/sec total.

They also interfered with wireless communications systems. The problems became so acute that we finally disabled the system and are recording the cameras locally.