Squiffy

ExView HAD CCD sensor query

I've been playing around with some Lilin PIH-7030 cameras with ExView HAD sensors (old stock but previously unused). Visible light sensitivity seems good, but the IR sensitivity is really poor. A/B comparisons with cheap CMOS cameras and much older CCD cameras is quite striking.

It's possible I suppose that they're from a bad batch or perhaps they're fitted with a IR cut filter on the sensor (presumably in error). Looking at the sensor there's a cyan hue to the glass cover/filter very similar to this:

www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/resources/n70-filter.jpg

I'll appreciate any comments regarding this.

It seems like that camera doesn't have an mechanical ICR (Infrared Cut-Filter Removable) device therefore not making the camera sensitive the IR Lighting. The specs on that camera stated that the ICR is optional so you probably have the version without the ICR.

The manual supplied doesn't mention any removable filter, or that it's optional. I'll take one apart tomorrow and investigate further.

Sure enough that was the problem, removing the filter requires removing a couple of boards inside but it's simple enough to do, results are now as expected.