tam

Camera picture unstable

Hi - I have 2 CCTV cameras both connected to a multiplex recorder which in turn feeds a monitor. Both have been working perfectly but suddenly the picture from one of the cameras has become unstable i.e. it appears to require some form of horizontal adjustment as it keeps jumping. The camera is a Panasonic WV-BP344 and the multiplexer is Dedicated Micros. Can you advise what I can do to steady the picture as I am at a loss as to why this only affects one camera. As far as I can tell there is no horizontal hold adjustment on any of the equipment

Thanks

TAM

Does it still jump if you move that camera to a different input?

It could be some sort of electrical interference - does the wiring run near any sort of lighting or something with a motor (fridge, fan, etc.)? Does the jumping happen all the time, or just intermittently?

It's most likely the camera is failing and will need to be replaced.

The distorted picture happens all the time and this particular camera is on an outside wall well away from any electrical interference. It could be the camera is on its way out but the picture, although jumping around, still appears to be sharp. It just looks though it needs some form of horizontal adjustment to make the picture steady

TAM

Hmm, I would tend to suspect the camera anyway... quick way to test is to swap the two of them and see if the problem moves with it.

Hi - when you say it may be the power supply would this have an affect on the picture quality? A picture is comimg through albeit distorted. The same power outlet is being used for both cameras and the other is working perfectly. Could you expand on this possibility of it being the power supply - thanks

TAM

Hi - when you say it may be the power supply would this have an affect on the picture quality? A picture is comimg through albeit distorted. The same power outlet is being used for both cameras and the other is working perfectly. Could you expand on this possibility of it being the power supply - thanks

TAM

It's unlikely, but possible, if the power supply is marginal and one camera (through manufacturing defect or other cause) is more sensitive than the other to power fluctuations or lower power.

I have just tested the current on both cameras - the one that is working ok is drawing 11.85A the dodgy one 11.67A. Can I assume from this that the power supply is not the problem? - TAM