jason0595

CCTV dosn't work after dusk

That is my first post so hello to everyone.

I am quite new in CCTV and I done quite big installation on building site. There are nine cams with infrared housing.

Housing LILIN Infrared Illuminator Housing 80m PRH-5480 according to spec taking 2A

Body cam according to spec taking 0.20A

Lens 3mm - 8mm IR Corrective Vari Focal Auto Iris Lens

We are using Muxlab Power Thru Balun to run power and signal to cams and housings over CAT5 cable.

All that is powered by two PSU MCS6020B 20A

The problem is every thing is working well till dusk come right after that, I assumed camera want to switch to night mode. Some of the cams just losing signal and others getting horizontal straps for a while then losing signal completely.

All I was thinking they don’t have enough power and we where using 10A PSU but now when we switch to 20A there is still the same problem.

Now I am not sure that is electric problem or problem is with cameras setups.

All installation is running on 24V AC.

Each camera has separate CAT5 cable to run power and signal directly to it.

The longest cable has 320m from PSU to housing.

If anyone known how to solve this I will be the most grateful.

If there is any other information what I can provide please just ask.

Sounds like it is a power problem to me, the cables will introduce a voltage drop, the more current is used (such as when the IR lamp switches on at night) the more the voltage will drop.

Measure the voltage at the camera at night when the problem occurs....

Yes I think also that you have a power probelem.

Following the normal specs on cat 5 there is a voltage drop of 2,8 volts at the end of the cable (320 meter or 1050 feet). In the specs must been given how many amps the camera use when IR is on and how many it use when IR is on.

When you put 0.2 amps/24volts in the wire and you meassure it you shall see that the voltage at the end is arround 21 volts.

When the IR gets on, the amps demand is going up and the voltage drop is getting bigger and the system gets faillures.

greetings and succes

george van de Nadort

According to my opinion, you might be getting a voltage drop. Put a multimeter on the power cable at the camera end and see what the voltage is. Also maybe try supplying the power locally to see if it fixes the problem.

So I am having a similar problem. I have several cameras hooked up to a 9ch power supply. And the cameras tend to not display mostly at night, while the IR remain on, and then start displaying again a signal in morning.

The connection I checked and confirmed they are all ok.

The only thing I can think of is the power supply I am using is 110v and I am using a proper transformer to convert it to 220v (Europe). May this be am issue, or there can be something else which is causing an issue?