jhonovich

Should You use PTZ Cameras?

I recently wrote a report examining the use of PTZ cameras.

http://ipvideomarket.info/report/should_you_use_ptz_cameras_surveillance

Summary of Advantages:

- Monitor Large Areas

- Tours/Patterns

- Respond to Incident

- Low cost per area covered

Summary of Disadvantages:

- Only record where they are looking

- Service issues

- High storage costs

- Mispositioning of PTZs

- Works poorly over IP networks

- High per camera cost

I'd be interested in other's experiences using PTZs.

In a way I would have to agree with you. I purchased a $600 PTZ camera for my backyard with the thought that I could use it to patrol the entire area and have a one stop solution instead of get two or three cameras. In the end I have it zoomed in to the rear entry door that is the only access point into the house from the backyard. I could have just gotten a decent $300 camera with a decent zoom to accomplish the same thing. It also lacks the night time capabilities of some of the lesser expensive fixed cameras

I did have it patrolling the yard but stopped it from doing that because in order to get decent footage I had to slow the pan/tilt down and found that someone could pass through one side of the yard while it was viewing the other. I also worried that constant panning, tilting, and refocusing would shorten the lifespan of the camera. I will know better next time

Sorry to hear that!

Your explanation is a perfect example of the challenges in using PTZs.

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully your comment will save someone else from doing that

I've been robed. Some one drove a car or truck into garage door and stole my stuff. Been learning about CCTV cameras and think PTZ Pan Tilt Zoom might be the best for what I want to do? Like the idea of the thief thinking that camera is looking in all directions.

Garage faces a alley. Want camera to watch alley in both directions and some vacant houses across the street. Will mount camera to a aluminum or steel square pole high up where hopefully no one will try to steal it.

What should I look for in a PTZ camera?

Also will have security system. Bought Teluar Telguard TG-9

A PTZ camera would not be your best choice for that application.

Remember, PTZ's only point in one direction at a time. They can not "follow" a person or vehicle on their own, requiring an operator to control their aim and zoom. They will not see what's going on if they are not pointed in the appropriate direction. You would be better off with two or three fixed cameras.

A PTZ camera would not be your best choice for that application.

Remember, PTZ's only point in one direction at a time. They can not "follow" a person or vehicle on their own, requiring an operator to control their aim and zoom. They will not see what's going on if they are not pointed in the appropriate direction. You would be better off with two or three fixed cameras.

Sure they can (for $1000) There called autotracking PTZ's http://www.skywaysecurity.com/auto-tracking-ptz-camera-video.cfm

Sure they can (for $1000) There called autotracking PTZ's http://www.skywaysecurity.com/auto-tracking-ptz-camera-video.cfm

They work real well too " title="Applause" />

Excuse me while I take some Dramamine before I watch the second demo.

That's the thing, autotracking is neat and can be useful for some situations, but ultimately, it can't really tell which of several moving objects is the priority. What happens if the cam locks onto a car driving through (like in the first demo), and meantime some ninja-thief slips past to do his dirty work? A live operator will know to track the suspicious-looking person; the auto-cam will only work as good as its programming. Without some really good analytics and extensive configuration, it WILL miss things.

A better idea in this sort of instance is either multiple fixed cameras to watch the areas of concern, or one or two wide-angle megapixel cams to cover a larger area but still allow you to zoom in with good detail - what's known as "virtual PTZ".

A better idea in this sort of instance is either multiple fixed cameras to watch the areas of concern, or one or two wide-angle megapixel cams to cover a larger area but still allow you to zoom in with good detail - what's known as "virtual PTZ".

What about something cool like this http://www.arecontvision.com/index.php?section=product&subsection=product_details&product_id=25