protecvideo

PTZ Controls Keep Dying???... But the camera video is fine.

I have two PTZ's that keep losing their control (Rx Tx) settings permanently. The camera pictures are fine I just loose all controls. These cameras were working for about 6 months and it just stopped working. I removed the cameras and plugged them in locally to the DVR but still no movement. I plugged a new PTZ in to the DVR and no movement. I sent them back and they replaced them with new ones but could not explain what the problem was. So I found out that the DVR as well as the control functions on the PTZ were broken.

I got two new PTZ’s and a new recorder and installed them and 2 months later it has happened again. The owner of the building told me that the camera was resetting itself and was turning off and on so I think one of the outlets the camera is plugged into is bad. Could a surge from the power of the camera kill the PTZ controls? I think in this setup it could.

THE SETUP: I have one Cat5 running about 500ft. I split it off and used two twisted pair for the first PTZ (one pair for controls and the other pair I put a video balun for video). Then on the same Cat5 wire I used the other two pair the same way for the further camera. This is the camera I think has the bad power going to it. Do you think throwing the cameras on some UPS’s will work or should I try that along with something else? The vendor was telling me I might want to ground the PTZ controls?

I just want to make sure I don’t go through this again. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I don't know about losing control, but I did have a PTZ continually resetting itself once... it was at the end of about 200' of 18/2 power, and didn't become a problem until I replaced a failing Capture MiniTrax dome with a larger Pelco Spectra III. As it turned out, the long run was dropping just enough voltage that the MiniTrax (with lower current demands) didn't have a problem, but within seconds of the Spectra completed its boot-up cycle and startits its programmed tour, the higher draw would cause the voltage to drop just enough to cause a reboot. The solution there was to move the power supply MUCH closer to the camera...

So, my first thought would be to monitor the voltage *at the camera*, and *with the camera operating*. Depending on how far it is from the power now, I suspect you'll see significant variation as you move the camera around.

I have the power about 15ft from the PTZ on 18-2. You know how it goes, everything works fine and I have the right voltage when I'm there but when I'm gone it acts up sporaticly. I should camp out until the camera resets.

Be sure to bring plenty of food and a soft pillow

I've often wanted a "logging" multimeter that could keep a running tab on voltage (or whatever else it measures)... plug it into my laptop afterward, download the log, show it on a chart.... mmmmm, technology.