jonb300

DVR maintenance

good day to all.

is there a specific maintenance chart to follow in maintaining a stand alone dvr?

TIA

good day to all.

is there a specific maintenance chart to follow in maintaining a stand alone dvr?

TIA

Unless the manufacturer provides something, I don't think there's any "standard". About all you can do with most of them is blow the dust out regularly - the schedule will depend mostly on the environment.

Hi,

Greetings.

I usually consider how PC supplier does the PM at an Internet cafe shop , thats what i think

I will also wait for your opinion guys,

best regards,

NVR factory

Well, what I've been doing, for our sites that we're actually contracted to do PM on, is blowing the dust out, checking the cables are all connected solidly, then run manufacturers' HDD diagnostics as well as MEMTEST86+ to check for potential problems. At least, that what I did up until their corporate people decided no more PM was to be done on the DVRs until we had an "official" procedure from the DVR manufacturer... that was a year and a half ago, still no procedure forthcoming, so the only sites that get any PM to their video systems are the four or five that still have VCRs.

If security "is of the essence" then I would change the hard drive (drives) every so many years, and I would also change the power supply every so many years. Keeping the old ones for troubleshooting, or for back up when you have failures.

Here are the maintenance guidelines from the Sanyo DSR-M series - your mileage may vary:

"The hard disk and cooling fan are consumables. Under use in an ambient temperature of 25°C, the hard disk should generally be replaced after 2 years and the cooling fan after 3 years."

every couple years just sell the client a new DVR!!!

^^ What he said ^^

Best thing to do in my opinion tho is really just make sure the customer checks on the dvr 1-2 times a month. Just reboot it and make sure the playback footage is there and it's recording, really shouldn't be much more you'll have to do.

That's my $0.02 tho.

Here are the maintenance guidelines from the Sanyo DSR-M series - your mileage may vary:

"The hard disk and cooling fan are consumables. Under use in an ambient temperature of 25°C, the hard disk should generally be replaced after 2 years and the cooling fan after 3 years."

Fans, I can see this...drives, not so much.

Problem is, if a drive crashes, you lose your data... if you swap a drive, well... you still have the data, but functionally, you're in the same place (it's not readily available), unless you take the time to clone the old drive to the new one.

I don't know that swapping a drive just for the sake of swapping it is that "effective" a plan.

Why bother with cloning the old disk? Leave the old one with customer... Regular disk replacement is not so needed because of some sudden crashes, more because bad sector can show on it during it's life span... and you live happily thinking that everything is just fine with hard drive, but when you need the record-well, frozen playback image won't be a very happy discovery for your customer...

I don't know that swapping a drive just for the sake of swapping it is that "effective" a plan.

But it is more effective than a crashed drive with unretrievable data!