upmm019

Neighbor Problems - Need Advice.....

Considering my issue, should I install a security system  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Considering my issue, should I install a security system

• Yes
    • No

I have neighbor problems and have been thinking about installing a security system.

I've lived in my current home for about three years now. My neighbor who adjoins my home is in his 70's but very able-bodied. We did not know about him prior to purchasing our home.

Long story short, I think this neighbor is harassing my youngest child who is 12.

He is a compulsive starrer, regardless if he is on his property or out on the public street or at a neighbors. He does this to every person in my family including me. At times he will make hand gestures, even to my wife. At times he will peer/peak through his garage door or blinds at me or my family members.

I've had several words with him, mostly prompted by him and have shared that I don't care to be a "neighbor" to him even though we live next to each other. I've asked him to keep to his own business.

He has a prior criminal record that involved a individual under 13, need I say more....

Someone suggested taking photos of him when he is in the act but I don't want that turned around where he is taking photos of us, not that he has not already unknown to us.

We live in a rural area so we are not quick about involving the police in the matter. Quite frankly, I'm not sure he is breaking any laws....

That said, considering this is a forum of people taking video of other people and such... what do others suggest?

Should I install a system so I have some records of what is going on?

I've tried the ignoring the neighbor thing but this has gone on for well over a year and seems to be getting worse.

Should the consensus suggest a system... what can I get that would not break the bank and not be so obvious that I'm specifically targeting him?

You would need to check the legislation pertaining to your place of residence - here you can only view the boundary of your own property.

I would suggest tallking to your local law enforcement representative and check what you are allowed to do...in that way even if you make a mistake you can document that you seeked advice.

I live in Minnesota in the US and not sure what the rules are for Video Surveillance.

I certainly would only have cameras on my house covering my property but since our homes are close it would also capture some of the surrounding property as well.

Long story short, I think this neighbor is harassing my youngest child who is 12.

He has a prior criminal record that involved a individual under 13, need I say more....

We live in a rural area so we are not quick about involving the police in the matter. Quite frankly, I'm not sure he is breaking any laws....

If he has a prior record of this sort, chances are good that there are legal conditions in existence disallowing him from contact with children or possibly even limiting his proximity to them. If so, his actions may very well be breaking those conditions.

Best way to know for sure is to contact your local law enforcement. If he does have such conditions imposed, they'll know (or should).

I'm doubtful there is anything in place.

We wouldn't have know about his prior had we not mentioned it to some of our older friends.

When we mentioned his name because of all of the staring stuff they just commented back, with a big "Oh... he is your neighbor"

Actually he was convicted of 5th Degree Sexual Contact back in 1993, when he was 55 yrs old. Seems he got 30 days jail time and 2years probation and a fine.

We've heard there were more instances but nothing shows on the court system records.

I guess you just don't wake up when your 55 and decide to steal a childs innocence do you? probably been wacked in the head for many years...

We are at the point where we think we might need to sell our home and move... but like other neighbor complaints I've read here we like our home, spent lots of money on it and don't really want to leave...

I just need to find a solution to the problem. I'm sure there is one.... I've been hoping he crosses the line and I can then easily pull law enforcement into the mix but at this point he is probably not breaking any laws but then again, I'm, not a lawyer either.

Perhaps the cameras would deter his actions? Not sure, could make it worse...

That said, anyone have suggestions for a budget mindful system?

You probably won't like this answer, but move. Lots of good reasons not to, can't sell house, like the neighborhood, ect. One very good reason to move, your 12 year old. What is the point of being able to prove he did something after the fact?

If I was living next door to a child predator, I would do everthing in my power to protect my family. Is he a registered sex offender? Do all your neighbors know about his past? I would install a surveillance system and burglar alarm immediately. With a wide angle lens, you can capture your property along with your neighbors. I don't see any problems as long as you are not installing the cameras solely to watch him on his property (zoomed in on his windows, his front door etc) Check with authorities about privacy laws and LET THEM KNOW about this low life's past!! Keep an eye on him...through the crosshairs on your shotgun!!

alee ,

Very good way to put it into perspective.

We may list our house in the fall. We have a 19yr old getting ready to go off to college so we'd like to get him out the door before we do.

What I don't understand is the reluctance to talk to the police about this. At least two people have suggested it, and you've tried to find every way around it right up to selling and moving away.

The worst thing the police can do here is tell you there's "nothing they can do". You ASSUME that this person has no restrictions placed on his conduct, but you don't KNOW unless you ask the authorities; even neighbors won't necessarily have the whole story. I'd think if there's even the slightest chance that reporting his actions could get the threat removed, that would be the FIRST step to take.

You can put in all the cameras you want... if he should actually (God forbid) attack your kids, you might have a crystal-clear recording of it, but the damage will already be done.

Remember, if you move the problem still stays. If some unsuspecting family moves in and god forbid something happens...I would not like to have that on my conscious. Alert the authorities so they are at least familiar with this monsters wherabouts and his past.

Educate your child, equip him with a locator. A good fence, a good dog, a great alarm system, good lighting and some high end cameras. Couple this with a 1911 and dare him to cause harm...seriously.

Geez man around here us neighbors chuck the bird at each other as a sign of affection! A little balls and preparation will allow you to live where you want and still be secure. Arm yourself with the tools to do so, don't leave yourself as naive and defenseless as the 13 year old he took advantage of....... let him know this and don't be covert about it.

All this is a small price to pay for your home and dogs are cool anyway.

Report your concerns with police before you do any of this so the purchases are post dated to your complaint. It'll look better in court.

Naw man don't move, stick it out and then go visit him in the nursing home in 10 years

Install some good cameras covering your property boundries (side lot, back & front yards, door way entry, driveway) Bullet cams and small domes are great to hang. Get a good DVR with lots of hard drive storage capacity.

Now assuming you have some type of solid fence 4-6 ft. high along your property, I would suggest aiming/focusing the camera to only see your side lot and not any part of your neighbors property to reduce a claim by the neighbors.

While he may be guilty of the crimes he's convicted of, he has paid his dues to society/served his time. We don't know that and we are not taking his side..but he does have a right to live his life free of harassment if he is not choosing to go down the path he choose before.

Goodluck, ask us more on techniques if you'd like.

Police? Cant even depend on them to direct traffic these days.

Id sucker him into coming into my yard, then id take care of bizness straight up gangster style