herictopia

I have registered my company, got insurance, what do I need?

Hello,

I registered my company with the irs, got commercial general liability insurance, but the company that I want to strike a contract with is a parking lot company.... but I think their requirements are too much. They sent me an insurance certificate and in the sample insurance certificate, they are asking for commercial general liability which I have, but i use my personal car for business. They also want a commercial auto insurance combined limit of 500,000 dollars. Are they asking too much? or is that normal? If anyone here can help me with what I exactly need to get my business up and running, it will be really appreciated. Parhaps a list of things that I need. Thank you.

Might help us to know just what sort of business you're running (we can assume "CCTV-related", but that doesn't tell us what you're trying to do here), and what sort of contract you're trying to strike here (camera coverage? full security? remote monitoring?).

"Requirements" will probably depend a lot on your location and local laws, as well.

My apologies. I intend to install CCTV cameras both Analog and IP based. I build the system and then install them in the premises and the only involvement from my side after that is the warranty of 3 years. I do not plan to monitor or install alarm systems in the premises. The job I have now is a 4 camera installation in an office of a parking lot company. It is in a city and I use my personal car for the business...but they want a commercial auto liability of minimum 500,000. Even if i do not park in their premises. I don't understand if that makes sense... The commercial liability is fine, I've already gotten an insurance for my business. I checked the MA website but I could not find anything relating to CCTV systems. a complete site search for the term CCTV did not even yield any results.

Thanks Again.

Umm, well, I'm in BC, so the laws are probably a little different, but even so... that doesn't make sense. I don't know how any kind of auto insurance has anything at all to do with your install, especially if it's IN the office. I'd definitely be getting some clarification from this outfit - like, ask them for a specific reason why auto insurance has ANYTHING to do with an office surveillance system...??

ya.... It sounds absurd but then again USA does make nonsense laws to make small businesses suffer. Any other inputs from anyone living in the USA? Thanks.

that sounds crazy. I mean you guys have ALOT more laws then we do, and many of them make sense, but this makes none. This doesnt sound like a legal issue, this sounds like the client has some really whacky requirements. Its just a 4 camera job, dont waste too much time on it. Get in get out.

If they have more parking lots and this is some job you expect to get many more from, then perhaps go further .. but I still dont get it .. they want you to have auto insurance for what reason? As a parking lot dont they already assume some responsibility for the vehicles parked there? are they worried about tools? If so then what about companies that park there now that have tools in them? Tell them if they have a problem you will pay for parking just to be within the same legal arena as everyone else that parks their vehicle in their lot. But whatever you do dont sign a waiver saying they are not liable for tools in your vehicle .. they could be crooked and steal them theirself. I deal with criminals alot so im very very paranoid of EVERYONE!

Really sounds like they have someone lined up for the job already and they want to throw anything they can out there to stop other prospective bids, perhaps the manager is getting a cut.

Some of my contracts also require this. The reason was described to me as being a security blanket amount to ensure coverage "beyond imagineable circumstances". The argument could be made that transit to and from the job site, on a service call say, in that company's own behalf i.e. warranty service, would make that company liable for any circumstance that may arise port to port. Their own policies are cheaper if they require this provision....

A by-product of our lawsuit crazy, large settlement amount society.

Just add-in the cost of this policy to your Quote and pass the buck like everyone else does.

My company needs auto insurance to with one of our contracts across the United States its dumb because we have nothing to do with driving our car but it is what it is.

My company needs auto insurance to with one of our contracts across the United States its dumb because we have nothing to do with driving our car but it is what it is.

What if you take the bus to the jobsite???

What if you take the bus to the jobsite???

exactly .. i did 3 jobs over the last couple weeks where i took the bus. I carry the tools i needed inside a small portable DVD case.

Well the state I work in you have to have a state cttv license commerical license and insurance on your company auto, pay workmans comp insurance, unemployment insurance, and if your company has over 5 people counting yourself health insurance and liabilty insurance and if you work around schools drug testing and performance bonds. Now you pay all of that and you get leftovers that the IRS does not take. Now you wonder why we can sell for the same price as Sams or Costco plus state mandated training classes.

Thanks guys for your responses. Very helpful. Yes, I was wondering the same thing... what if I ride there by train? or even walk? anyway, I spoke to the manager of the company and she is a very nice person... She spoke to the accounting department and said the insurance is required since any damage to THEIR property or PEOPLE need to be covered under commercial auto liability. Anyhow, she told me to inquire on its costs and let her know, and she will pay for it. Very nice person.

And yes, they are one of the biggest parking lots n the east coast so I am hoping for some more jobs. Provided that I still have a good relationship with the regional manager, it may just be an investment.

I know what you mean crivine.... Its really messed up when you think about it. All these people making these laws have no idea how the cctv systems work. And if the certification from state is required, it should be free since it is an asset to the state. You couldn't even crap out money and keep it for yourselves.... the state would have a shyt tax on it.

herictopia

Goodluck in your ventures just make sure you check the laws for the state you are in its not bad on the prices for each item just the total package. Also the need is there for the state to control things we have had fly by nighters put cameras in places that are not allowed and looks bad on all installers until it comes out about them not being ligit. You see it on the news about someone taping girls and women in tanning booths and other places.

The insurance requirements do not always come from the customer, they may lease space from a building owner and that is a blanket requirement for working in their building, regardless of what you are doing. It is required from you, electricians, plumbers, even the janitors. I'm not saying it's right, your insurance should be based on what you do, but thats not the way it is, at least not here in California.