ini

.5 Lux Lighting ?

Hi Everyone-

The more I get into this stuff, the more I dislike IR lighting. I'm looking at putting a Acti 4201 in a small office. Here comes the stupid question: would a (or a couple) of clildren's night lights provide sufficient white light for this camera or do I really need to look at motion-detected flood lighting (obviously the best solution)? Again, I understand this wouldn't be the preferred method. I'm just curious of the results. I know someone out there has been desperate enough to try it.

thanks.

Hi Everyone-

The more I get into this stuff, the more I dislike IR lighting. I'm looking at putting a Acti 4201 in a small office. Here comes the stupid question: would a (or a couple) of clildren's night lights provide sufficient white light for this camera or do I really need to look at motion-detected flood lighting (obviously the best solution)? Again, I understand this wouldn't be the preferred method. I'm just curious of the results. I know someone out there has been desperate enough to try it.

thanks.

I'm not sure what's to dislike about IR lighting? Properly implemented and preferably not emitted from the cam is going to be the best solution. Finding decent emitters, that's the challenge.

Hi Everyone-

thanks.

I'm not sure what's to dislike about IR lighting? Properly implemented and preferably not emitted from the cam is going to be the best solution. Finding decent emitters, that's the challenge.

I'm just not crazy about the "dog's eyes in headlights" look. I thought white light was preferrable to IR? I'm not very exprienced so please excuse my ignorance. I've been looking at Extreme's emitters but am still trying to digest the cost (guess you get what you pay for).

I'm just not crazy about the "dog's eyes in headlights" look. I thought white light was preferrable to IR? I'm not very exprienced so please excuse my ignorance. I've been looking at Extreme's emitters but am still trying to digest the cost (guess you get what you pay for).

No argument from me about the look of the eyes. I guess it comes down to accepting the nature of the beast. If I were looking for that Pulitzer prize winning picture I would pull out the old Nikon and select one of many very expensive lenses I own. Trust me, it was a rude awakening for me looking at a CCTV image and comparing it to what my Nikon can do. I'm in it for its designed purpose, security. That said, I've accepted the rather lacklustre image quality of even megapixal cams compared to what pro video/still cameras can produce.

Also, it is a learning experience for all of us. Especially when trying to decipher crap specifications and outright lies some manufactures claim about their products. I do feel your frustration if that is any consolation.

ini,

I dont believe that the 4201 is IR sensitive, I pm'd you my Acti contact guy, give him a call and run it by him.

My good friend....Dopal. Correct again. ..don't know what I'd do without you guys..

Thanks for the contaact info as well!!

ini,

I dont believe that the 4201 is IR sensitive, I pm'd you my Acti contact guy, give him a call and run it by him.

My good friend....Dopal. Correct again. ..don't know what I'd do without you guys..

Thanks for the contaact info as well!!

I agree! Thanks again for all your help. I bought the cable but it wasn't exactly the right pinout so it won't work. It was definitely worth the chance as the price was right. I can't thank you enough for all your help.

I thought white light was preferrable to IR?

i prefer it, motion lights, decent color only camera, you save all kind of money and get a better image.

I do not know anything about that camera you are using but my first question is, does it have a wide dynamic range setting on it.

If someone breaks into an office, they are going to either turn the lights or have a flashlight or use some sort of light source....Unless they are professionals and use night vision Just a thought.

If someone breaks into an office, they are going to either turn the lights or have a flashlight or use some sort of light source....Unless they are professionals and use night vision Just a thought.

and they'll wear a ski mask anyway so cameras become useless then

I do not know anything about that camera you are using but my first question is, does it have a wide dynamic range setting on it.

No WDR. I think it is the most basic of the megapix cameras....and for the price, I wouldn't expect much more.

...ya know guys...I never got an answer to my original question. I got side-tracked with all of the good info I was getting and got off-subject myself. Plus, Rory jumping in on one of your threads finally is enough to make you forget what you asked.

Does any one have an opinion on how much good a couple of night lights would do for a .5 lux camera.....any at all?

Does any one have an opinion on how much good a couple of night lights would do for a .5 lux camera.....any at all?

i dont know the camera specs and Ive never seen the kids lights, but in a small area like a bedroom, even the light from just a TV would normally provide enough light for the camera to see something, in my past experiences when testing cameras inside and in the dark. If its 0.5 Lux rated and its not a major brand like GE, Bosch, Pano, Sanyo, Extreme, etc .. then expect the worst, likely it needs plenty light to see good. So perhaps worst case scenerio you will get a grainy image, but should see whats going on, at least in the area where the light is. If it was a large area like outdoors, then its less likely to provide much light for the camera.

Thanks for your time, Rory. These Acti cameras will be going in a smal pharmacy. I'd really rather use megapixel for cash register and, more so, pill dispensing monitoring. However, if someone has no surveillance system it's a tough sale to intruduce them to a megapixel system so I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum. As far as the area size, the largest space to monitor is 20x25, give or take a couple of feet. In light of this post. I'm considering going to the 3511's but that drastically increases cost (although very reasonable for a quality system ((that's the part most buyers don't get))

Ini,

If you want I will open one of those 5601's i'm selling and set it up with some nightlights and show you. My basement is about that size and the specs are the same for my cameras and the ACM-4201's.

Just let me know.

Ini,

If you want I will open one of those 5601's i'm selling and set it up with some nightlights and show you. My basement is about that size and the specs are the same for my cameras and the ACM-4201's.

Just let me know.

Well, I'd hate to ask you to go to the trouble but like other's have said, it's a d@mn shame that manufacturers don't provide more examples and pretty much make us buy their product to see what we're getting. If you have time, it would be great but don't break your back over it. I greatly appreciate your offering!!

Thanks for your time, Rory. These Acti cameras will be going in a smal pharmacy. I'd really rather use megapixel for cash register and, more so, pill dispensing monitoring. However, if someone has no surveillance system it's a tough sale to intruduce them to a megapixel system so I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum. As far as the area size, the largest space to monitor is 20x25, give or take a couple of feet. In light of this post. I'm considering going to the 3511's but that drastically increases cost (although very reasonable for a quality system ((that's the part most buyers don't get))

Didnt realize you were talking about IP cameras. Since most are CMOS and/or poor in low light situations i cant say they will work or not.

Didnt realize you were talking about IP cameras. Since most are CMOS and/or poor in low light situations i cant say they will work or not.

I understand. Do you, or by all means, does any one else have any experience with megapixel and integrated IR (understod that integrated isn't the preferred method)?

Well, I'd hate to ask you to go to the trouble but like other's have said, it's a d@mn shame that manufacturers don't provide more examples and pretty much make us buy their product to see what we're getting. If you have time, it would be great but don't break your back over it. I greatly appreciate your offering!!

No problem, give me a little while and I will try to get it together tonight. I'll post it here for everyone to see.

No problem, give me a little while and I will try to get it together tonight. I'll post it here for everyone to see.

go on whit 'cha bad self!! J/K..I do appreciate you though...

I understand. Do you, or by all means, does any one else have any experience with megapixel and integrated IR (understod that integrated isn't the preferred method)?

i have plenty experience with Integrated Day Night IR cameras, but cant say I or my clients could ever afford megapixel IR cameras, besides last I checked there still wasn't much out there, in comparison to CCTV cameras.

Edited by Guest

i have plenty experience with Integrated Day Night IR cameras, but cant say I or my clients could ever afford megapixel IR cameras, besides last I checked there still wasn't much out there.

Would you mind having a look at what I'm considering and providing your input?

http://www.acti.com/product/detail/Megapixel_IP_Fixed_Dome_Camera/ACM-3511

Pricing is less than many quality, analog cameras. But again, I have no experience with them...so I don't know.

I stay far away from Domes with Integrated IR .. havent seen one yet that was worth it. I'd use a bullet camera over a dome any day though. That said Ive never used that camera, nor that brand.

I stay far away from Domes with Integrated IR .. havent seen one yet that was worth it. I'd use a bullet camera over a dome any day though. That said Ive never used that camera, nor that brand.

Do you get reflection? I just hate that bullets are suceptible to manipulation. I don't have the option of mounting them "out of reach"..whatever that means.