I keep having people tell me to get a dedicated system and not mess with a DVR card yet I've seen a lot of good posts about DVR cards. Are they old news? If you got a new setup today would you still get one? Would it be a hybrid?

Nothing is "over" - the choice is always dependent on the situation. (Okay, VCRs are pretty much over, but that's as much because nobody's making them anymore).

PC-based DVRs have some distinct advantages over standalones (and keep in mind, these are GENERALITIES - some standalones will also have extended capabilities that address some of these items... but most won't):

* They're much more expandable, especially in terms of storage. Add more drives internally, plug in external USB drives, add on RAID arrays and NAS.

* They're more flexible - you can install additional software to do just about anything you need the system to do. You can add on network tunneling, analytics, video editing, advanced video and image processing, remote desktop access, etc. I've recently set up a system with a text-inserter box that supports web-based configuration, so it's great to be able to remote into the DVR, fire up a web browser, and tweak the TVS from there.

* They're often a friendlier interface - people are used to using computers with a mouse and keyboard, not clicking a couple buttons and spinning a job wheel to step through menus.

* They're far more upgradeable. Standalones generally have little or no path for upgrading software short of a firmware flash. You mention hybrids - a standalone that doesn't support IP cameras will likely never support IP cameras, whereas a PC-based machine can either have its software upgraded, or have separate software for IP support added on.

Naturally, standalones have their own benefits - they're cheaper, more compact, easier to lock away. They CAN be more robust and reliable, IF they're well-built, and can often survive harsher environments.

But in answer to your question: no, DVR cards are far from over.

Thank you! That is exactly the answer I've been needing to hear spelled out especially since I always have plenty of quality computers around that I could dedicate to this purpose. Now, if I could just get a recommendation on what cards I need to decide between. I get the feeling this is like a religious kind of decision. Looks kinda like the software the card comes with is almost more important than the card. Do I want to get a hybrid? Is there somewhere to get some decent reviews to compare cards? Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

I keep having people tell me to get a dedicated system and not mess with a DVR card yet I've seen a lot of good posts about DVR cards. Are they old news? If you got a new setup today would you still get one? Would it be a hybrid?

Hi,

what i can say is, our total Produtions for cards has been increasing every year because of the demand. I think there are a lot of Dealers, looking for PC based systems.

thanks.

NVR factory

I too, prefer DVR cards.

If something dies, you replace that part, end of the story. )power supply, hard drive, capture card).

And it is easily upgradable. If you have only 4 inputs, you can install up to 4 DVR cards, for a total of 16 inputs. yeah!!

In a dedicated DVR, if the power supply dies, you replace the whole DVR (most of them are like that... only some have an external power supply).

In other words, Any issue with a dedicated DVR, you have to replace it.

Ciao!

dvr cards are very good and is the way to go. but and a BIG BUTT. if you or the person building your system knows what to build and build it right then you will have a system that will last for years. get someone who thinks they can build you a system then its going to cost you AND COST YOU TIME AND TIME AGAIN. I dont build i use sa and eb avermedia systems. the nv avermedia is a card build system and built right is a fantastic system. contact guys on here like soundy or trocandio read some of there posts and you will build one right firstime thet seem to know what there are talking about when it comes to building

So very true. There was a trend there for a little while where every dealer out there that was looking to save a buck and built their own systems. Some succeeded, most failed....badly.

There's a number of ways you can configure a PC into a DVR. The right way you won't find by surfing the net. You're much better off by going to a reputable company that has been doing it for many years. That way they have gone through all the 'do's and dont's' and have a successful way of manufacturing. You're paying for that expertise and in the long run, it's worth it.

Oh, and Soundy is the man. Just wanted to point that out. He's got great posts every time.

I strongly agree with soundy that the DVR board is still there and have advantages.

One thing I would like to add is a basic concept of the embedded, stand alone, type DVR.

Since it is embedded, it is built to perform exactly to perform feartures that was designed for.

Therefore, in most cases, it uses optimized components such as embedded CPU and very condensed motherboard, and minimum required memory, etc.

Reduced costs are based on such parts, and it will limit the capability and expandibility of the system.

If such things are implemented with much powerful components, the cost will be jumping higher then PC based DVR, while it is still not as flexible as PC based.

I think the stand alone will dominate market share and grow faster than PC based DVR, but PC based will be still required in niche market, especially where integrations are required.

Allen