tmushy

Has anyone tried Windows 7 with Geovision

Hello Everyone

I currently run geovision on my main home pc using vista. I am using Windows 7 on all of my other pcs and it is much of an improvement over vista. My question is has anyone tried it with Windows 7 because I would really like to upgrade this computer.

I have a Gv800 using the latest 8.31 software.

Three days ago I removed Windows 7 64-bit RC and installed Windows 7 32-bit RC to install a GV-800.

Win7 32 bit recognized the drivers without a problem and installed the v8.31 software without a problem. After a few restarts, there was an error with a GeoVision database file, but the software created a new DB file after deleting it. The GeoVision v8.31 software does not allow Windows Aero Graphics to run. Otherwise, things seem to be smooth so far.

-Chris

Geo works fine with XP. I wouldnt bother using anything else until XP has totally disappeared. Have at least until 2014.

Geovision also works well on vista also has faster startup times. XP will soon or if it hasn't been already deemed the keyword unsupported by microsoft. Start experiementing you don't want to be the one who has to delay projects because of OS issues.

Geovision also works well on vista also has faster startup times. XP will soon or if it hasn't been already deemed the keyword unsupported by microsoft. Start experiementing you don't want to be the one who has to delay projects because of OS issues.

I disagree, i have XP machines that boot up within 15 seconds or less, in fact my 630Mhz netbook does it in around 11 seconds, I had one desktop boot in under 8 seconds, so fast we never saw the XP logo. IMO Vista is the worst thing MS ever came out with, bogged down slow systems full of intense graphics. No matter how fast a computer one has, Vista is still a slow OS. Thankfully some PC manufacturers still ship their computers with XP, HP ships some of theirs with XP and Vista so the user can choose. XP support was through 2014 and may go further, however most never need support from MS anyway (you can secure a base XP SP2 without any additional updates required). Only thing one will have to worry about would be a lack of drivers for XP, perhaps 10 years from now. Well thats just my opinion anyway.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/eeepc/eeepcTweaked2.wmv

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/software/utilities/boottimer.asp

vista is definitely a bogged down os but with just a bit of customization it works fine. As far as the worst ms os I def wouldn't pick vista. It had bugs yes but XP had even worse security flaws from the get go. Same thing was said about XP that is being said now about Vista. - my opinion. Rory you seem like a very intelligent person nice to have a forum ran by members who know their subject matter. Thanks

Question, i want to buy a Geovision solution at a official Geovision dealer.

Is it maybe smart to wait for Win 7 or just order a Vista Geo solution now.

Thanks,

Coke

Vista was merely a test platform for Windows 7. We could all run 98, as I think they have most of the bugs worked out. XP is about ten years old now, and while it may be a simple platform, it is less and less relative to current technology.

Having said that, I am having an interesting issue with a new build using a 16-ch GV-800. Motherboard is ASUS P5Q-E w/ Intel P45 chipset & Intel Quad-core @ 2.33. Video Card is MSI n9500GT w/ nVidia GeForce Chipset.

Running Windows 7. Everything installs fine, drivers are happy, running 8.3.1. Any video signal fed in is either solid black or black with 1 or 2 slowly rolling gray bars, like hum. Any ideas?

The card was pulled from another operational system with Win 7 and GV 8.3.1

I have problem with GV-600/4 v4 and windows 7 RC Polish.

I heven't any problem with drivers. But when i install software and run "GV600.exe"/"GeoVision GV-600 System" i see error "This software is incompatible with your location".

I install this from CD (8.3) and from site (8.3.1) and i have some problem.

Someone know what i can do ?? :/

I've had to quit using Quad processors with the GV800 and 8.3.1 (XP sp3). Random problems with two different motherboards but the reoccuring one was upon some boots, all live video would have black screens if there was a video signal present. Also, periodically the Bandwidth program would fail. All solved by changing nothing other than putting in a Dual Core E8500 inplace of the Quads. Has anyone else seen this?

Vista was merely a test platform for Windows 7. We could all run 98, as I think they have most of the bugs worked out. XP is about ten years old now, and while it may be a simple platform, it is less and less relative to current technology.

Having said that, I am having an interesting issue with a new build using a 16-ch GV-800. Motherboard is ASUS P5Q-E w/ Intel P45 chipset & Intel Quad-core @ 2.33. Video Card is MSI n9500GT w/ nVidia GeForce Chipset.

Running Windows 7. Everything installs fine, drivers are happy, running 8.3.1. Any video signal fed in is either solid black or black with 1 or 2 slowly rolling gray bars, like hum. Any ideas?

The card was pulled from another operational system with Win 7 and GV 8.3.1

Question for people using Windows 7 and Geovision 8.3+... I have installed Win 7 on a system using GV800, but I can't seem to log in and view the cameras using WebCam. Is this working for you? When I attempt to access my system remotely, I go to the Webcam log-in screen, enter the username/password. The screen then refreshes and I get a Timed-out error.

Everything else seems fine. No other errors or lost data with the upgrade from Vista.

I installed windows 7 about 8 weeks ago and have been running a gv1480 flawlessly. v8.2

No blue screens - perfect.

Best change I made.

I installed Windows 7 last week and Geovision V8.3 has been running OK except that the V8.3 will be shut down and not be running when I come back to the PC every so often. So there must be some error and it shuts down. Any ideas ?

Oh juicy! I have been running W7 since the first pre beta release. I was running the full versions by September 16, 09. I have installed it in everything from DDR laptops to DDR3 laptops, from P2 machines to the new I7. Totally solid, there have been some minor video driver issues mainly due to manf. not getting up to speed. Generally 98% of the time, if you ran it in Vista it will run in W7.

One thing is that you have to go to the power options in the control panel and set the power to high performance, in there also adjust your screen turnoff times to not at all, elevate your program to administrator, most "capture" programs will require elevation period, turn off all the graphical candy, run the app in xp mode sp2, make sure that you install all of your "capture" programs as an administrator (right click and click run as admin) do that at the .exe file. Check your screen resoltuions, if your running Ultimate do not install the media center. For "capture" programs use W7 professional. I have had no issues running legacy software with W7 following the above rules, you can also manually install drivers with compatability mode. make sure that you install W7 on a wiped drive, then install your capture cards, then your capture software.

I have not tried Geovision yet in W7...I am going to cross that bridge tomorrow if the time allows. I will post my results. Oh as to the quads being an issue, some capture software isnt up to real world yet and will bog down with quads, you can shut off cores in W7 or assign them to tasks.

so you guys think Geovision will works better on Windows 7 Vs Windopws XP ?

we never try Windows 7 yet,

but for sure I wouldnt use Vista, XP is much better and faster

dunno about Windows 7 yet

also anyone tested with 2 Card of 1480 with Windows 7 ?

Well setup a test dummy, or pop an empty hard drive in your machine. Get a trial version of W7, load it up and see what happens! Follow my advice previously. I agree with Vista, but again what an earlier poster said, you can tweak Vista to scream. I loved Vista and love W7 even more simply because I don't have to spend the hours I did getting Vista just right. You wont know unless you try a test dummy!

Highly doubtful it will come close to the performance of XP. Most might be noticing a difference simply because they are now using faster computers compared to what they might have been using with XP, but XP flies like a space rocket on hardware clocking just 600Mhz once setup properly, something Vista and the like could not come close to doing either way. But that said. . . I have noticed too many issues with Geovision 8.3 that I wont use that again anyway, them and MS should have the same slogan ... "it just keeps getting slower .. "

again ..

cpuboth.jpg

I've had to quit using Quad processors with the GV800 and 8.3.1 (XP sp3). Random problems with two different motherboards but the reoccuring one was upon some boots, all live video would have black screens if there was a video signal present. Also, periodically the Bandwidth program would fail. All solved by changing nothing other than putting in a Dual Core E8500 inplace of the Quads. Has anyone else seen this?

I think that must have been the problem I had with a GV800 8.3.1 setup I had a few months back. I had to return the card. I had a Q6600 & it makes sense that its the quad as it ran flawlessly in another system I had.

I just bought a I7 intel processor (I think its 4 or 8 core - it shows up as 8 cores in the task manager).

Is it a known issue that quad cores & 8.3.1 dont mix?

Thanks<

Rich

Windows 7 is basically the same as Windows Vista regardless of all the marketing hype from MS .. in fact it seems even slower .. and as an example instead of 2 steps with XP you now have to perform 5 steps with Windows 7 (and Vista) .. i dont see how anyone could even fathom to use that for a security DVR ... anyway .. Other than being so slow it reminds of using Linux with all the silly fonts and ridiculous folder icons. im working with vlite on it and see how that goes, stripped down though its still a 2GB ISO and what 6 GB installed!@ So far I have done some major tweaking to it but that really does nothing to make it any faster .. at least no where near as fast as XP .. it feels like its 80% slower than XP. MS should change their logo to "it just keeps getting slower and crappier" and i think Geovision should take a look at that logo since their 8.3 release. I dont know what is going on in the world right now but everything is going backwards now ... instead of making things better they are making them worse.

I've been running a geo 1000 on a quad core (q6600) and recently upgraded to a 1480A and 8.3.2.

I'll let you know if the quad core works with that.

I've been running a geo 1000 on a quad core (q6600) and recently upgraded to a 1480A and 8.3.2.

I'll let you know if the quad core works with that.

I have two 1480A and a Quad core I7 and it has many problems...

Did it work for you?

The minimum requirements, according to Geovision, for running two cards in turbo mode is I7 920 which is quad core. How is it possible that these cards don't feet with Quad core since Geovision says that they work ONLY with quad core?

Well, at the advice i got in this thread, I tried swapping my intel 2.13gHz quad-core for a 2.4 gHz Core2Duo, and much to my surprise.... it works! Not sure why the quad-core didnt. I know someone running a gv-800 on an AMD quad just fine tho... so strange.

I run my media center on the same PC, so I'll be picking up a 2.8ish core2duo to OC to around 3.4 which i feel should be sufficient. System has 4-gigs of ram, which I cant even fully use because of 32-bit

I've had a boatload of issues with my upgraded system. However we finally have nailed it down to one of two things. It's either the memory or the evga gforce 210 (or the drivers).

The memory was working fine in the old system but that doesn't always mean much. So I replaced both and the system has been up non stop for 4 days with zero issues. I'm using a 7800 gt video card at the moment and older 185.?? drivers. Before the longest it would run before a blue screen is 7-10 hours and usually only 1 or 2.

With the 210, I had better luck with the oldest driver available for that card. But it still never went through the night without crashing.

This is all with a q6600 8.3.2 software and windows 7 32 bit.

So my opinion so far is windows 7 works. Q6600 is fine. But again this is the 8.3.2 software so that might have something to do with it.