Has anyone had any experience with Hikvision IP cameras? I read some posts about their DVRs and NVRs, but nothing specific to their IP cameras.

Are they durable and work well? How is the picture qualify on video stream with H.264 compression? What is their warranty and how is their technical support? How do they handle warranty related problems with their hardware?

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

hikvision is good at DVR and dvs,The first time I see their ip camera in Hangzhou 2007 Exhibition ,their have a good qulity and good service,don't worry about that.

Has anyone had any experience with Hikvision IP cameras? I read some posts about their DVRs and NVRs, but nothing specific to their IP cameras.

Are they durable and work well? How is the picture qualify on video stream with H.264 compression? What is their warranty and how is their technical support? How do they handle warranty related problems with their hardware?

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Hikvision's poor tech/customer support is a deal breaker for me!!

I can't speak for the quality of their IP cameras, but I am pleased with the quality of their DVR cards. That being said, I would have to say that their tech/customer support sucks at best. I have/had a dead port on one of the octopus cables that came with the card. Fortunately it was an easy fix as Hikvision refused to answer repeated request to purchase a new cable from them.

While I'm pleased with the quality of the DVR card, I simply refuse to buy from or support a company that neglects customer support issues. Having a company that stands behind their product and offers easy access to repair and/or replacement parts is paramount to me. If the powers to be at Hikvision feel it is more important to lose repeated purchases from potential customers because they feel it is beneath them to sell a $5 cable so be it. I will now avoid Hikvision products in the future and do my best to inform potential buyers to thread carefully when contemplating buying them. I'm done with Hikvision.

http://www.cctvforum.com/about16453-0-asc-0.html

Thread on it not that long ago.

Privatteer, thank you... I missed this thread... based on what I read, looks like mixed reviews at best.

Does anyone know what chipset are they using for their MP cameras? Most of the manufacturers that we work with use Arecont chipsets... so I am very curious what Hikvision uses...

I should have few samples on hand soon for testing... Not sure about their DVRs or NVRs, but the cameras are what we need... there are several manufacturers of software that incorporated Hikvision camera drivers, so we will have a chance to test them...

What is their warranty on these cameras? How is their warranty protocol work and are they cooperative with advanced replacements during warranty period?

Again, thank you for all your comments and point of references...

Does anyone know what chipset are they using for their MP cameras?

I'm not sure about the type of cmos chip but last I checked they were using the same Ti Davinci chip that they use in there DVR's

Tailbone, what exactly happened with their technical support? The warranty protocol, product support, availability of the products, availability of repairs needed beyond warranty period (by the way, what is their warranty anyway?) are very important factors for making intelligent decision if someone wants to carry their product line...

In general, I have been getting mixed reviews thus far. I also read articles about their product lines in different forums... Besides obvious positive comments that actually points back to Hikvision or to their affiliate companies or partners, it is very hard to get a good feel about this product line...

Here is my take thus far... someone can have the best product in the world and the best performance under the sun, it means nothing if the support mechanism is not behind such product... that is why it is worth to ask as many questions about a new line to see how others feel about the same product...

Thanks all thus far... if there are any other comments, please let me know.

Does anyone know what chipset are they using for their MP cameras?

I'm not sure about the type of cmos chip but last I checked they were using the same Ti Davinci chip that they use in there DVR's

What do you think of their encoders? The claim to their fame is that their encoders take analog signal and covert to IP and then compress to H.264 stream... I wish I had a chance to check this hardware... but I am pursuing to test the entire IP line, including these encoders...

Are there any comparable hardware from other manufacturers, besides the majors? By major, I mean Bosch, Panasonic, American Dynamics, GE, Sanyo, Axis and few others....

Tailbone, what exactly happened with their technical support? The warranty protocol, product support, availability of the products, availability of repairs needed beyond warranty period (by the way, what is their warranty anyway?) are very important factors for making intelligent decision if someone wants to carry their product line...

That's just it, they didn't answer numerous requests to replace the cable even if I have to pay for it. Yes, I did offer to buy it from them even though the card is in warranty. The card is only a few months old and works perfectly. I really like it. I had a few growing pains that I had to iron out with the other hardware, but that's to be expected. I'm sure they are getting my e-mail as they did answer one question about their software. Maybe they are only allowing one question per card?

The bottom line for me is even if the item is out of warranty, replacement parts should always be made available for a period of time at a nominal fee.

At least the cable was easily repaired as it was just an open shield on one of the ports. The shield shares a common ground on one of the pins and I was able to make continuity. All is good now. It would be nice to be able to know that I could buy a cable should I want to.

May take on this is anyone can sell you a product, it's the after sales support that separates good manufacturers from fly-by-night manufacturer. There's too much choice out here to be locked into thinking one has to kiss a manufacturer's collective asses. Competition is always nice and I'm confident that it won't be hard to find a manufacturer that still honors their warranty.

[/img]

Thanks for sharing bud...

We are looking for few companies that are not considered as major manufacturers.. rather ones that have been around few years and may produce decent hardware.. We also are not looking for some cheap products either, rather what I like to call more cost effective pricing.. However, such pricing must be accompanied with solid customer and technical support and decent warranty support without any compromise... I have seen too many such companies come and go and only few that remained.. and even then, and this is may be due to our economical condition, are back peddling on essential services that we all need to keep buying their products.

I have been pursuing Hikvision for the last few weeks... and trying to get the feel what everyone else think of their products... found some articles that were positive, but back track of the authors revealed that they were written by Hikvision or one of their main distributors..

I rather hear directly from the user and the installers... this group of people always share the real info and give unbiased opinions... and that is why I am asking and still researching... and thanks all for your comments.

The industry standard is to have parts available at least for five years after a warranty period expires to maintain and fix products that we buy today. However, when we are dealing off shore companies, it is almost impossible to believe what they say today... as most pack their bags and leave the country as soon as they face heat from the customers... It is only shame that such companies take advantage of customers in U.S. and then they are gone...

I am not sure if Hikvision falls in this category yet.. however, they do not look good thus far based on what I am reading...

We are looking for few companies that are not considered as major manufacturers.. rather ones that have been around few years and may produce decent hardware.. We also are not looking for some cheap products either, rather what I like to call more cost effective pricing.. However, such pricing must be accompanied with solid customer and technical support and decent warranty support without any compromise... I have seen too many such companies come and go and only few that remained.. and even then, and this is may be due to our economical condition, are back peddling on essential services that we all need to keep buying their products.

Good points you bring up. I'm to the point, learning the hard way, that sticking with name brand and more costly hardware (Bosch, Pelco, Panasonic,etc..) is probably a more cost effective way to get the job done. I've paid my dues with trial and error with the Asian crap hardware that lacks performance and spent productivity senselessly enough to make the extra money spent on good hardware a dirt cheap bargain. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there is great no-name Asian hardware out there, but the odds equate to finding a pearl in a septic tank.

I have been pursuing Hikvision for the last few weeks... and trying to get the feel what everyone else think of their products... found some articles that were positive, but back track of the authors revealed that they were written by Hikvision or one of their main distributors..

I rather hear directly from the user and the installers... this group of people always share the real info and give unbiased opinions... and that is why I am asking and still researching... and thanks all for your comments.

The industry standard is to have parts available at least for five years after a warranty period expires to maintain and fix products that we buy today. However, when we are dealing off shore companies, it is almost impossible to believe what they say today... as most pack their bags and leave the country as soon as they face heat from the customers... It is only shame that such companies take advantage of customers in U.S. and then they are gone...

I am not sure if Hikvision falls in this category yet.. however, they do not look good thus far based on what I am reading...

I've never dealt with their customer service, but have dealt with other Asian customer service and had nothing but bad luck. I have sent support requests to one company (about 50 of them) and not one response.

I have owned several Hik units and they are very solid. Mike from Shoreviewsecurity on here swears by them. The Ti chipset that they use does an excellent job IMO and I actually liked it better than my current model that has the Motorolla Blackfin.

Here is a link to what looks like an excellent camera, I know the owner of the company and I could see about getting a sample or more if anyone wanted to go in on it with me. http://www.linovision.com/pages/products/ip/862mf_e/index.php

I sent him an email requesting more info and I will see if he can set me up with a login to one for us to look at. I'll let you know what he says.

Mike from Shoreviewsecurity on here swears by them.

Mike is great person to deal with and is very helpful. I found him to be very honest when it comes to the products he sells. He had a few items I am interested in and was very straightforward and forthcoming with the pros and cons of each of the products he sells. In my book that is the way to do business even if he knows it might not generate a sale. I will be dealing with him much more in the future. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the kind words. I believe it really is the only way to do business. Let's face it; cameras and DVR's can be bought from many companies all day long. I have learned from my mistakes in the past and want to share those mistakes with others. I really try to point people in the right direction. If I truly believe if it will not meet the needs, I WILL NOT recommend it even if it means a "lost" sale. I always mention that regardless of whom you buy from, I hope the info I provided will assist you in making an informed decision. Also, if by chance I do error, I will make it right. I sleep very well at night.

Mike

Edited by Guest

Interestingly enough, I have a meeting with this manufacturer tomorrow on their IP lineup... lets see what they say and what they commit... and more importantly, how will they show us their warranty protocol or RMA system.

We have been burned too many times by these type of companies and now we know how to put them on the spot. Most offer only one year warranty and persistency forces them to commit to three years warranty. However, I have yet seen one of them to come through on their warranty promise and it will be very interesting how this company behaves...

Do not misunderstand the approach that we take... even major manufacturers have serious problems with their warranty and RMA protocols and even then, they still have to perform...

Someone can have the best product in the market and means nothing if they do not have solid infrastructure behind it as a support mechanism. The problems start not when the product fails, rather how they behave at the time of the sell and even more importantly, ability to show and proof the viability of their overall offering - including the service, support, warranty to name the few...

Interestingly enough, I have a meeting with this manufacturer tomorrow on their IP lineup... lets see what they say and what they commit... and more importantly, how will they show us their warranty protocol or RMA system.

We have been burned too many times by these type of companies and now we know how to put them on the spot. Most offer only one year warranty and persistency forces them to commit to three years warranty. However, I have yet seen one of them to come through on their warranty promise and it will be very interesting how this company behaves...

Do not misunderstand the approach that we take... even major manufacturers have serious problems with their warranty and RMA protocols and even then, they still have to perform...

Someone can have the best product in the market and means nothing if they do not have solid infrastructure behind it as a support mechanism. The problems start not when the product fails, rather how they behave at the time of the sell and even more importantly, ability to show and proof the viability of their overall offering - including the service, support, warranty to name the few...

Well put

Have been selling HIK Cards for last about 5 years

only had one bad one (never care to return)

every time i order cards will ask for few extra camera connection cable

so now i have a lot.

camera tried about 1 year back

just hated and return after 3 days.

Ask yourself a ??? who support HIK IP camera

I mean NVR soft

also ask about their "stupid license scheme" for each of their camera

also keep in mind lots of company in China write soft for them

HIK do not have their own soft (they provide SDK)

they get so called their own soft from other companies

We do not care about Hikvision software nor I was aware that they had one... We have a software that is not license heavy and works fairly well.. hopefully we will have access to the code to make changes that we see fit... This software works with most IP cameras, but support only few H.264 streams, one of which is Hikvision.

We recently tested their 2MP minidomes... looks ok and worked fairly well. Tested and confirmed that these minidomes did spit out H.264 video stream and the software was able recognize and store such video... very small file size dependent how you setup the camera..

This is nice and great, but we do not care for short term success... we focus more on long term effects of such product and how the manufacturer can provide a support in case of a failure...

I know this, any electronics equipment is not if it will fail, rather when will it fail... and we want to make sure that companies producing such hardware are always on the edge in case if product fails and also guarantee that a replacement is available without draining our pockets for their bogus warranty tactics...

I am not holding my breath about the positive outcome of this meeting nor have high hopes that this will materialize. I only hope that everything starts correctly and what they say and what they show will hold water.

This is one of the main reasons why major manufacturers charge so much - to prevent shortage of cash to provide essential support and the do day in day out..

Lets see what happens...

The outcome of the meeting well, was interesting... Only the time will tell if the warranty and RMA process does match up on the promise...

I finally received two samples of their 2MP minidomes - ones for indoor and the other one for outdoor.. the construction of the product is ok, not something to be bragging about... However...

We turned on the indoor version with ability to spit out H.264 video stream and run into our software, which recognizes this dome driver... took the monitor resolution to native 1600 by 1200 (based on max res for the monitor we currently use) and the result - well, outstanding. Of course the lens has a lot to do with such equipment and I am not sure if the lens they use is optimal for this product, but the results were admirable. The picture quality compared to others, including Arecont is excellent...

Further tests were done on checking the bandwidth use and the file size being stored.. Besides obvious fluctuation of bandwith due to motion sensing, the rest worked exceptionally well.. for now!

Today sometimes we will fire up the outdoor version with built in LEDs and see how this unit performs...

More tests are needed... thus far, I like what I see...

As for the pricing and availability, this should come together soon...

I finally received two samples of their 2MP minidomes - ones for indoor and the other one for outdoor.. the construction of the product is ok, not something to be bragging about... However...

As for the pricing and availability, this should come together soon...

Any pix samples u can share please

Thx

Working on them... we should have the tests completed early next week...

Initial performance results are very good.. is I can see right now. We will find out the price soon enough... and hope it is not a deal breaker...

I am really shocked that hikviso products sold in China than in the price of overseas sales to more than double.

Just as a side note, we've had no problems (so far - touch wood) with IQEye and warranty support. We had a series of cameras go down due to bad wiring (caused by the electricians that pulled the wire), IQ swapped the cameras for us without question.