cray54

Counterfeit GV-1480 cards?

I was under the impression that I was guaranteed to get a genuine GeoVision card if I purchased a GV-1480. Is this the case? Are there any records of counterfeit GV1480 cards?

Thanks,

Chris

Thank you. Although I do not think that all of the GeoVision boards have been counterfeited, I specifically looked further into the GV-1480 PCI card following your reply. There are clearly counterfeit versions of that card.

All GeoVision cards should say “GeoVisionâ€

The 1480 has been around for a couple years, they faked them right after they were released. BTW the cards themselves are made by a card manufacturer in s. korea. the counterfiet versions have all the same labels the legit ones do, in fact its now very hard to tell the difference. Bottom line is if it comes from China its most likely a fake, if you buy it online make sure they are a Geo distributor - in other words dont buy it off ebay. Seeing new cards with version 7.0 was always a sign, but now I think they have versions 8.0 and higher, or at least claim they do.

Thank you for the information. I'm asking because I prefer to purchase used equipment, but absolutely do not want a counterfeit card.

Thanks,

Chris

I read on there site that the do not sale on eBay, and no distributor are aloud to sell them on eBay.

Also the price is controlled by Geovision, so discounter will not sell this cards likely.

Geo must have big loss whit thia fake ones, i am looking for a DVR card and i am not buying Geo, scared to buy a fake!

If you want to buy second hand, always ask the seller what the serial on the back of the 1480 card is, and then you can ask geovision if it is a genuine card.

Almost all of the time, the seller will refuse to tell you, or make up some excuse why they cant (no number, unreadable, missing, its packed so I cant etc etc) - dont buy in that instance, chances are high its a fake.

I just bought one from A1securty . Honestly the price was so good that I am scared it will be a fake. I told the sales guy 5 times I would check the sn with Geovision and stop payment if it was a fake. He assured me many times that there would be no problem. Anyone dealt with these people?

Sing

Well I hope I answered my own question coming here. I see the people I bought it from are partners in this website. I just could not believe what a good deal they gave me

You should really ask him for the serial number and ask geovision to check it out.

Then again he could just give you a number from a legit card to throw you off..

what model card was it?

But yeah looks like their GV-800 and above cards are way below regular dealer price.

makes one wonder ... maybe they bought so many they can sell them that low?

The price of the GV-600-16 though is not as low as the regular price of the clones.

Well I honestly was not looking for a new card and went to there site to check on a camera. I have wanted to upgrade my older GV-800 for a while so I can go 64 bit and switch to windows 7. I was looking at the GV-1240 but the salesman talked me into the GV-1480. I only use the 8 channels but for the extra $100 it was nice to have the ability to expand more.

Sing

Well I honestly was not looking for a new card and went to there site to check on a camera. I have wanted to upgrade my older GV-800 for a while so I can go 64 bit and switch to windows 7. I was looking at the GV-1240 but the salesman talked me into the GV-1480. I only use the 8 channels but for the extra $100 it was nice to have the ability to expand more.

Sing

MrSing please keep us posted on findings. I bought a CNB camera from them last week and works great. I did notice the item was drop shipped from California. I need to order a card too. I want to get the gv800-4 bc or the gv800-8. Btw does anyone know if I can run two gv-800-4 cards in one computer ? They do have some very good pricing on a lot of the items. However I was hesitant to order the card from them.

I called Geovision today to check on them and they said they were not listed as a distributer of their products. Rory pointed out a good point how can there pricing be below dealer cost? I bought the camera without thinking as they are a forum partners. I guess these so called partners are not screen before listing them on this site.

Well I got my GV1480 today and it sure does look real. Hologram ,Sn, chip markings. made in Taiwan.

This card is an exact match to the GV-1480 picture on the Geovision web site.

Sing

Yes

Geovision box with barcode and sn on box,Geovision DVD, there is even a little hologram on the box. I have seen counterfeits before and there seems to be nothing that does not match the card on their site.

If anyone wants I can post a picture.

Sing

Sure if you can post a picture that would be appreciated.

Though if they are knockoffs then they would be overcharging for them

I did not post the box because it had a large bar code, Sn label on it. Right now I am out of town working so I no longer have access to it.

I installed the card before I left and it seems to be working fine. Nice to have the higher frame rate.

Sing

The books were all similar, there were no peanuts in the box. There is actually a small hologram on the front of the box. The disk is different but it is version 8.34 professional not a copy.

The only thing I have found at all odd is there was some writing on one of the chips in magic marker.

So far the card has been up for about 3 days, no crashing or rebooting.

I will be home again in a month.

Sing

No peanuts for mine either, but the disk should be similar.

How do you mean different?

Anyway, when you get back let us know plz. Though I think it is legit anyway.

The disk was in a dark cardboard sleeve with Geovision on it. The artwork covered the whole face with Geovision logo, it was not blue but mostly dark. I have a real Gv-800 and the holigram is exactly the same I thought maybe it was a repair, but I see no sigh of rework on the board

The static proof bag the card came in had extra sn labels on it.

The obvious test is to run the sn through Geovision. I did not expect to be going out of town and left kind of suddenly though.

Off to work.

Sing.

I wouldnt worry about it really, at that price it has to be legit, or like i said they are making a killer profit.