Squiffy

Researchers Hack IP Video

But they would still need to hack the wireless network first correct? Could this be prevented if you use Axis cameras and enable https and IEEE 802.1X?

I am not that concerned about this if the hacker needs access to the LAN. What is the difference with an analog system and the hacker splicing into the coax?

And I would like to know how we could prevent an attack like this.

This isn't nearly as concerning as the ACTi cameras. They include publically in the cameras root directory a network testing tool that can be misused to perform a denial of service attack to anyone on the internet/lan. So imagine setting up a big system with 20 of these cameras and someone uses all 20 and targets the main switch for the school. Yeah..... thats not good.

The part of the story that really defuses it is the "physical access to the network". I look at that like if someone were to get access to the building to connect directly to the network there's a lot worse things they can do than try and loop a video. I'd think if a criminal got into a building why wouldn't they just walk over and take the entire dvr.

Hacking the WiFi is easy if it's using WEP, which some people still use, just make sure it's not you or a client...

It really isn't that hard to the average kid out there with malicious intentions...

Find the kind of camera, use their ip scanning software to find an ip then spoof to that ip and monitor your packets and you'll see the nvr trying to grab data.... then you go and play with the nvr. RDP enabled? Scan for VNC? is VNC vulnerable to auth bypass? If nothing else they could simply just knock the NVR offline which wouldn't be a smooth job but in the end the client wouldn't have the video.

It really isn't that hard to the average kid out there with malicious intentions...

Find the kind of camera, use their ip scanning software to find an ip then spoof to that ip and monitor your packets and you'll see the nvr trying to grab data.... then you go and play with the nvr. RDP enabled? Scan for VNC? is VNC vulnerable to auth bypass? If nothing else they could simply just knock the NVR offline which wouldn't be a smooth job but in the end the client wouldn't have the video.

But you still need access to the LAN correct? If you setup your IP cameras on a separate LAN and removed it from WAN access how would you do it? Also wouldn't a DVR with a network jack substitutable to the same type of attack?

I understand that you can hack ip cameras hell you can hack anything on the network with enough time, money and effort. So as a security professional how do we prevent this from happening.

Not really, as soon as someone wants to watch the video on it it is vulnerable again. But if you remove the memory card and watch that its the original video.

I think this is growing out of proportion, of course there is a security issue but this is nothing new. This is the core of network security.