AVCONSULTING

DVR Motion Detection Tripped by Camera Noise

I've got someone who is saying their DVR is recording even if there is no motion at night and I've been telling them that if their camera has a poor signal to noise ratio then the random noise is triggering the motion detector. He thinks the DVR has a problem.

Anyone know of an article or articles written regarding motion detection being tripped by high camera noise? Thanks.

If he turns down the sensitivity then it will stop. I had the same issue with my DVR here, i turned it down until It only picks up motion from a human body.

No articles on it though. But the DVR will see noise as motion.

Rory

hi

have same problem on old geovision gv800 v2 sw605

and wd hyperd baxel camera

so i set to motion #6 from preset 9 and max seting 10 and mask as much i can

motion is not that good on many dvr's systems

my gv800 is trip by fast sun,rain,lightning,ac ground loop video hum,other video noise,camera vibration at zoom 6x ,etc

plug all parts of a video dvr system from same outlet power and ups

and use good video cables and connectors (no twist on jobs)

this linux motion is good starting point how motion detect works

best motion sensing i seen for the money is on linux

have many options how to set and optimize

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

http://www.zoneminder.com/

so what we need is a better software motion module in

all dvr's, and faster smp computers with big database for ai detection

i think that people and car motion tracking software is very hi $$$

looks nice , good start for ai and better security recorders

http://www.objectvideo.com/

dusan

Twist on connectors do not cause any issues, once done right, and you use good connectors.

Ive never used a PC based system yet, but even on this cheap Linux DVR i have here I have it set so it ignores rain, trees, etc, and only picks up an actual human. It does trip more than my alarm beams for sure, so right now, nothing will or can replace an actual burglar alarm for that part of the security system. Kalatel's Nucleus OS also has great motion detection settings.

Alan, take a close look at the XF camera from Bosch, it has what is known as Dynamic Noise Reduction, it takes the frames and uses an algorythym to look for signal noise and if that is the case then it recognises it and only lets go of the frame with the least noise, if there is no other change... this has reduced false readings a lot..

also the XF lets you adjust a maximum gain range so that you can determine how much noise you allow onto your picture.

The extended dynamic range being 15bit also helps as there is less noise in the picture as it can see more light levels

Any DVR that has a conditional refresh rate (updates changes in the video scene, not the entire image) compression method will see noise as motion.

Dusan - Maybe the GeoVision sw has other filters that function like a motion detection filter. For example, the American Dynamics Intellex DVR has a filter that is called light change. Works pretty much the same as motion detection but, it ignores the noise generated by cameras in low-light situations. They also have a motion exception feature that lets you specify the dynamics of motion by selecting the speed, direction and size of the moving object. Both of these help reduce false alarms. Also, take a look at MATE software. Similar to the object video stuff but, much easier to program.

As for the cameras, I agree with CCTV_Australia. The Honeywell and AD cameras also have this feature and it works very well.

Haven't have such a problem with Dedicated Micros activity detection, maybe cause they still use JPEG format. Their units also have 7 sensitivity settings, indoor high/low, outdoor high/low, and very very low.

The best result can be gained by using the XF camera with the built in alarm output.... the xf has motion detection built int herefore every fielfd and frame can be analyzed not just time lapse done by a DVR, by using the ouput to the DVR for recording it is the most accurate I have seen

best would be an alarm beam, someone crosses it then it starts recording ... for outdoors, or an alarm motion detector, for indoors ...but yeah the xf camera alarm output is also good .. better than the dvrs motion ..

I've got someone who is saying their DVR is recording even if there is no motion at night and I've been telling them that if their camera has a poor signal to noise ratio then the random noise is triggering the motion detector. He thinks the DVR has a problem.

Anyone know of an article or articles written regarding motion detection being tripped by high camera noise? Thanks.

I can not find any articles on this, but found some interesting reading and I have had this situation before. Replace one of the cameras in question with a loaner. Then you factor in your time when he then sees you were correct all along and replaces camera instead of the DVR.

By the way, what DVR brand is in question?