cctvfan

AWB has "memory effects"?

I've noticed since a long while I'm getting yellowish and bluish images from Samsung and Sony cameras, respectively, particularly in dim lights, as if a colored filter were in place. (The Sony cam is day/night, but not the Samsung)

But I happened to "pull the plug" for one Samsung cam earlier, and after powering up again, to my surprise & delight, the color bias is gone. So I did the same to one Sony cam and the same happened!

Are the white balance circuits supposed to have memory effects (assuming the problem is to do with AWB). If so, are we supposed to power reset the cameras from time to time (I hope not). Never heard of "watchdog" feature on cameras like DVR

Thanks.

I have the same issue. it only happens during day/night transition. The low light no light cams only. seems to me that the combination of all that high tech wizardy in them have not completley figured out mother nature. Otherwise the camera's work great.

For the Sony day/nite camera, I agree it appears to do with d/n transitions, although I'm getting the problem not just DURING the transitions as in your case, but AFTER as well. After repeated d/n switches, the cumulative color bias just stay there 24/7 for months, until I pulled the plug yesterday.

As for the Samsung cam which is NOT a day/nite camera, looks like some "non-recoverable" white balance adjustments just won't go away ----- could be due to similar root causes that affect the Sony camera (By the way, the Samsung cam uses Sony SuperHAD internally).

No.

But Samsung GVI is crap, and Sony isnt great also.

Once it is left to default on Auto White Balance then it will switch according to the camera itself. If its a cheap POS then it will be a crap image and cause issues like this. Sony isnt cheap though, so perhaps its a problem.