Sign in to follow this  
_dog_

Swann PC DVR

Hi guys

I have had my Swann PC dvr system now for over 18 months and it has worked great. unfortunately the pc powering it was outdated so I decided to upgrade to a QuadCore system running vista. but for some reason my swann DVR is having problems. I have recorded a video to show you to try make it better to understand.

problems:

* Camera's have lost colour. now show in B&W

* Very poor quality picture

* sometimes a picture from another camera overlaps another camera.

* Poor night vision (could just be a case of cleaning)

* motion censoring is being triggered by overlapping camera

anyways tell me what you think please.

NOTE: I Cant post URLs yet

I will update this thread when i can post URLs.

I think that you have a case of a unstable software for the current platform you chose to run it at.

First, read the minimum system requirements for the product you are running. Most DVR Card software requires that your mainboard's chipset be of Intel type, Via or SiS MIGHT work, but not as stably as Intel.

If that is not the case, then try doing a test on another system with the right spec's and see what you get.

Also, based on my experience, Windows VISTA and Surveillance software does NOT mix. Windows Vista consumes excessive amounts of system resources. Not to mention that the version of the swann software that you might be running may not be meant for Windows Vista, but XP only. Try going to the manufacturer's website and see if they have an updated version that works well in Vista.

Also, that quad core processor system you got for your swann DVR card is overkill if you ask me for. a Pentium 3 is enough for that software and card that records at only 320x240 unreal time , specially if its a 4CH card. That older system you had it in that you claim that it was a bit outdated was probably the right platform for that software (you dont need anything super fast for that entry level basic software (swann) you are running).

If that quad core system you have that is running Vista is the 64 bit version of Windows Vista expect more problems and may be the cause or one of the causes of the symptoms you are describing.

What ever used to run 100% fine under 32bit 2000 or XP not necessarily will run 100% fine under Windows Vista (ESPECIALLY the 64 bit version).

Thanks for the info. it is Vista 32bit ? ill check the swann website for an update. can I use another program instead? if so what would you recommend?

Oh I also use a quad core system as it also gets used for internet browsing/video editing/internet tv like BBC iplayer. I just wanted something that could multi task with minimum problems

P.S sorry about all the posts in here.. its annoying as I want to post web links to pictures and video for you but cant until I have 5 posts

(this should be the 6th post)

Also...Thanks for the info. it is Vista 32bit ? ill check the swann website for an update. can I use another program instead? if so what would you recommend?

107138_1.jpg

see the bad lines on the image? also it "should" be colour.

here is some video footage