danny_

CCTV Types of cables Cat Vs Coax, What one?

oops!

So i am after the best way to wire up 16 cameras in a warehouse, The camera's i was looking at were all run by coax, After doing some calculations it would cost me about $500 for all the cabling + connectors.

I am also looking at doing it with cat 5 cable and using Video/ power baluns so i can transfer both video and power on the same line. Now people that have used this method is it good? Do you get video/quality loss or is it the same as coax?

No run will be longer then 80meters, I am pushing towards the Cat5 cable but i know nothing about this method of doing it.

This is the video balun that i am talking about.

I cant post html so

If you go to dealextreme(dot)com and type in SKU 15981 you will see what iam talking about.

Hi and welcome to the forum...

I have had mixed results using cat5. In the beginning, I only used cat5 but not too long after I switched to coax. Yes, more expensive but less trouble in the long run. They do make 4 channel cat5 to coax converters whereas you can run one cat5 cable and haul 4 cameras. Baluns are not required as at each end the camera/DVR will connect to the converter via BNC connectors. As far as powering over cat5 again mixed results. Long runs and a camera requiring a lot of amperage draw will not work as cat5 is 24 gauge and line loss is significant.

It's a toss up... I personally will only use coax BUT have used cat5 as recently as last week where I had to install 3 cameras on a rooftop. I ran cat5 AND separate power lines through 1/2" conduit using the above-mentioned converters with good results. Otherwise running 3 siamese cables through a very limited space would have been almost impossible on this property. In my opinion and past experience, powering and running video through the same cat5 cable has been problematic. I am not saying it did not work but I am very critical of my work and the end result.

The bottom line is this... cat5 is not shielded but coax is. You have to be careful where you run your cat5 staying away from fluorescent lighting and the like. Also, I like to install as few components as possible. Less components means better reliability.

I hope this has helped. I probably added more confusion. When in doubt, run coax and price the job accordingly. Remember, time is money and once you complete the job, going back costs money and possibly your reputation.

Thanks and good luck with your project.

Mike

Mike,

thanks for the information, I have decided to go with 75 Ohm RG59 Coax cable. The local electronics shop here in Sydney (Jaycar electronics) They sell a CCTV cable which has Coax and Power cables in the 1 cable a bit like this configuration.

Ooo[/b]

But all separated by foil and the plastic coating. I don't get any of the camera's till the 1st of September but i am sure i will have fun with it and it will work. I don't know how different cctv stuff is different to Radio stuff as i have been playing around with 50 ohm coax and Transmitters etc in the wonderful world of Ham Radio

cheers

Good choice. I come from the cable TV industry. 50ohm/75ohm, what's 25 ohms???? You know as well as I that shielding is important but not as critical but should be a concern.

Again, good luck and have fun.

Mike,

thanks for the information, I have decided to go with 75 Ohm RG59 Coax cable. The local electronics shop here in Sydney (Jaycar electronics) They sell a CCTV cable which has Coax and Power cables in the 1 cable a bit like this configuration.

Ooo[/b]

More commonly known as "Siamese cable" - it can be convenient to have both in one, but it can also be a hassle, as it doesn't wrap as easily as separate cables (ie. if you have to create a service loop or coil it up for later payout), and doesn't slide as easily through tight spaces or around tight corners when you're pulling it.

yes... siamese cable... just remember that you dont always have to run power all the way back to your dvr... it may be easier to have several seperate power units closer to your cameras and run the cable from one camera to the next...

I'm currently planning my system as well. I'm considering running cat5 along with the siamese cable to all camera locations, so I can upgrade to IP cameras as they come down in price.

Shouldn't be too much more labor to run the cat5 cable as they are running the siamese....